• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Bow Water Tank

Baslin

Member III
Got our tank back today from the fabricator. The old one was badly corroded and leaked. I measured the volume today with a flow meter and it came out to 35 gallons. The plastic tank under the stbd settee holds 30 gallons. Has anyone added an additional water tank or a flex tank? I am trying to get about 100 gallons total so I’m considering adding another tank somewhere.DABDE74F-15C0-4157-82D8-03E93FE6DA0D.jpg

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I use a bladder tank under the q-berth. Thing is, it doesn't really conform to the shape of the locker it's in, unless maybe (?) you use an over-sized one and only partially fill it. As the bladder fills, it becomes a cylinder shape, wedged into the lower side of the locker. (And lifts-up the lid of the locker.) I've considered making that whole space into an "integral" tank, which should hold twice as much as the bladder, but that seems like a lot of work.

Baslin

Member III
Flex tank under the qtr berth? Where is your fuel tank?

I thought about a water maker until I looked at the price. Yikes!

gadangit

Member III
New tank looks great! Was that JZ's work?
We had no functional water tanks to work with, so I went watermaker and flexible tank. The cost of new tankage to get the capacity I wanted and then finding a place for the tanks (V-berth was only option) led me to the watermaker solution.

The cost delta wasn't as large as you would guess.

Chris

Baslin

Member III
New tank looks great! Was that JZ's work?
We had no functional water tanks to work with, so I went watermaker and flexible tank. The cost of new tankage to get the capacity I wanted and then finding a place for the tanks (V-berth was only option) led me to the watermaker solution.

The cost delta wasn't as large as you would guess.

Chris

This tank was made by Vannatta Welding and Fabrication in Channelview. Very Reasonable priced.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tank Trivia

One solution to keep in mind is to make a mockup tank out of rigid material like 2X2 pieces and door skins. Use hot glue and small nails. Trial and error.
Then you know for sure that it will fit into the boat and into the space intended for it. Hose hookups can be measured and marked.
From that, an accurate drawing can be produced for the tank builder.
I did this for the replacement of our original fuel tank and both water tanks.
I have one SS water tank, one welded aluminum fuel tank, and the other water tank is plastic.....

While it's wonderful if you can find a decent replacement shape from the huge catalog at Ronco, sometimes you just have to start from scratch.
BTW, one of our water tanks was welded up locally, out of plastic sheets - process is called 'hot air welding' and is rather interesting.
This is quite different than the roto-molding precess used by Ronco.

Last edited:

gadangit

Member III
One solution to keep in mind is to make a mockup tank out of rigid material like 2X2 pieces and door skins. Use hot glue and small nails. Trial and error.
Then you know for sure that it will fit into the boat and into the space intended for it. Hose hookups can be measured and marked.
From that, an accurate drawing can be produced for the tank builder.
I did this for the replacement of our original fuel tank and both water tanks.
I have one SS water tank, one welded aluminum fuel tank, and the other water tank is plastic.....

While it's wonderful if you can find a decent replacement shape from the huge catalog at Ronco, sometimes you just have to start from scratch.
BTW, one of our water tanks was welded up locally, out of plastic sheets - process is called 'hot air welding' and is rather interesting.
This is quite different than the root-molding precess used by Ronco.

This is exactly the process we used for our holding tank, hot air welding and all. So far so good! (fingers crossed)

L

Leslie Newman

My E380 has a 47 gallon tank in the bow that is molded in the hull. Under the settee in front of the sink is a 27 gallon plastic tank and in the bottom of the starboard cockpit lazarette is another molded in tank that is 33 gallons. The tank in the lazarette has a top screwed in place that forms the bottom of the lazarette stowage. 55 gallon fuel tank is in the quarter berth. What model E38 do you have? Is there space in the cockpit lazarette for a tank?

Baslin

Member III
My E380 has a 47 gallon tank in the bow that is molded in the hull. Under the settee in front of the sink is a 27 gallon plastic tank and in the bottom of the starboard cockpit lazarette is another molded in tank that is 33 gallons. The tank in the lazarette has a top screwed in place that forms the bottom of the lazarette stowage. 55 gallon fuel tank is in the quarter berth. What model E38 do you have? Is there space in the cockpit lazarette for a tank?

I believe our boat is the E381. Built in 1982 but I believe Model year 1983. I may have some room in the cockpit lazarette but it would be a tight fit and probably a fairly small tank. That location was what I was considering trying to fit one. Does anyone have any pictures of a lazarette tank??

L

Leslie Newman

I believe our boat is the E381. Built in 1982 but I believe Model year 1983. I may have some room in the cockpit lazarette but it would be a tight fit and probably a fairly small tank. That location was what I was considering trying to fit one. Does anyone have any pictures of a lazarette tank??

Mine would be a picture of the bottom of the lazarette with the bottom being the lid of the tank having a million screws holding it in place. You could maybe glass in a box to hold a bladder in the bottom of the lazarette and have a lid on that box. Not sure what your lazarette looks like.

Navman

Member III
I had a Plastimo flexible bladder type in one of the storage areas under the V berth cushions which began leaking last year. bilge pump kicking on, couldn't figure out why, clean water in the bilge, found the bladder had a small abrasion hole in it. I replaced it with the same make and style. 28 gallons I believe. I installed it with an outdoor carpet under it and secured the corners with screws to stop it from sliding around ( holes and grommets were there to use, P.O. decided not to I guess. I have a T valve hooked up so I can use it for potable water and/ or fresh water flush for the head. Has a slight taste/ odor from the bladder. I will be putting some baking soda into it during the next fill up to see if I can clean up the taste some. Price was right and install was very quick. It also will allow me to access my knot meter which is beneath the platform. Amazing how many different tank configurations went into the 38's.