Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: E38 Bow Water Tank

  1. #1
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Kemah, Texas
    Posts
    105

    Exclamation E38 Bow Water Tank

    Got our tank back today from the fabricator. The old one was badly corroded and leaked. I measured the volume today with a flow meter and it came out to 35 gallons. The plastic tank under the stbd settee holds 30 gallons. Has anyone added an additional water tank or a flex tank? I am trying to get about 100 gallons total so I’m considering adding another tank somewhere.Name:  DABDE74F-15C0-4157-82D8-03E93FE6DA0D.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  144.0 KB
    Last edited by Baslin; 05-13-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    Josephine, E381 hull 505 (1983) Universal 5432

  2. #2
    Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oregon - The Gorge
    Posts
    1,578
    Blog Entries
    49
    I use a bladder tank under the q-berth. Thing is, it doesn't really conform to the shape of the locker it's in, unless maybe (?) you use an over-sized one and only partially fill it. As the bladder fills, it becomes a cylinder shape, wedged into the lower side of the locker. (And lifts-up the lid of the locker.) I've considered making that whole space into an "integral" tank, which should hold twice as much as the bladder, but that seems like a lot of work.
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

  3. #3
    Moderator Christian Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,892
    Blog Entries
    77
    How about a watermaker? They're all the rage, I hear.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

  4. #4
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Kemah, Texas
    Posts
    105
    Flex tank under the qtr berth? Where is your fuel tank?

    I thought about a water maker until I looked at the price. Yikes!
    Josephine, E381 hull 505 (1983) Universal 5432

  5. #5
    Sustaining Partner gadangit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Leon, TX
    Posts
    276
    Blog Entries
    3
    New tank looks great! Was that JZ's work?
    We had no functional water tanks to work with, so I went watermaker and flexible tank. The cost of new tankage to get the capacity I wanted and then finding a place for the tanks (V-berth was only option) led me to the watermaker solution.

    The cost delta wasn't as large as you would guess.

    Chris
    Chris and Lisa
    1972 Hull #53 Ericson 39 "SolAire"
    San Leon, TX

  6. #6
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Kemah, Texas
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by gadangit View Post
    New tank looks great! Was that JZ's work?
    We had no functional water tanks to work with, so I went watermaker and flexible tank. The cost of new tankage to get the capacity I wanted and then finding a place for the tanks (V-berth was only option) led me to the watermaker solution.

    The cost delta wasn't as large as you would guess.

    Chris

    This tank was made by Vannatta Welding and Fabrication in Channelview. Very Reasonable priced.
    Josephine, E381 hull 505 (1983) Universal 5432

  7. #7
    Sustaining Partner gadangit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Leon, TX
    Posts
    276
    Blog Entries
    3
    Very nice work. I'll have to keep them in mind, but I hope to be done with any more major work.
    Chris and Lisa
    1972 Hull #53 Ericson 39 "SolAire"
    San Leon, TX

  8. #8
    Senior Moderator Loren Beach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR. Columbia River
    Posts
    7,465
    Blog Entries
    62

    Drink Tank Trivia

    One solution to keep in mind is to make a mockup tank out of rigid material like 2X2 pieces and door skins. Use hot glue and small nails. Trial and error.
    Then you know for sure that it will fit into the boat and into the space intended for it. Hose hookups can be measured and marked.
    From that, an accurate drawing can be produced for the tank builder.
    I did this for the replacement of our original fuel tank and both water tanks.
    I have one SS water tank, one welded aluminum fuel tank, and the other water tank is plastic.....

    While it's wonderful if you can find a decent replacement shape from the huge catalog at Ronco, sometimes you just have to start from scratch.
    BTW, one of our water tanks was welded up locally, out of plastic sheets - process is called 'hot air welding' and is rather interesting.
    This is quite different than the roto-molding precess used by Ronco.
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 05-14-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: damned auto spell check
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

  9. #9
    Sustaining Partner gadangit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Leon, TX
    Posts
    276
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Beach View Post
    One solution to keep in mind is to make a mockup tank out of rigid material like 2X2 pieces and door skins. Use hot glue and small nails. Trial and error.
    Then you know for sure that it will fit into the boat and into the space intended for it. Hose hookups can be measured and marked.
    From that, an accurate drawing can be produced for the tank builder.
    I did this for the replacement of our original fuel tank and both water tanks.
    I have one SS water tank, one welded aluminum fuel tank, and the other water tank is plastic.....

    While it's wonderful if you can find a decent replacement shape from the huge catalog at Ronco, sometimes you just have to start from scratch.
    BTW, one of our water tanks was welded up locally, out of plastic sheets - process is called 'hot air welding' and is rather interesting.
    This is quite different than the root-molding precess used by Ronco.
    This is exactly the process we used for our holding tank, hot air welding and all. So far so good! (fingers crossed)
    Chris and Lisa
    1972 Hull #53 Ericson 39 "SolAire"
    San Leon, TX

  10. #10
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Ashland, VA
    Posts
    170
    My E380 has a 47 gallon tank in the bow that is molded in the hull. Under the settee in front of the sink is a 27 gallon plastic tank and in the bottom of the starboard cockpit lazarette is another molded in tank that is 33 gallons. The tank in the lazarette has a top screwed in place that forms the bottom of the lazarette stowage. 55 gallon fuel tank is in the quarter berth. What model E38 do you have? Is there space in the cockpit lazarette for a tank?
    Leslie Newman
    E-380 #15 "Osprey"

  11. #11
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Kemah, Texas
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Newman View Post
    My E380 has a 47 gallon tank in the bow that is molded in the hull. Under the settee in front of the sink is a 27 gallon plastic tank and in the bottom of the starboard cockpit lazarette is another molded in tank that is 33 gallons. The tank in the lazarette has a top screwed in place that forms the bottom of the lazarette stowage. 55 gallon fuel tank is in the quarter berth. What model E38 do you have? Is there space in the cockpit lazarette for a tank?
    I believe our boat is the E381. Built in 1982 but I believe Model year 1983. I may have some room in the cockpit lazarette but it would be a tight fit and probably a fairly small tank. That location was what I was considering trying to fit one. Does anyone have any pictures of a lazarette tank??
    Josephine, E381 hull 505 (1983) Universal 5432

  12. #12
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Ashland, VA
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Baslin View Post
    I believe our boat is the E381. Built in 1982 but I believe Model year 1983. I may have some room in the cockpit lazarette but it would be a tight fit and probably a fairly small tank. That location was what I was considering trying to fit one. Does anyone have any pictures of a lazarette tank??
    Mine would be a picture of the bottom of the lazarette with the bottom being the lid of the tank having a million screws holding it in place. You could maybe glass in a box to hold a bladder in the bottom of the lazarette and have a lid on that box. Not sure what your lazarette looks like.
    Leslie Newman
    E-380 #15 "Osprey"

  13. #13
    Sustaining Partner
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    213

    E38 Bow Water Tank

    I had a Plastimo flexible bladder type in one of the storage areas under the V berth cushions which began leaking last year. bilge pump kicking on, couldn't figure out why, clean water in the bilge, found the bladder had a small abrasion hole in it. I replaced it with the same make and style. 28 gallons I believe. I installed it with an outdoor carpet under it and secured the corners with screws to stop it from sliding around ( holes and grommets were there to use, P.O. decided not to I guess. I have a T valve hooked up so I can use it for potable water and/ or fresh water flush for the head. Has a slight taste/ odor from the bladder. I will be putting some baking soda into it during the next fill up to see if I can clean up the taste some. Price was right and install was very quick. It also will allow me to access my knot meter which is beneath the platform. Amazing how many different tank configurations went into the 38's.
    Don Moran, AKA Navman
    1986 E- 38
    S.V. The Optimist II
    Universal 5432
    Hull# 536

Similar Threads

  1. Bow Water Tank
    By Afrakes in forum For Sale & Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2019, 07:03 AM
  2. E34 Water tank
    By EGregerson in forum Design & Function
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
  3. Cycle hot water into water tank ?
    By Sven in forum Lifestyle & Living
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM
  4. Water Tank
    By Loren Beach in forum For Sale & Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 10:03 AM
  5. Smelly water from hot water tank
    By Galley_Slave in forum Design & Function
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •