• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fire extinguisher and flare life

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
In a sailboat, the whole idea of 'overdue' seems less useful. And asking somebody to decide when you're overdue seems quite a burden on them.

I mostly agree... especially as the boat is always sending real-time position through one path (Garmin InReach), and I have a separate way to send *my* position in real-time through a different path (PLB on the inflatable PFD I'm wearing anytime I leave the breakwater).

But I'd offer two thought-vectors.

1) people at home sometimes feel... disconnected? powerless?... if I'm gone for days at a time. Yeah, someone can look up my track and see where I am, but that is a blip on a screen, not a set of "everything is OK" info. Dearth of info leads to worry, and it seems to be a small leap from "I don't know how things are going" to "oh my gosh, what do I DO if there is a problem???". Just leaving behind info about where I'm supposed to be and when I expect to be there - plus lots of ways to find me - somehow helps lower the domestic stress level.

2) If the worst happens (not sure of a scenario that would wipe out ALL the electronic paths, but let's play what-if) it's nice to know that if someone has to search for me, they at least know what to look for and an idea of where to start.

It's a small investment of time, probably nugatory, but... somehow still has at least some perceived value.

Bruce

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
As much for the family as me, I have a Garmin Inreach mini on a velcro strap that moves between the shoulder strap of my PFD and top jacket pocket of the motorcycle jacket. Fantastic device. Even when there is no cell service, I can pick a message such as "Good morning" "Good night" "All is well" or "Am OK but could you call a tow for me?" If things got really ugly it of course also has the SAR-SAT HELP button.

The cool thing is that it'll also link to my phone for the big display.
52719320_519304311927962_4231150737554120608_n.jpg

Last edited: