• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor rode on a drum?

Gaviate

Member III
Hello to all,
I have recently replaced rotten core of foredeck on my E27. In so doing, I closed off the hauser hole leading to storage in forepeak which I found to be really anoying and not user friendly at all. I also at the same time built up the foretriangle so that the area is now flush with top of toe rail in anticipation of adding a bow roller for anchor.
Now my idea (brilliant?) is to find a spot on deck to mount a drum to store the rode topsides and keep the mess out of my boat.
Rolling it up on a drum would keep things tidy and eliminates the potential for knots often found in poorly tended three strand line. So now I'm interested in the thoughts of the experienced (you all) as to what unforeseen problems my brilliant idea may present. It might be better for me to know about them ahead of time:)

Thanks for sharing
--Gaviate

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do-able, but probably not advisable

Commercial fishing boats always have their anchor rode on a hydraulic drum on the foredeck. But those boats are heavy enough that the weight up high will not appreciably change the trim or balance and they are not tacking a jib and sheets back and forth across that deck.

With a minimum of 27 feet of chain and about 250 feet of three-strand of line you'd have quite drum full to work around.

It would be different for an "expedition style" sailing boat over 50' or 60'.

Gaviate

Member III
Commercial fishing boats always have their anchor rode on a hydraulic drum on the foredeck. But those boats are heavy enough that the weight up high will not appreciably change the trim or balance and they are not tacking a jib and sheets back and forth across that deck.

With a minimum of 27 feet of chain and about 250 feet of three-strand of line you'd have quite drum full to work around.

It would be different for an "expedition style" sailing boat over 50' or 60'.

Its true, I also was concerned about the travel path for jib and sheets but expect I could fabricate a smooth "house" to cover drum and parts. Thanks for the input about weight, I would never have considered it.... untill I was upside down, then I might wonder!

sailing42

Member II
anchor rode

On my E27 I used some 3 inch diameter white PVC pipe, elbows etc and lead my anchor rode down the side of the V-berth into the second compartment form the bow. The top is covered by a oval deck pipe with a hinged top. I made a false floor for the second compartment so that the rode and chain sit on a level floor and not in the "V". With the chain exiting the deck pipe the top is partially closed and I have not had any issues with water getting in.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In the old days many sailboats carried their rode on deck, and an anchor in chocks. Manila had to dry out. Chain was not widely used among cruisers. Bows were bows, not deck-access storage lockers.

It still works.

1-TinaPS169_HQ.jpg