• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Survey: E35-3 Propane Control Panel Location

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Survey: Where is the Propane Control Panel located in your boat? (in particular E35-3)

Background:
I am in the process of installing a Seaward/Hillerange Propane 3-burner stove in my E35-3 (the Galley Maid pressurized alcohol unit has been removed for some time, and I came across a fair price for this propane unit which came with tank, panel, sniffer, line, regulator, valve; all parts required for a safe installation).
The location of most components are given (propane tank, line, stove, etc) but I'd like to find out where other owners of E35-3s (or E38s, which I understand have a similar galley area) have their Propane Panel located. The wiring diagram in the E35-3 manual indicates wiring for a propane switch being located near the trash door and the pivoting dish compartment on the aft wall of the galley. This is indicated with the red arrow and box below (which reads "LPG Solenoid Switch Panel").
Propane Panel Location.jpg
I've also indicated where I think the ideal location for it might be (just aft of the stove opening) with the blue letter "A". I believe this to be hollow within (or potentially filled with whatever foam they used to insulate the icebox) since there is space between the icebox inner wall and that surface, it's within relative proximity to the indicated factory wiring for making a connection, and has suitable area to install the particular panel that came with my stove. I can say that there is NOT enough space to mount the average Propane Panel in the indicated location on the Ericson wiring diagram (there's probably only a couple inches between the trash door and the dish locker, and my panel is larger than 2" wide).
I have also seen several located over by the DC and AC panels on the port side by the nav station.

SO..... I'd really appreciate input/thoughts/pros/cons of your propane panel installation.

Thanks!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's my factory setup:

1-IMG_1659 - Copy.JPG

I'm embarrassed not to actually know if the thingamabob in Pic #2 is the sensor. It seems a little high for sniffing propane, no? Anyway, it's something. Maybe I will learn something about my own boat today.

1-IMG_4712 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I believe the sensor ought to be down near the cabin sole level...

Probably ought to be tested occasionally too.

While I don’t have a E35, and I installed the thing myself, (there was a hole there that needed filling) I’ve noticed that I lean across the stove to turn on/off the solenoid. That doesn’t seem right...

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Ah! Perhaps ABOVE the tilting dish storage locker might be an option...this should be underneath the backrest on the side of the cockpit forward of where the winches mount, and accessible by the starboard cockpit locker....but also a decent and awkward reach while cooking (the larger size of your E38 may help here; my recollection is that it would be pretty cramped/awkward to reach that, but I'll give it a try the next time I'm on the boat).

Agreed on that 'sniffer' location being a bit high to detect propane... The person I got the stove from had the sniffer installed in the engine compartment. The manual recommends below the stove, but away from an area that might get kicked. I was hoping to poke it through a drilled hole aft of the storage door beneath the stove.

Thanks so much for your input!

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I believe the sensor ought to be down near the cabin sole level...

Probably ought to be tested occasionally too.

While I don’t have a E35, and I installed the thing myself, (there was a hole there that needed filling) I’ve noticed that I lean across the stove to turn on/off the solenoid. That doesn’t seem right...
Agreed on not wanting to have to reach over the stove to turn on/off the solenoid! Very good point! The location just below the countertop aft of the stove is sounding more attractive (within easy reach while cooking) although I still fear access with wiring...

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It's essentially the same location, but everything is just smaller and closer-together on my boat. Alternatively, some people may be larger...

mfield

Member III
The solenoid switch / sensor panel is in the location Christian indicated above the tilt out door. A little annoying as this would be a good position for the wheel-pilot sensor.

The propane sensor is a small puck underneath the stove.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Now I have to figure out what they mystery thing is on my bulkhead.

There's a part of my own boat I don't understand?

Inconceivable!

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Survey: Where is the Propane Control Panel located in your boat? (in particular E35-3)

SO..... I'd really appreciate input/thoughts/pros/cons of your propane panel installation.

Thanks!

I don't have a sniffer in my setup....I use by nose and always turn the propane off at the tank after use. But I have the solenoid switch located between the cupboards and under the light....see picture below.

Most other boats I have seen have the solenoid switch that includes the sensor installed on the cabinet face next to the top cutlery draw. Then you can easily feed the sensor wire from the bilge to the solenoid sensor. In my boat this cabinet face has my Marineair AC control panel. There seems to be enough space behind the panel and between the cutlery draw to install wiring etc.

Just to add the solenoid switch is convenience being near the stove as your boat should also have a "Stove" circuit breaker on the DC panel. You can always turn the propane solenoid off there too.

IMG_2714.jpgP1010065.jpg

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I don't have a sniffer in my setup....I use by nose and always turn the propane off at the tank after use. But I have the solenoid switch located between the cupboards and under the light....see picture below.

Most other boats I have seen have the solenoid switch that includes the sensor installed on the cabinet face next to the top cutlery draw. Then you can easily feed the sensor wire from the bilge to the solenoid sensor. In my boat this cabinet face has my Marineair AC control panel. There seems to be enough space behind the panel and between the cutlery draw to install wiring etc.

Just to add the solenoid switch is convenience being near the stove as your boat should also have a "Stove" circuit breaker on the DC panel. You can always turn the propane solenoid off there too.
For me, to add the Propane Panel on the face adjacent the cutlery drawer would interfere with the drawer, as my panel is fairly deep. The A/C controls (as you have them positioned) are probably the perfect depth to not interfere with the drawer. My A/C controls were located in place of one of the "chart tubes" beneath the Nav table, but I like your location - that's a great place for them.

In your larger 38 there's a locker aft of the stove, whereas on my smaller 35 there's just a panel there. It also looks like the length of the 38 allows a few more inches of space on that panel, as it appears wider than mine.

I'd be interested in placing the Propane Panel here, and the fact that your 38 has a locker there leads me to believe there might actually be hollow space behind it. Mine has no locker (I've X-d yours out to attempt to simulate my arragement) but the panel is slightly narrower:
Panel Location Possibility.JPG

Also (and this is why I love seeing other boat configurations) in the corner where you have a locker above the countertop, my boat has a wine rack...

Last edited:

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I'd be interested in placing the Propane Panel here, and the fact that your 38 has a locker there leads me to believe there might actually be hollow space behind it. Mine has no locker (I've X-d yours out to attempt to simulate my arragement) but the panel is slightly narrower:
View attachment 26927

Also (and this is why I love seeing other boat configurations) in the corner where you have a locker above the countertop, my boat has a wine rack...

That would be a good location. The previous owner of my boat opened up this area that you have marked. It's full of foam about 3 to 4 inches deep. There was also some additional bracing for the plywood teak veneer panel and to hold the ice box near the top. The issue I see is then being able to get wires to this location, you will have to some how punch a hole through the foam from the top to the bottom near the hull to pull the wires.

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
That would be a good location. The previous owner of my boat opened up this area that you have marked. It's full of foam about 3 to 4 inches deep. There was also some additional bracing for the plywood teak veneer panel and to hold the ice box near the top. The issue I see is then being able to get wires to this location, you will have to some how punch a hole through the foam from the top to the bottom near the hull to pull the wires.

Great to know - So you had an endeavorous previous owner who ADDED that compartment (I was hopeful this was from the factory and gave hope that it might be at least partially hollow beneath...). I will say that's not a bad idea, as I currently have a leaky icebox drain in my main icebox, and I see no good way to get to the bottom of that short of cutting through that area... Perhaps that's what your PO did? Do you know if you can see the icebox drain by opening that compartment? Or are you saying there's no actual storage there, just a panel which covers the foam directly beneath it?

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Great to know - So you had an endeavorous previous owner who ADDED that compartment (I was hopeful this was from the factory and gave hope that it might be at least partially hollow beneath...). I will say that's not a bad idea, as I currently have a leaky icebox drain in my main icebox, and I see no good way to get to the bottom of that short of cutting through that area... Perhaps that's what your PO did? Do you know if you can see the icebox drain by opening that compartment? Or are you saying there's no actual storage there, just a panel which covers the foam directly beneath it?

This ice box is now used as a dry goods storage so I'm not concerned about the insulation being removed. My other ice box forward has a cold plate system installed. Before I installed the shelving in this opening I could see a gap between the ice box drain and the hull, it's also the area that the propane line and refrigeration lines are run through along the bottom. I wish I had taken a photo of the opening before I installed the shelving.

You may be able to access the area from the tray storage area below the stove. But getting the wires down to this area form a small opening wont be easy, I think it's doable just not easy:)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My panel is under the companionway steps, to the right of centerline. Works well for us. You can reach it from the stove or sink easily - no need to reach through the steps. Wire routing to the sensor under the stove is a mystery - I haven't traced that one yet.

EsparMSRAftCabinHX01-small.jpg

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
My panel is under the companionway steps, to the right of centerline. Works well for us. You can reach it from the stove or sink easily - no need to reach through the steps. Wire routing to the sensor under the stove is a mystery - I haven't traced that one yet.
Neat! Looks like a teak box was built out a bit to house the panel, too? If I were to open that area up on my boat I believe that would break the backside of my panel box into the forward end of the cockpit footwell.

In other news I performed a reach test on the location Christian has (shown above), and reaching with right arm would force the user to bend over the stove a bit. Reaching with left arm is a bit of a blind reach, but doable, and keeps you over the sink. This would definitely be the easiest wire routing. I shall continue pondering...

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Neat! Looks like a teak box was built out a bit to house the panel, too? If I were to open that area up on my boat I believe that would break the backside of my panel box into the forward end of the cockpit footwell.

- snip -

The propane control panel is to the far left of that picture and is screwed against the plain old bulkhead. The 'teak box' to the right in the picture houses a heat exchanger for our diesel hydronic heater. Here is a better view of that teak box, with the edge of the Xintex propane control panel at the extreme right. Access to the back of the Xintex panel is pretty good at that location, considering the narrow space between the bulkhead and the cockpit footwell. Christian's location above the sink is also reasonable for access to the back of the panel, too. If you spend some time inside the starboard lazarette you'll see what I mean ...

Attachments

• EsparMSRAftCabinHX02-small.jpg
    EsparMSRAftCabinHX02-small.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 122

Kevin A Wright

Member III
My panel is located above the pull out dish locker as well. Sensor at floor level below the stove. You don't lean across the stove to get to the panel, you lean across the sink/refrigerator so not an issue. And well out of the way.

Only annoying thing is mine has an automatic sensor/alarm test it does everytime it powers up. So the first person up starts the coffee and everyone gets an earsplitting beep when that happens. At least you know the coffee has been started.

I also have a stove switch on the DC panel and that's actually what I use to turn off the propane rather than the panel since it's usually after dinner and I'm switching on anchor lights etc at that time.

Kevin Wright
E35 III Hydro Therapy