• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Navigational Perplexity

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVTA2xk7m7U

One challenge of sailing out of Norfolk Harbor, besides merchants, carriers, subs, etc. are helicopters. This one is pulling a mine sweep and followed me out of the channel then I took a right and eventually got out of the harbor and could tack away. The helo is a CH-53 the largest helicopter in the free world- as we used to say in my Navy days. It's a big as a bus.

Who has the right of way? They do!

BTW no mines were found.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Some years back, I was trying to sail my Hobie cat out of a lagoon with a zigzag channel on a light-wind day. Lot's of tacking to make little progress. Every time I got close to the escaping to the main river, an Erickson Skycrane would drop out of the sky in front of me and dip a big snorkel into the lagoon to suck up water for a nearby forest fire. My little thistle-seed of a boat would get blown all the way back across. After two or three go-rounds, I figured I'd never get out of there while staying clear of the helo, and just packed it in for the day.