Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survey: E35-3 Propane Control Panel Location

Contributing Partner kiwisailor's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineCityBrian View Post
    Great to know - So you had an endeavorous previous owner who ADDED that compartment (I was hopeful this was from the factory and gave hope that it might be at least partially hollow beneath...). I will say that's not a bad idea, as I currently have a leaky icebox drain in my main icebox, and I see no good way to get to the bottom of that short of cutting through that area... Perhaps that's what your PO did? Do you know if you can see the icebox drain by opening that compartment? Or are you saying there's no actual storage there, just a panel which covers the foam directly beneath it?
    This ice box is now used as a dry goods storage so I'm not concerned about the insulation being removed. My other ice box forward has a cold plate system installed. Before I installed the shelving in this opening I could see a gap between the ice box drain and the hull, it's also the area that the propane line and refrigeration lines are run through along the bottom. I wish I had taken a photo of the opening before I installed the shelving.

You may be able to access the area from the tray storage area below the stove. But getting the wires down to this area form a small opening wont be easy, I think it's doable just not easy
    Sherene & Mike Taniwha

1981 E38 "KIWI"
    Hull #53
    Groton, CT

Blog Entries
    My panel is under the companionway steps, to the right of centerline. Works well for us. You can reach it from the stove or sink easily - no need to reach through the steps. Wire routing to the sensor under the stove is a mystery - I haven't traced that one yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EsparMSRAftCabinHX01-small.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	26966
    Craig Davis & Ellen Le Vita

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Hull #20, Universal Diesel 5432
    Gig Harbor, WA

In Puget Sound there are only two directions to go - North and South. That applies to the boat and the wind.

Contributing Partner MarineCityBrian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footrope View Post
    My panel is under the companionway steps, to the right of centerline. Works well for us. You can reach it from the stove or sink easily - no need to reach through the steps. Wire routing to the sensor under the stove is a mystery - I haven't traced that one yet.
    Neat! Looks like a teak box was built out a bit to house the panel, too? If I were to open that area up on my boat I believe that would break the backside of my panel box into the forward end of the cockpit footwell.

In other news I performed a reach test on the location Christian has (shown above), and reaching with right arm would force the user to bend over the stove a bit. Reaching with left arm is a bit of a blind reach, but doable, and keeps you over the sink. This would definitely be the easiest wire routing. I shall continue pondering...
    Last edited by MarineCityBrian; Yesterday at 11:04 AM.
    Brian Ross
    1983 Ericson 35-3 Hull #119
    "Moonshadow"
    Universal M-25

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineCityBrian View Post
    Neat! Looks like a teak box was built out a bit to house the panel, too? If I were to open that area up on my boat I believe that would break the backside of my panel box into the forward end of the cockpit footwell.

- snip -
    The propane control panel is to the far left of that picture and is screwed against the plain old bulkhead. The 'teak box' to the right in the picture houses a heat exchanger for our diesel hydronic heater. Here is a better view of that teak box, with the edge of the Xintex propane control panel at the extreme right. Access to the back of the Xintex panel is pretty good at that location, considering the narrow space between the bulkhead and the cockpit footwell. Christian's location above the sink is also reasonable for access to the back of the panel, too. If you spend some time inside the starboard lazarette you'll see what I mean ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Craig Davis & Ellen Le Vita

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Hull #20, Universal Diesel 5432
    Gig Harbor, WA

In Puget Sound there are only two directions to go - North and South. That applies to the boat and the wind.