• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Speed Log

mfield

Member III
I have a Raymarine magnetic spinning wheel speed log, a quick sail a week is usually enough to free it up.

Occasionally I have to remove it and persuade the small crustaceans attached that they need to find a new home. It is always exciting to watch a gallon of water a second pour in while I put the blank tube into the through hull.

Does anyone have any suggestions (propspeed for speed logs) to increase the time between cleanings?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My suggestion: remove it and the throughhull, and patch the hole with glass and epoxy the next time you haul the boat.

In a world with abundant cheap GPS offering SOG, the incremental value of “speed through the water” isn’t enough to justify the maintenance of the speed wheel, it’s degree of unreliability, and the small but nonzero risk of another hole in the hull.

mfield

Member III
Your point is well taken, with a couple of iphones, ipads and a Garmin Montana GPS we have no shortage of SoG readings. I still like to know the difference between the two to explore the difference in current in different parts of the bay.