• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sean Engle's fresh water flush system

jreddington

Member III
Hi Sean,

Enjoyed following your head replacement project. Learned a lot. Of course my layout on an E-28 is different from yours but tanks are tanks and hoses are hoses and what goes through them is all the same on different boats.

You mentioned a fresh water flush system in the project. I can guess at the connections from the photos. It looks like the sink drain is connected to the raw water heat inlet at the seacock with a T or Y fitting? Is this the way it is set up? That seems to explain the sucking in air phenomenon since the water in the hoses will just be up to the water level and get sucked down when you pump the head.

Did you eliminate the original through hull for the sink drain to make this arrangement? Your comments gave me the idea to make a similar arrangements except to keep my original sink drain but put in a Y valve which would select between normal overboard discharge through the existing through hull and to a hose connecting to a T fitting in the head inlet.

To flush the head system with fresh water, direct the sink drain Y to the head inlet, close the head inlet sea cock, fill the sink, and pump away.

This would seem to solve the air sucking problem since during normal operation the sink drain would be directed to the normal through hull and blocked off from the head inlet. On the other hand, if you think space was tight behind the vanity on an E-35, it's going to be even tougher on my E-28. I may run out of room for lines.

Would appreciate your (and other folks) comment on this and more details on this drain layout in your E-35.

Take Care,

Jim R.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Fresher is Better!

Yep - you've got it right.

Basically, there's a "T" just after the ball valve. That splits it between my 3/4" inlet hose and my 1" sink drain. When that valve is closed to the outside, you can flood the complete system with fresh water.

It does tend to suck a little air - but I've solved that problem with a rubber stopper in the sink. All in all, it's worth the small amount of noise you get from it.

When we get back into the marina, I simply close the inlet and pour a pail of fresh water in the sink and pump away. The entire system (right to the valve) is then shot with fresh water.

You may have also noticed the filter. I strongly endorse their use. Mine has been in service only a couple of months, and I already need to clean it out (I was quite surprised to see all the junk it stopped). Had it not been for the filter - I would already have garbage up under my rim - rotting and stinking!

Now I just have to finish my head's headliner and update the site! :rolleyes:

//sse

jreddington

Member III
Thanks for the reply Sean,

The filter you installed sounds like a good idea (oh boy, more stuff crammed under the vanity). Is is your basic engine sea water strainer or something specific to head systems?

Sounds like your T connection is upstream of the filter so you even give this a fresh water shot. Is this correct?

Jim R.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Filter It!

Correct - it's after the "T", before the head. Groco makes very nice, expensive water filters with monel baskets (about $150 to $200). The only problem I had with them is, as you've pointed out, there is very little space below the vanity, and they're big and bulky.

Because of that, I opted for a cheaper common filter, with plastic body and stainless filter. I figured that since the screen would spend the majority of it's time in fresh water, it would last long enough, and the smaller size (and cheap cost - $25.00) made it very attractive. I believe the maker is Sherwin who make a bunch of other plumbing products. If you're not sure, and are interested in it, let me know and I'll refer you to my dealer (Fisheries Supply in Seattle - an EXCELLENT resource).

The filter is a good idea - and if you can find space for it, I STRONGLY recommend it! I'm determined to keep my new head odor free (and I mean -zero- odor)!

//sse