• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Folding/ feathering prop for Ericson 26-2...Does anyone know the specs needed?

lehmannsean

I have an Ericson 26-2 that I am starting to race in local club races and some point-to-point races. It certainly isn't a speedster but I love her anyway. I am thinking that by replacing my fixed pitch 2 bladed prop with a folding prop I may gain a half a knot or so. My problem is that I cannot find out what specs I need for the prop. My diver said the shaft is 3/4 inch and prop diameter is 12 inches but he said all of the other stamping is either worn off the prop or cant be read.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a folding or feathering prop for a 1988 Ericson 26-2? What pitch would be best? I assume it's a right hand prop? Which manufacturer and model have other Ericson owners had luck with? Are there drawbacks to folding props that I need to be aware of? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have an Ericson 26-2 that I am starting to race in local club races and some point-to-point races. It certainly isn't a speedster but I love her anyway. I am thinking that by replacing my fixed pitch 2 bladed prop with a folding prop I may gain a half a knot or so. My problem is that I cannot find out what specs I need for the prop. My diver said the shaft is 3/4 inch and prop diameter is 12 inches but he said all of the other stamping is either worn off the prop or cant be read.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a folding or feathering prop for a 1988 Ericson 26-2? What pitch would be best? I assume it's a right hand prop? Which manufacturer and model have other Ericson owners had luck with? Are there drawbacks to folding props that I need to be aware of? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
You might check with these people: http://www.martec-props.com/ (I see that they moved from Long Beach to Prescott, AZ. :esad:) In any case, the prop pitch for a given diameter/number of blades is not a function of the boat but primarily of the engine hp and transmission gear ratio.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Are there drawbacks to folding props that I need to be aware of?

One downside is that your PHRF rating will take a sizeable hit (probably 6 seconds/mile) if you go from a fixed prop to a folding prop.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
One downside is that your PHRF rating will take a sizeable hit (probably 6 seconds/mile) if you go from a fixed prop to a folding prop.
Additional drawbacks: (1) They require maintenance. (2) They often suck in reverse. (3) Sometimes they can get temperamental about a blade getting stuck.

I had a two-blade Martec folder on a previous boat and it worked well enough. On my Ericson 26-2 (same as yours) I went with a three blade fixed Campbell-Sailer prop. I'm sure it has more drag than a two-blade folder would but much less than a standard fixed prop, and the performance is excellent. Take a look at MaineSail's informative review: https://forums.sailboatowners.com//index.php?threads/prop-review-campbell-sailor.112587/

Roger Janeway

Member II
My 1986 26 footer, of which I am the happy and recent third owner, came equipped with a Martec MKIII folding propeller. It is a 2-blade, measured at 12"x12", mounted on the 3/4" shaft.

The pitch has not been adjusted for a long time and it might now be too powerful for my engine, which maxes out at 2500 rpm or less in gear. If I go to full throttle, black smoke comes out as I get close to 6 kt. But the diesel mechanic said not to worry.

I have no problems with the prop in reverse or forward. It does have some port prop walk, but so would a fixed blade. (And I feel I once read a convincing argument that a folding prop has less prop walk.) The blades open fast in reverse: If I give a short blast when docking, it feels like I applied the brakes.

Gary Beck who now runs Martec Prop Service recommended that I refurbish it. He wrote me:

We can get it in good shape and re-pitch it at the same time. (a full refurbish + re-pitch should run approx. $355.00 or less + S&H)​

Typically the propellers should be refurbished after time (approx 4-10 years, depending on the environment the prop lives in, amount/type of use, the size of prop, number of different operators.)​

For more information please go to our website www.martec-props.com, click on Eliptec propeller, and then click on refurbishing a prop.​

Sadly, the idea of refurbishing the prop occurred to me only after I’d hauled the boat, painted the bottom, and put it back in the water. My local dive service says the Martec folding prop is the one prop that has to be removed on dry land. It has a lot of tiny parts for a diver to drop. So I might do this next year when I haul the boat, but really, the prop seems to work fine (I typically power out of MDR for about 30 minutes, and on the trip north from Dana Point after buying the boat went about 5.5 kt for 5-6 hours steady under power.)

The former owners raced, which must be why they put in the folding prop, and they marked the shaft so that under way, you can easily twist it to the position in which both blades are swept back. To obtain maximum drag reduction, you must do this. If you just turn off the engine and sail, chances are that one blade will be hanging down and create some drag. Still, this must be less drag than a fixed prop. A few times I have reached down and twisted the shaft to reduce the drag. It’s annoying for a large person with a bad back in the tight confines of a 26 footer, but doable. You have to crawl into the quarter berth and temporarily remove a panel. I can’t tell how much difference it makes since my knotmeter doesn’t work. (I rely on a Garmin Foretrex to see my speed, but it uses satellites, not the paddle wheel below the fo'c'sle.)

Here is Gary's contact information:

Gary Beck
Martec Prop Service, LLC
14520 N Music Trl
Prescott, AZ 86305
Tel: 928-778-2035
Bus. Hrs. 8am - 5pm (MT)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
My 1986 26 footer, of which I am the happy and recent third owner, came equipped with a Martec MKIII folding propeller. It is a 2-blade, measured at 12"x12", mounted on the 3/4" shaft.

The pitch has not been adjusted for a long time and it might now be too powerful for my engine, which maxes out at 2500 rpm or less in gear. If I go to full throttle, black smoke comes out as I get close to 6 kt. But the diesel mechanic said not to worry.

I have no problems with the prop in reverse or forward. It does have some port prop walk, but so would a fixed blade. (And I feel I once read a convincing argument that a folding prop has less prop walk.) The blades open fast in reverse: If I give a short blast when docking, it feels like I applied the brakes.

Gary Beck who now runs Martec Prop Service recommended that I refurbish it. He wrote me:
We can get it in good shape and re-pitch it at the same time. (a full refurbish + re-pitch should run approx. $355.00 or less + S&H)​
Typically the propellers should be refurbished after time (approx 4-10 years, depending on the environment the prop lives in, amount/type of use, the size of prop, number of different operators.)​
For more information please go to our website www.martec-props.com, click on Eliptec propeller, and then click on refurbishing a prop.​

Sadly, the idea of refurbishing the prop occurred to me only after I’d hauled the boat, painted the bottom, and put it back in the water. My local dive service says the Martec folding prop is the one prop that has to be removed on dry land. It has a lot of tiny parts for a diver to drop. So I might do this next year when I haul the boat, but really, the prop seems to work fine (I typically power out of MDR for about 30 minutes, and on the trip north from Dana Point after buying the boat went about 5.5 kt for 5-6 hours steady under power.)

The former owners raced, which must be why they put in the folding prop, and they marked the shaft so that under way, you can easily twist it to the position in which both blades are swept back. To obtain maximum drag reduction, you must do this. If you just turn off the engine and sail, chances are that one blade will be hanging down and create some drag. Still, this must be less drag than a fixed prop. A few times I have reached down and twisted the shaft to reduce the drag. It’s annoying for a large person with a bad back in the tight confines of a 26 footer, but doable. You have to crawl into the quarter berth and temporarily remove a panel. I can’t tell how much difference it makes since my knotmeter doesn’t work. (I rely on a Garmin Foretrex to see my speed, but it uses satellites, not the paddle wheel below the fo'c'sle.)

Here is Gary's contact information:

Gary Beck
Martec Prop Service, LLC
14520 N Music Trl
Prescott, AZ 86305
Tel: 928-778-2035
Bus. Hrs. 8am - 5pm (MT)
Roger,

It may be that what your local dive service told you is right. But there is a diver who works the San Pedro area named Greg Cooke, and if anyone could swap out that prop in the water he would be the guy. It wouldn't hurt to give him a call at 562-209-5999 or e-mail at divercooke@gmail.com.

Alan

lehmannsean

Additional drawbacks: (1) They require maintenance. (2) They often suck in reverse. (3) Sometimes they can get temperamental about a blade getting stuck.

I had a two-blade Martec folder on a previous boat and it worked well enough. On my Ericson 26-2 (same as yours) I went with a three blade fixed Campbell-Sailer prop. I'm sure it has more drag than a two-blade folder would but much less than a standard fixed prop, and the performance is excellent. Take a look at MaineSail's informative review: https://forums.sailboatowners.com//index.php?threads/prop-review-campbell-sailor.112587/

Thank you.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I have the same boat and bought a flex o fold 12" dia. and 7 pitch and its perfect , my crusing speed is much better than the old martec i replaced. very happy . a two blade prop is way more that the 6 seconds on your PHRF certificate

lehmannsean

I have the same boat and bought a flex o fold 12" dia. and 7 pitch and its perfect , my crusing speed is much better than the old martec i replaced. very happy . a two blade prop is way more that the 6 seconds on your PHRF certificate

Thank you very much. From what I could tell the six second hit is way less than the actual penalty I've been getting with my fixed prop. I was wondering about cruising as well and if you had performance that was just as good. I've been looking at flexofold and didn't know what pitch to look at. Any drawbacks that you've noticed?

Brad Johnson

Member III
Thank you very much. From what I could tell the six second hit is way less than the actual penalty I've been getting with my fixed prop. I was wondering about cruising as well and if you had performance that was just as good. I've been looking at flexofold and didn't know what pitch to look at. Any drawbacks that you've noticed?

The only drawback was not doing it earier, ITS PERFECT!!!!