• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 fuel tank under V berth

Sailingfun

Member III
Hi there
I got a very tired Ericsson 27. The most unusual thing is have the diesel tank below the V berth and copper lines running all until the engine (Volvo m7) in the back.
Also, this sailboat come with a Lectrasan unit below V berth too.
All seems very original, even it's on the manual specs.
Originally come with a club jib at front but previous owner remove it and install a roller furler and a 100% genoa.
Also, very rare, come with 200 pound of lead on blocs at bilge; I remove the lead and now sailboat sit very high over the water but with original flotation line on the right place.
This configuration seems to me kind of custom... any other 27 with same config?
For the rest, all seems very standard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A weighty question

The engine brand and tank placement sounds like EY was responding to a customer request ($$) when the boat was constructed.
They did a lot of semi-custom stuff, usually for deck hardware, but also for aux. power.

The lead blocks, OTOH, are alluded to in their 70's brochure where they pictured every finished boat being floated in a company pool. Then final trim adjustments would be made to get each one to float "on its lines".

i believe that others here commented on finding lead trim ballast in their boats.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
My '87 34-2 has lead blocks fiber glassed in under the port aft berth. It appears Ericson was balancing it so it stands straight up at the berth.

The installation of the tank in the 27 may have been done by an owner.

Last edited:

Sailingfun

Member III
Those lead bricks....

I dig on the lead bricks today. Seems like was installed by previous owners, it's crude lead, no glassed. My bilge next to head is a mess.
Also boat without lead seat almost perfectly on the water, original waterline show up, cover by bottom paint.
Like I said before, it's a very tired ericsson, have thousand deck holes and useless hardware from previous owners.
But have good bones, will take time to fix a couple softy spots at forward deck, remove stanchions, fix multiple stress points, clean and remove the mess of electrical wiring and paint all bilge area with totalbilge.
Only upgrade I'm thinking is install a boom furler I build for myself with an old roller furler I got months ago.
Wish me luck, this is a good one for those handy inclined.
I explore the saildrive seal and found it's original. More work. I would definitely remove the engine in order to fix the saildrive
:rolleyes:
Thanks you for your answers! I'm sure will need more!