• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cabin trunk gelcoat

steven

Sustaining Member
On the front of the trunk cabin, the gelcoat has worn through. Looks green-ish/grey-ish.
Is there a pain, coating or technique that can be used to restore ?

Thanks

--Steve

Attachments

• deck gelcoat view2  2019-0522.jpg
    deck gelcoat view2 2019-0522.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 14
  • deck gelcoat close up 2019-0522 (1).jpg
    deck gelcoat close up 2019-0522 (1).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Steve,
Is this the only area where the gelcoat has worn away, or are your pics just one of many areas that have worn?
If it's only that area and the other gelcoat is still good, it would be a fairly easy fix. If it's worn and faded all over, then painting might be the easier solution. Let us know so the advice can be tailored to your needs.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A lot of us have painted our reverse transoms, which get a lot of sun over the years. The transom is forgiving of color variation from the gel coat because it's a separate plane.

The issue everywhere else is that the color won't exactly match. That's true of gel coat or Awlgrip (which I used on the transom).

However, you could always paint your coach roof in a frame of painter's tape, intentionally making the new-coated area a rectangle or ellipse or whatever you like.

Then, in a fit of elegance, place in it the yacht name decal -- as if the area was intended for that all along.

Also: some free-lance boat painters will paint the whole deck for not too much dough, right in the slip. I'd never take that on myself, but we have a guy here who has brought back many old boats to really shiny perfection.

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
it's just the fwd surface of the coach roof. The rest is fine.
(Not clear why this went. Maybe northern exposure in the slip for multiple winters or something. But it appeared suddenly, that is, I only noticed it a few months ago.

An easy fix would be great.

--Steve