• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Puget Sound: North: Mystery Bay

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Anyone ever sail to Mystery Bay on Marrowstone Island? I've not been, though I have sailed to Port Townshend (twice, now).

I'm trying to find somewhere a day's sail away from Eagle Harbor, far enough away to be an "adventure" as far as the sailing is concerned, but within a doable day's journey. Between this and Mats Mats Bay, it seemed like more of an adventure and maybe a little less tricky with tides.

unnamed.jpg

Looking at the tides for 5/18 and 5/19, me and my friend will look to leave Eagle Harbor around 6AM to catch most of the favorable northward current. Having seen what an opposing current does around Double Bluff makes me really want to get past that point before it gets too strong...

518 tides.png

The entrance to the bay itself looks a bit tricky but sort of fun. I think by the time we get there, the negative tide will be flooding again and we we won't have too many issues if we follow the buoys.

unnamed.jpg

Other than that I think this will be my first attempt at picking up a mooring buoy and spending the night on the ball. Hoping my batteries make it...they're getting pretty old at this point.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Hi Geoff,

Just noticed this thread so I'm a bit late with a reply. Hope your trip went well. Actually was just in Mystery Bay on Sunday taking the grandkids for a daysail. If I was doing it I'd have cut through the Port Townsend Cut on the West side of Indian Island rather than continuing up the shipping lanes around the East side of Marrowstone. But both work. DO pay close attention to the markers going in there. Quite a zig zag course and it shallows up rapidly if you stray outside the dredged lane.

Other options would be Port Hadlock - the Ajax café opened back up in April but only for dinner. You can use the public dock there while dining and then just anchor off in the bay.

Port Ludlow is another option. Stay at the marina if you want dinner, or just continue past it and hang a left into a quiet little cove to anchor.

Matts Matts Bay is another option. A bit crowded and just an anchor spot, but quiet and lovely on a nice evening. Pay close attention to Klass rocks off the entrance and pay real close attention to charts and depthsounders in the bay. Especially if there is a minus tide while you are there.

One of my favorites would also be Langley on the SE side of Whidby. Great Pizza as well as Chorizo Clams at the Bistro!

Lots of little spots if you want to get out.

Have fun.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Thanks, Kevin - I keep meaning to do a little write-up about Mystery Bay. It was a great trip, and fun to catch the mooring balls there (My first time mooring, went very smoothly!). Reading the cruising guide's instructions on the buoys through the entrance to the middle was essential, and keeping a close and concerned eye on the depth meter. It could be very easy to miss a buoy and try to do a cut straight through the "?" shaped entrance and run aground.

We went in AND out through the Port Townshend cut, and unfortunately hit opposing current each time, but it was a nice straight shot through. No drama.

The only negative thing I'd say was that if a westerly is blowing, that Pt Townshend paper mill smell drifts over and settles in nicely. Definitely was more pleasant staying in the boat than going out at that point.

I'll put the rest of your suggestions on my to-do list - springtime race season just finished and my weekends are opening back up for daysails. Poulsbo tomorrow!