• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Swiftsure 2019 - Ericson Finisher

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
This year's Swiftsure was a total drifter, with 176 boats registered but only 16 making it to the finish, not including 3 in bounders that didn't make it before the final cutoff. The dusk of the first night was nonstop VHF chatter of people calling it off for lack of patience and provisioning.

I saw 3 Ericsons out there, a 38, 34, and 33RH. Happy to report the 38, "Balder 2", was one of the 16 finishers! I got to check out their boat before the race, nice setup though the skipper bemoaned the Roll of Death when sailing under a chute downwind in a stiff breeze. Those 38s sure are nice though :)

https://www.swiftsure.org/live-race-results/

I was on a Schock 35 and we made it across the line last night around 130AM. Definite test of patience but spirits stayed high and we were happy to stick it out.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If I were racing a 38 I would explore downwind jibing. The angle might be small, the numbers might be close, but it's true that when overpowered DDW the hull form does roll.

Perhaps some of our E38 racers know whether sailing the angles actually works.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
A couple pics of "our boys" out there. The owner of the E38 said he wasn't really on the forums, and I never met the smaller one's owner.

ericson1.jpg

ericson2.jpg

shepherdsond

Member I
Yes that was us in the E33, stuck it out till 1100am but with 6 miles to go to the Neah Bay turnaround, cut off time at noon and 2 knots of speed we bailed out and joined the other 100+ non-finishers..

p.gazibara

Member III
This year's Swiftsure was a total drifter

What at Year was it not?? I believe that is whay the slogan is “always a challenge.”

We raced Cinderella in the lightship classic back in 2017. We used the race to shake down the rig after we pulled it for inspection before we took off cruising. It was the same then, big currents, little wind. It did eventually fill in and we were holding 9-10kts heading back from the Swiftsure Bank under our biggest kite.

Race rocks had had a trick up its sleeve. When we got there, the wind shifted 90 degrees and started gusting... first time I ever knocked Cinderella down. The rig stayed up though!

Somehow we finished, we were definitely the only electric boat in the mix. Nearly our whole class dropped out, with only three of us finishing.

Cinderella even won the Lantern Rouge, the last boat to finish the race!

-P