Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survey: E35-3 Propane Control Panel Location

Contributing Partner kiwisailor's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineCityBrian View Post
    Great to know - So you had an endeavorous previous owner who ADDED that compartment (I was hopeful this was from the factory and gave hope that it might be at least partially hollow beneath...). I will say that's not a bad idea, as I currently have a leaky icebox drain in my main icebox, and I see no good way to get to the bottom of that short of cutting through that area... Perhaps that's what your PO did? Do you know if you can see the icebox drain by opening that compartment? Or are you saying there's no actual storage there, just a panel which covers the foam directly beneath it?
    This ice box is now used as a dry goods storage so I'm not concerned about the insulation being removed. My other ice box forward has a cold plate system installed. Before I installed the shelving in this opening I could see a gap between the ice box drain and the hull, it's also the area that the propane line and refrigeration lines are run through along the bottom. I wish I had taken a photo of the opening before I installed the shelving.

You may be able to access the area from the tray storage area below the stove. But getting the wires down to this area form a small opening wont be easy, I think it's doable just not easy
    Sherene & Mike Taniwha

1981 E38 "KIWI"
    Hull #53
    Groton, CT

Blog Entries
    My panel is under the companionway steps, to the right of centerline. Works well for us. You can reach it from the stove or sink easily - no need to reach through the steps. Wire routing to the sensor under the stove is a mystery - I haven't traced that one yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EsparMSRAftCabinHX01-small.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	26966
    Craig Davis & Ellen Le Vita

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Hull #20, Universal Diesel 5432
    Gig Harbor, WA

In Puget Sound there are only two directions to go - North and South. That applies to the boat and the wind.

Contributing Partner MarineCityBrian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footrope View Post
    My panel is under the companionway steps, to the right of centerline. Works well for us. You can reach it from the stove or sink easily - no need to reach through the steps. Wire routing to the sensor under the stove is a mystery - I haven't traced that one yet.
    Neat! Looks like a teak box was built out a bit to house the panel, too? If I were to open that area up on my boat I believe that would break the backside of my panel box into the forward end of the cockpit footwell.

In other news I performed a reach test on the location Christian has (shown above), and reaching with right arm would force the user to bend over the stove a bit. Reaching with left arm is a bit of a blind reach, but doable, and keeps you over the sink. This would definitely be the easiest wire routing. I shall continue pondering...
    Last edited by MarineCityBrian; 05-18-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    Brian Ross
    1983 Ericson 35-3 Hull #119
    "Moonshadow"
    Universal M-25

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineCityBrian View Post
    Neat! Looks like a teak box was built out a bit to house the panel, too? If I were to open that area up on my boat I believe that would break the backside of my panel box into the forward end of the cockpit footwell.

- snip -
    The propane control panel is to the far left of that picture and is screwed against the plain old bulkhead. The 'teak box' to the right in the picture houses a heat exchanger for our diesel hydronic heater. Here is a better view of that teak box, with the edge of the Xintex propane control panel at the extreme right. Access to the back of the Xintex panel is pretty good at that location, considering the narrow space between the bulkhead and the cockpit footwell. Christian's location above the sink is also reasonable for access to the back of the panel, too. If you spend some time inside the starboard lazarette you'll see what I mean ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Gig Harbor, WA

In Puget Sound there are only two directions to go - North and South. That applies to the boat and the wind.

Contributing Partner
    My panel is located above the pull out dish locker as well. Sensor at floor level below the stove. You don't lean across the stove to get to the panel, you lean across the sink/refrigerator so not an issue. And well out of the way.

Only annoying thing is mine has an automatic sensor/alarm test it does everytime it powers up. So the first person up starts the coffee and everyone gets an earsplitting beep when that happens. At least you know the coffee has been started.

I also have a stove switch on the DC panel and that's actually what I use to turn off the propane rather than the panel since it's usually after dinner and I'm switching on anchor lights etc at that time.

Kevin Wright
    E35 III Hydro Therapy

Blog Entries
    I'm a little lost on the issue of "reaching over the stove."

You turn the propane system on before you light the burners. And you turn it off after you extinguish the burners.

Yes? No? What am I missing?
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    I'm a little lost on the issue of "reaching over the stove."

You turn the propane system on before you light the burners. And you turn it off after you extinguish the burners.

Yes? No? What am I missing?
    I'm thinking of the emergency situation where something has gone haywire and you need to quickly shut off the gas in a pinch. I suppose that could also be done over at the DC panel (would serve the same purpose).
    Additionally, I've seen very nice paper towel holder mountings that would utilize that space....
    Brian Ross
    "Moonshadow"
    Universal M-25

Another question: what do your propane locker fittings look like?

In looking at the equipment which came with my stove, the regulator and tank connector (which is the old POL style), propane valve and line are all arranged in a linear fashion which I don't think will fit in the propane locker. I'd be exceedingly appreciative if those with the 32-3/35-3/38 would be willing to share a few photos of their setups.

Also, another user (Kenneth K) had a similar question (though specifically related to the tank connection style and if anyone had updated to the newer style):
    http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...hlight=Propane
    Last edited by MarineCityBrian; 05-24-2019 at 06:57 AM.
    Brian Ross
    "Moonshadow"
    Universal M-25

Blog Entries
    My stuff looks pretty much like Kenneth's (in the link just above) . It fits, but takes some fiddling, and of course there's a solenoid too.

I'd also like to know what the current recommendations are.
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 05-25-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Yeah this is what mine looks like. Ain't no way that's fitting n that locker!

Name:	IMG_20190525_122205.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	27060

But in general (based on Kenneth K's picture) it looks like a T-fitting coming from the tank connector, which has a gauge on one side (measuring tank pressure) and the regulator on the other side. I'll need to see if there's enough space to fit the solenoid on the end of the regulator with room in the locker.

Do most have the solenoid fixed to a bracket somewhere in the locker with a hose going from regulator to solenoid? Hard to tell from the picture...

For the pass-through (to get the propane line forward to the stove) I was hoping to make this as high as possible to take advantage of propane's natural tendency to sink and exit out the drain hole in the bottom of the locker rather than going into the bilge should there ever be a leak.

Lastly, I'll do some digging into what the current recommendations are, but I do prefer that QCC-1 connector merely from the standpoint of ease of use. My grill uses one and I much prefer it to the old POLs.
    Last edited by MarineCityBrian; 05-25-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    Brian Ross
    "Moonshadow"
    Universal M-25

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That many gadgets probably shouldn't hang off a tank connector. In fact, my regulators did come with wall-mounting brackets. The tank-mounted one that came with the boat failed early on.
    I'm still adrift over the proper way for hose to exit the locker. It seems like a gas-tight bulkhead fitting would be the correct thing to use, but that puts a fitting (potential leak) on the outside of the locker. Just sticking a hose through a hole (even a tight hole) seems to defeat the purpose a bit.
    FWIW, here's what mine looks like (NOT yet installed in a proper locker, as shown but it might be made to fit. Or vice verse.) Simpler is probably better (see: number of potential leaks.) Solenoid (HP-rated) is on a Tee behind the pressure gauge.

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	27061
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Noted. I do think mounting at least the solenoid to the locker wall high might make sense. Admittedly I need to do more test fitting of the tank in the locker to see what makes sense. But in general, I agree - less hanging off the connector is better. Every grill I've seen has the regulator mounted directly to the connector, but then a grill is not in a typically vibration-prone environment like a sailboat equipped with a Diesel (or pounding through waves upwind for that matter).
    Also, in checking the ABYC guidelines for LPG it states that a gauge must be present on the tank side of the regulator, so I'll need to add that. It also states that the locker must be gasketed (mine is not) and latch (mine does not, but this would be a fairly easy thing to add; I suppose a simple foam gasket could be too...)
    Thanks a bunch for the input!
    Last edited by MarineCityBrian; 05-25-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Brian Ross
    "Moonshadow"
    Universal M-25

Blog Entries
    Getting the tank connection components in the locker - it can be done if you can find the right stuff. I'll post a picture of my propane connection in the locker this weekend. I have the connector, gauge and solenoid valve all inside and supported only by the connector. I received the boat this way (2003) and have never had a problem with it. I'll also show how the hose exits the locker.

Craig

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Gig Harbor, WA

Craig that would be WONDERFUL!
    Brian Ross
    "Moonshadow"
    Universal M-25

Blog Entries
    Well, I hope I didn't speak too soon, since I don't know where the propane locker is on your 35-3. If it (or they) are on either side of the helm seat and are similar in size and shape to the 38's two lockers, then these pictures may help. I hope so anyway.

I have two 10 lb. aluminum tanks. The RH side is plumbed to the galley stove/oven and the LH, on the opposite side of the helm seat, is the spare and there is no plumbing there. So all these shots are of the RH side, which is closer to the galley stove anyway. Note that the outboard portion of the locker has an extension with a shelf about halfway down. That extension adds lots of space and that helps fit all the plumbing. I don't know if other lockers have that extension or not.

The propane hose goes through the wall of the locker as shown and then runs up high and forward in the RH lazarette, under the coaming, and then dives down and I think it passes under or perhaps outboard of an ice box to get to the stove. The galley is aft right, same as yours. The solenoid wiring hasn't been traced, but you can see where it exits the locker above the hose.

Name:	20190525_205422-small.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	27070 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_205543-small.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	27071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_205618-small.jpg 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	27072 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_205612-small.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	27073

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Gig Harbor, WA