• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What safety eq / spares are absolutely essential?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi folks,

Doing final provisioning for a week long cruise at the start of July, and considering final spares and safety equipment I might need to have that I don't currently. I'm thinking things like, thru-hull corks/plugs, spare fuel filters, and so on.

What sort of dummy / no sh*t safety equipment would you never leave the dock for a cruise without?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
A set of wrenches large enough to adjust the stuffing box nut. A wrench large enough to change propane tanks (if so equipped.). BTDT.

What engine do you have?

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
A set of wrenches large enough to adjust the stuffing box nut. A wrench large enough to change propane tanks (if so equipped.). BTDT.

What engine do you have?

Universal M25, should prolly put that in my signature. No propane tanks other than the lil green ones.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
A spare v-belt, hose splices for all the common hose sizes on the boat, extra hose clamps. Oil, coolant, beer.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
For safety equipment, I think the USCG list of required equipment is a good place to start. I add a number of things to it (eg, a throw-rope, a boat-hook, etc.) A good first-aid kit. Flashlights. a good knife. A working VHF is an essential. Other electronics are probably up for argument - a PLB or EPIRB, a GPS tracker, etc. Paper charts aren't strictly required, but I like having 'em. A handheld GPS is a nice backup if all the boat-electronics go south.

For spares... my list seems to keep growing. For sure, any essential fluids: oil, coolant, transmission fluid. Bungs and hose-clamps. A spare impeller. An assortment of hose-joiners and hoses. Spare fuel-filters and oil-filters. Sorbent pads and shop towels. A couple of lengths of good, strong line (old halyards, for example, make decent emergency-shrouds or tow-lines in a pinch). An assortment of fasteners. Wire ties. Common tools. A small lighter. Warm clothes. Sunblock. A couple of 1-lb bottles of propane and an adapter in case the main tank goes dry. A few spare jugs of water. Holding-tank-friendly toilet paper.

I also bring a 12V "jump starter", just in case I use up all the electrons in my batteries.

Oh, and duct tape ;)

Bruce

required.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'll add:

Roll of quarters for marina showers.

Heavy wetsuit, mask, and snorkel. If not for recreation then for clearing fouled lines out of the prop and rudder.

Can you tell I'm only mentioning Things That Have Been Needed But Not Found On Board before?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Things I have left behind and regretted leaving behind:

--the oars for the dinghy

--the docklines

--the shore power cord

Things I have regretting bringing:

--Too much stuff.

--A "yachting performance" attitude, instead of the attitude of a steward on a cruise ship (which is what I am). Carlton Mitchell said he always cruised at "80 percent racing efficiency." I say, 40 percent.

Last edited:

Teranodon

Member III
- Bolt-cutters, in case of dismasting. Harbor Freight has affordable ones. I tested them on wire rope. They work.

- Horn-in-a-can. I keep mine in the cockpit for quick use.

- Emergency tiller, readily accessible.

- A sheet of paper in the nav desk, with clearly-worded instructions on how to use the radio to make a mayday call.

- Towing insurance.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Adapting Propane

Any detail/recommendations on source for the propane adapter? I had always imagined the sad day when I was trying to make coffee on the Magma.

For safety equipment, I think the USCG list of required equipment is a good place to start. I add a number of things to it (eg, a throw-rope, a boat-hook, etc.) A good first-aid kit. Flashlights. a good knife. A working VHF is an essential. Other electronics are probably up for argument - a PLB or EPIRB, a GPS tracker, etc. Paper charts aren't strictly required, but I like having 'em. A handheld GPS is a nice backup if all the boat-electronics go south.

For spares... my list seems to keep growing. For sure, any essential fluids: oil, coolant, transmission fluid. Bungs and hose-clamps. A spare impeller. An assortment of hose-joiners and hoses. Spare fuel-filters and oil-filters. Sorbent pads and shop towels. A couple of lengths of good, strong line (old halyards, for example, make decent emergency-shrouds or tow-lines in a pinch). An assortment of fasteners. Wire ties. Common tools. A small lighter. Warm clothes. Sunblock. A couple of 1-lb bottles of propane and an adapter in case the main tank goes dry. A few spare jugs of water. Holding-tank-friendly toilet paper.

I also bring a 12V "jump starter", just in case I use up all the electrons in my batteries.

Oh, and duct tape ;)

Bruce

View attachment 27117

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Things I have regretting bringing:

--A "yachting performance" attitude, instead of the attitude of a steward on a cruise ship (which is what I am). Carlton Mitchell said he always cruised at "80 percent racing efficiency." I say, 40 percent.

Just want to say thanks everyone for the suggestions. I feel a lot of responsibility being the only sailor in a group of 4, and it being my boat, and me holding all the keys to the castle as far as planning, logistics, activities, and then literally the lives of the guests, so contingency planning feels important to me...

This is a good reminder from Christian, though - I find myself on weekend day-sails with friends getting silent as I stare at telltales, ask people to adjust the vang mid-conversation, and so on...I'd do well to just "ease til it luffs and bring it back in" and keep the drinks cold.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Geoff,

Since you mentioned you are the only sailor on board, I'll add one very important essential - Train your crew!

You should have a safety review before you leave the dock with everyone. Cover the basics: Where are PFD's? Where are fire extinguishers? Where is med kit. How to go up and down the companionway safely. One had for the boat and one for yourself. How to operate the VHF. Etc.

And most importantly what to do in a MOB situation. You must assume that YOU are going to be the MOB and these people will need to be able to figure out how to turn around and get you back into the boat. If they don't know how to sail they need to know at least how to drop them/furl them and get the engine started. Assign someone to never take their eyes off the MOB while doing this. Where is the throwable and how to throw it. How to drop the ladder or set a hoist to get you on board. etc, etc, etc.

All other emergencies you are going to be on board to direct people. But if you are in the water watching them merrily sail away you are in a very bad spot.

Once under way, involve them in the operations of the boat to reinforce these rules. They will enjoy themselves more and increase their usefulness and decrease your work load along the way.

Sounds like you've got a great trip planned. Now lets hope the weather gods cooperate!

Good Luck

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Teranodon

Member III
I just got back from a solo 3-day cruise in the Canadian Gulf Islands, and learned about another item that I need to carry: a joker valve for the Raritan head. I just ordered two on Amazon. Really looking forward to putting it in....

Earlier, I mentioned that the emergency tiller needs to be readily at hand, not buried somewhere. But I forgot to mention a handy little custom tool for removing the cover over the steering post. I keep it, labelled, in the nav desk.

I carry a pair of heavy duty, high-end lineman's pliers. High-end so they don't get frozen with rust. A good general-purpose tool that gets used a lot.

fool

Member III
Earlier, I mentioned that the emergency tiller needs to be readily at hand, not buried somewhere. But I forgot to mention a handy little custom tool for removing the cover over the steering post. I keep it, labelled, in the nav desk.

I lashed mine to one of the spokes. This is one of those things that I put someplace so I won't forget where it is and then never can find it there. Better perhaps to have it at hand when I might need it.