• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1973 Ericson 35 Mark II, $3,900, Located San Diego

SanDiegoFun

Magnificent Ericson 35 Mark II. Extensive restoration of parts has been in progress for over 4 years but now moving out of state and offering this gem to complete what would be the best restored example anywhere of this fine vessel. Over $10,000 spent on parts and professional labor alone:

- Particle blasted hull to remove all blisters.
- All imperfections ground and filled using West System epoxy.
- Cockpit deck epoxy filled and reinforced.
- Entire deck prepped and professionally painted using Interlux Smooth Interdeck coating maintaing existing non skid patterns.
- Mast and boom ground smooth, acid washed, and aluminum alodined. Professionally primed and painted gloss black with multiple sanding steps completed in between coats. The boat yard quoted $6,500 for this work alone.
The result is the most beautiful Ericson mast on earth.
- All original aluminum deck hardware polished to bare metal nickel and chrome plated to as new condition.
- All original through hulls removed and replaced with solid brass new units (professional bedded and installed).

The engine was removed as I had planned to install an electric propulsion unit. I have the original sails but they are in poor condition requiring replacement. This is certainly a project but the most difficult and costly tasks have been completed. The boat is currently kept at San Diego Boat Movers yard in mission gorge and can be kept there by the new owner to conveniently complete the restoration. They have power/water provided, monthly cost is well below slip fees and any type of work can be performed there. Sadly, I was looking forward to the day she would be launched but am now moving to Florida so must part with this project. Email me for pictures or call 858-663-7945 for info. Price is a giveaway.mast.jpgWP_20130821_009.jpgEricson Cleats.jpgDeck.jpg

Attachments

• Ericson Through Hull.jpg
    Ericson Through Hull.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 175

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
That is a nice looking mast and boom. What kind of paint was used for the top coat, and what kind of primer beneath? Do you have the standing rigging? What kind of shape is it in? Running rigging?

A used A4 engine may run $3-5k. A diesel maybe 10K. With the cost and the work to put it back together, maybe this is comparable to other mid-teens priced, mid-seventies 35 footers in need of new sails. Not seeing the "giveaway," though.

The "redone" hull finish looks old and crazed. Same for the "new" brass through-hull. What's up with that?

The refinished cockpit and decks do look nice, though.

Last edited:

SanDiegoFun

Consideration

The mast was professionally restored to a custom state way beyond the original factory treatment. Ericson along with other builder mast's of the time were unpainted and treated with a type of chem film. You can see how they look today and many just ignore it. This mast was ground smooth, acid washed and alodined. Can't remember the primer used but the most costly available from San Diego marine exchange. 2 coats applied with sanding between coats. Then painted with Awlgrip for 3 coats with fine sanding between coats. Show me another Ericson mast/boom like this and I'll go bungee jumping!

BTW, I have a firm offer for the mast alone for $2,500 so it is obvious that this boats part value alone is well worth it.

The hull and deck are rock solid. The deck was painted with Interlux after extensive prep. All the deck cleat hardware and fittings were sent to a shop that polished, nickel and chrome plated to better than new condition (note Ericson supplied originals are typically heavily oxidized on all the boats I've seen). This work cost me $600 and was a bargain for the result.

All blisters on the hull were ground and epoxy filled. Of course any 46 year old boat will have gelcoat cracks and in the final stage of launch this can be easily addressed with the final barrier epoxy coat before bottom paint. The through hulls are new and were installed 2 years ago so naturally will look tarnished while sitting exposed.

I never said this was not a project but for the right person, she can be brought back to a better than new condition. certainly much of the work performed already exceeds factory original so I would put her in a different class than others.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I hope it finds a new home and sails again.
The E-35-2 is generally on most "top ten" lists of the best of modern classic sailboats. Very much a Timeless Design.
:egrin:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Ok. The more factually you describe it, the better it sounds. Awlgrip is a top quality paint.

Last edited: