• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ Coolant change, hot water heater, maintenance

L-G Harvey

Member I
Hello all,

I've been reading various threads on the above and since I'm about to tackle some of these tasks, I thought I'd ask for some advice. I will be flushing and replacing coolant in the system. I'll be taking this opportunity to remove the old Raritan tank which is rusted beyond repair hopefully without having to carve up the opening to the port locker. At the same time I'll remove the heat exhanger to clean it and replace the zinc.

Here are my questions:

1. I'm still unsure that I'll replace the water heater, at least not right now. I've read that people run with them removed. In that configuration does one just loop the hoses back? How have people plumbed this without the water heater?

2. While the heater is out and I have room I understand this will be a great opportunity to do some maintenance. I know about checking the transmission oil, but is there any maintenance task I should take the opportunity to perform, or things I should check? I'm talking more maintenance than rebuilds here.

3. In the event I do replace the tank I've seen a few Seaward 6 gallon tanks at a reasonable cost. These are 13.7"x13.7"x19". I take it that these would also require cutting out the side of a locker (I'll be measuring today at the boat). Has anybody been able to get these in without cutting (some suggestion that disassembly would work). I' really not keen about taking a saw to the boat!

Thank you in advance for any advice you could offer.

Cheers,

Louis