• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-2 very front portlight gasket?

patrscoe

Member III
Does anyone know what model the Lewmar portlight nearest to the bow on a 34-2 are?
The manual that is online excluded section 2 from the pdf which per the content page, that is where the portlight information was located.
Mine are leaking at the gasket where the plastic hatch seals to the frame so I am hoping to purchase the gasket only as a repair.

Thanks.
Patrick

patrscoe

Member III
They are Lewmar and I think... they are #1. West Marine has a gasket kit and just want to make sure I purchase the correct one.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
They are Lewmar and I think... they are #1. West Marine has a gasket kit and just want to make sure I purchase the correct one.

Patrick - I'm 99% sure you are correct - #1, but here are the dimensions. I assume you are talking about the "old standard" with the 2 piece frame.

http://www.zarcor.com/products/clozures/specs_prices.php?make=Lewmar&series=Old Standard Portlights

My experience is that the leaks usually come from the black plastic insert between the two pieces of the frame, not the seal. I learned about this from Select Plastics who rebuilds Lewmar hatches and ports. I cured the problem by masking above and below the insert and applying a bead of clear silicone along it.

I bought two gaskets from Defender probably 8+/- years ago and couldn't install them. I only tried one. If I was going to try again I would try greasing the gaskets with Super Lube synthetic grease. Sealing the insert solved the problem after reusing the old gasket. Since then, I have only had leaks from the handles which required new O-rings.

Send me a PM if you want one of the gaskets.

TimTimmeh

Member II
Section 2

Does anyone know what model the Lewmar portlight nearest to the bow on a 34-2 are?
The manual that is online excluded section 2 from the pdf which per the content page, that is where the portlight information was located.
Mine are leaking at the gasket where the plastic hatch seals to the frame so I am hoping to purchase the gasket only as a repair.

Thanks.
Patrick

I've got a copy with section 2, it says the opening ports are Lewmar part # 8910 if that helps at all.

patrscoe

Member III
Thank you guys.

The gasket looks a little worn but I will try your suggestion of caulking / sealing the joint in between the two exterior frames and will try greasing the gaskets.
If all else fails, I will pick up a gasket. It appears that only my starboard portlite is leaking.

Thanks for your replies and information. Much appreciate it.

Patrick