• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine stall

Bolo

Contributing Partner
When I return from a sail I back my E32-3 down the fairway and into the slip. To set that up I bring the boat to a point about 75 feet or so off the fairway entrance and at about a 45 degree angle to it with the fairway to my port side. Then I shift into reverse, turn the rudder hard to port and rev the engine. The prop walk turns my stern right towards the fairway and the rest is easy.

But sometimes during the process, when I throttle down in forward and before shifting into reverse the engine often dies, like it’s starved for fuel. To overcomes this I sometimes need to keep the throttle open a bit and the RPMs up a little but not to much. First thought would be clogged fuel filters right? Well, this happened the other day after I changed out the primary and secondary so I don’t think it that but maybe it’s the fuel pump. I’ve never replaced it. The engine works great all of the other time but will stall (when throttled back) after it’s hot and been pushing the boat for awhile. I should also say that all it takes to restart is a push of the starter button without even touching the throttle. Anyone have this problem or a solution?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Idle RPMs

Check your idle RPMs when the engine is cold and again when it's hot. If you find that the hot idle RPMs are less then try setting the idle speed a bit higher. It's stalling under idle power so just may need a little boost.

Second Star

Member III
There is a filter in the bottom of the facet fuel pump too. Mainesail discusses it in his forum. Kinda out there but the governor may be sticking a bit.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There may be an adjuster on the throttle cable, or a bolt on the cable receiver housing, that will prevent the shifter from reducing to less than 800 rpms or so. (If you use a kill cable to shut down)

Mine is set up so that to turn off the diesel you just hold the throttle all the way aft.

I have to be careful not to pull too hard--and shut it down under just the circumstances you describe. A spring on the cable can be adjusted to determine the pressure required.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Idle speed?

There may be an adjuster on the throttle cable, or a bolt on the cable receiver housing, that will prevent the shifter from reducing to less than 800 rpms or so. (If you use a kill cable to shut down)

Mine is set up so that to turn off the diesel you just hold the throttle all the way aft.

I have to be careful not to pull too hard--and shut it down under just the circumstances you describe. A spring on the cable can be adjusted to determine the pressure required.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and I’m going to check things out ASAP. Was out for a sail yesterday but sailed into Back Creek (where my marina is located) before starting the engine and it didn’t stall. This makes me think that the problem is somewhat related to how hot the engine is after running it for a more extended period. What should the “normal” rpm be for a 25XP engine? 800 RPM?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes. Ours idled at about 800 to 900 rpm. Actually the replacement Betamarine (also a -newer- Kubota block) is approx. the same.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Trial and error

Warm up your engine to operating temp at the slip. Throttle back and note the idle RPMs, as suggested 800 is a good start. I wouldn't change what you presently read unless it is significantly below that 800 figure. If it is below, adjust it to 800 and give that a try. If it is in the 800 range then adjust your idle to about 50 more RPMs. Then see what happens the next time you run the engine hard.

markalan

Member II
I have the same motor and 800 RPMS will work, as noted the motor must be sufficiently warmed up or it will stall at idle. I find that if I heat the glow plugs for about 40-45 seconds it makes a big difference. Additionally, let the motor warm up for about 5 min. Note the motor will start with glow plug press for less time but when I low idle it wants to stall.

I have to do this routine every time even on a hot day. I have to do it after sailing before heading back to slip. But it works.

Warm up your engine to operating temp at the slip. Throttle back and note the idle RPMs, as suggested 800 is a good start. I wouldn't change what you presently read unless it is significantly below that 800 figure. If it is below, adjust it to 800 and give that a try. If it is in the 800 range then adjust your idle to about 50 more RPMs. Then see what happens the next time you run the engine hard.