• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Survey: E35-3 Propane Control Panel Location

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm a little lost on the issue of "reaching over the stove."

You turn the propane system on before you light the burners. And you turn it off after you extinguish the burners.

Yes? No? What am I missing?

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I'm a little lost on the issue of "reaching over the stove."

You turn the propane system on before you light the burners. And you turn it off after you extinguish the burners.

Yes? No? What am I missing?
I'm thinking of the emergency situation where something has gone haywire and you need to quickly shut off the gas in a pinch. I suppose that could also be done over at the DC panel (would serve the same purpose).
Additionally, I've seen very nice paper towel holder mountings that would utilize that space....

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Another question: what do your propane locker fittings look like?

In looking at the equipment which came with my stove, the regulator and tank connector (which is the old POL style), propane valve and line are all arranged in a linear fashion which I don't think will fit in the propane locker. I'd be exceedingly appreciative if those with the 32-3/35-3/38 would be willing to share a few photos of their setups.

Also, another user (Kenneth K) had a similar question (though specifically related to the tank connection style and if anyone had updated to the newer style):
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...98-Propane-Tank-Connections&highlight=Propane

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My stuff looks pretty much like Kenneth's (in the link just above) . It fits, but takes some fiddling, and of course there's a solenoid too.

I'd also like to know what the current recommendations are.

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Yeah this is what mine looks like. Ain't no way that's fitting n that locker!
IMG_20190525_122205.jpg

But in general (based on Kenneth K's picture) it looks like a T-fitting coming from the tank connector, which has a gauge on one side (measuring tank pressure) and the regulator on the other side. I'll need to see if there's enough space to fit the solenoid on the end of the regulator with room in the locker.

Do most have the solenoid fixed to a bracket somewhere in the locker with a hose going from regulator to solenoid? Hard to tell from the picture...

For the pass-through (to get the propane line forward to the stove) I was hoping to make this as high as possible to take advantage of propane's natural tendency to sink and exit out the drain hole in the bottom of the locker rather than going into the bilge should there ever be a leak.

Lastly, I'll do some digging into what the current recommendations are, but I do prefer that QCC-1 connector merely from the standpoint of ease of use. My grill uses one and I much prefer it to the old POLs.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That many gadgets probably shouldn't hang off a tank connector. In fact, my regulators did come with wall-mounting brackets. The tank-mounted one that came with the boat failed early on.
I'm still adrift over the proper way for hose to exit the locker. It seems like a gas-tight bulkhead fitting would be the correct thing to use, but that puts a fitting (potential leak) on the outside of the locker. Just sticking a hose through a hole (even a tight hole) seems to defeat the purpose a bit.
FWIW, here's what mine looks like (NOT yet installed in a proper locker, as shown but it might be made to fit. Or vice verse.) Simpler is probably better (see: number of potential leaks.) Solenoid (HP-rated) is on a Tee behind the pressure gauge.

IMG_2060.jpg

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Noted. I do think mounting at least the solenoid to the locker wall high might make sense. Admittedly I need to do more test fitting of the tank in the locker to see what makes sense. But in general, I agree - less hanging off the connector is better. Every grill I've seen has the regulator mounted directly to the connector, but then a grill is not in a typically vibration-prone environment like a sailboat equipped with a Diesel (or pounding through waves upwind for that matter).
Also, in checking the ABYC guidelines for LPG it states that a gauge must be present on the tank side of the regulator, so I'll need to add that. It also states that the locker must be gasketed (mine is not) and latch (mine does not, but this would be a fairly easy thing to add; I suppose a simple foam gasket could be too...)
Thanks a bunch for the input!

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Getting the tank connection components in the locker - it can be done if you can find the right stuff. I'll post a picture of my propane connection in the locker this weekend. I have the connector, gauge and solenoid valve all inside and supported only by the connector. I received the boat this way (2003) and have never had a problem with it. I'll also show how the hose exits the locker.

Craig

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Well, I hope I didn't speak too soon, since I don't know where the propane locker is on your 35-3. If it (or they) are on either side of the helm seat and are similar in size and shape to the 38's two lockers, then these pictures may help. I hope so anyway.

I have two 10 lb. aluminum tanks. The RH side is plumbed to the galley stove/oven and the LH, on the opposite side of the helm seat, is the spare and there is no plumbing there. So all these shots are of the RH side, which is closer to the galley stove anyway. Note that the outboard portion of the locker has an extension with a shelf about halfway down. That extension adds lots of space and that helps fit all the plumbing. I don't know if other lockers have that extension or not.

The propane hose goes through the wall of the locker as shown and then runs up high and forward in the RH lazarette, under the coaming, and then dives down and I think it passes under or perhaps outboard of an ice box to get to the stove. The galley is aft right, same as yours. The solenoid wiring hasn't been traced, but you can see where it exits the locker above the hose.

20190525_205422-small.jpg 20190525_205543-small.jpg 20190525_205618-small.jpg 20190525_205612-small.jpg

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Thanks so much!!!!
From what I understand, the 32-3, 35-3 and all of the 38s have the same propane lockers - to Port and Starboard of the lazarette. Yours look identical to mine.
These pictures will be hugely valuable in routing my hardware.
Only thing I would change is I think I'll try to make the pass-through as high as possible though; yours looks like it's down toward the middle of the locker but well sealed. Also handy to see they made separate pass-throughs for electrical and gas.
Thanks once again for the pics!

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Cory - are they mounted to a bracket or directly to the flat Fiberglass wall in the locker? I'd be curious to see that install as well. I'd also be interested to see a confirmed "direct from Ericson" factory install. Most boats of my vintage seemed to come with the ubiquitous pressurized alcohol Galley Maids... But surely some were ordered with a propane range especially seeing as how they were equipped with the lockers and had the wiring ready for it, right?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Solving my own mystery:

1-ss--front sony.JPG1-ss-sony.JPG

That's a "Sony Crossover Network" for the stereo, not a "sniffer." Apparently it splits signals for woofer and subwoofers and so on. Does everybody have one? Beats me.

My original-equipment LPG gas panel from Marinetics of Newport, CA, is just a switch for the solenoid. I don't have a gas detector (propane sniffer) on this boat, far as I can see.

3-22-marinetics lpg panel rear.jpg2-22 switch.JPG

Here's the the propane locker. I must have used those cable ties to move the solenoid to the side for a better fit.

2-ss--propane locker.JPG

Last edited:

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Solving my own mystery:

View attachment 27105View attachment 27106

That's a "Sony Crossover Network" for the stereo, not a "sniffer." Apparently it splits signals for woofer and subwoofers and so on. Does everybody have one? Beats me.

My original-equipment LPG gas panel from Marinetics of Newport, CA, is just a switch for the solenoid. I don't have a gas detector (propane sniffer) on this boat, far as I can see.

View attachment 27111View attachment 27107

Here's the the propane locker. I must have used those cable ties to move the solenoid to the side for a better fit.

View attachment 27108

i don’t see a pressure gauge before the solenoid. It’s nice to use to check for leaks.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Ah yes, the one time I bought a new car (in 1990) I also bought a fancy stereo system for it. Separate crossover circuits were a big deal. Though I think that they are mostly built in to the amp these days.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
That's interesting Christian. I believe the original configuration on mine was the solenoid being controlled by the breaker on the DC panel. The PO added a 'sniffer' to the circuit with the new panel located where yours is and the sniffer sensor at the bottom of the stove. So now the solenoid can be turned off from both locations, but only opened from the sniffer panel (after the breaker is turned on).

Maybe your's didn't originally come with a solenoid shut off at all and that was added later, but before the sniffers were commonly available?

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It looks like a factory installation. I don't know why a separate solenoid switch was required, or why the stock panel "stove" breaker wouldn't suffice. (I have to turn them both on).

Anybody know?

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Well, I hope I didn't speak too soon, since I don't know where the propane locker is on your 35-3. If it (or they) are on either side of the helm seat and are similar in size and shape to the 38's two lockers, then these pictures may help. I hope so anyway.

I have two 10 lb. aluminum tanks. The RH side is plumbed to the galley stove/oven and the LH, on the opposite side of the helm seat, is the spare and there is no plumbing there. So all these shots are of the RH side, which is closer to the galley stove anyway. Note that the outboard portion of the locker has an extension with a shelf about halfway down. That extension adds lots of space and that helps fit all the plumbing. I don't know if other lockers have that extension or not.

The propane hose goes through the wall of the locker as shown and then runs up high and forward in the RH lazarette, under the coaming, and then dives down and I think it passes under or perhaps outboard of an ice box to get to the stove. The galley is aft right, same as yours. The solenoid wiring hasn't been traced, but you can see where it exits the locker above the hose.

View attachment 27070 View attachment 27071 View attachment 27072 View attachment 27073

Picture of my propane locker setup. Short pigtail from the bottle to the regulator that is mounted in the corner of the locker.

IMG_3424.jpgIMG_3425.jpg

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Clearly my tank and propane lockers are due for their annual bath. Thanks for the pictures of alternative valve-solenoid-connection mounting techniques.

Since this thread has drifted a bit from the original posting by Brian, I will bring up my concern with the locker drain down there at the bottom of the barrel. It both drains water and I think it should also drain away propane from a leaky connection inside the locker. My drain hoses to the above waterline thru-hulls actually trap water. This condition would make them unable to drain off propane gas from the locker. I have tried to re-plumb the left side (easier access) to shorten the hose to take the s-turn out of it, but I wasn't very successful due to how close together the parts are. The tails of the two thru-hulls are long and that sort of forces the s-turn. I wonder if anyone else has this situation and has remedied it?

I have considered either shortening the tails on both thru-hulls, or adding a thru-hull to the side of the locker and teeing in the second hose at the hull. I may have to shorten the tail on the one at the hull to accomplish that anyway. Here's a picture of the right side drain. I've also looked for different thru-hulls, but without success.

Stbd_Propane_Locker_Drain01-small.jpg