• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Facnor Furler question

SCLo

I have an Ericson 27 with a Facnor TI 130 furler from Merrimanand wonder if anyone out there has the same and has any ideas about maintenance tips. I've tried to find this particular furler on the Facnor page and even written them but no answer yet. I think it's just too old. Do the bearings need grease? When you rotate the top part, it sort of sounds gritty...I know that's vague but I don't have a better word :)
The furler is somewhat difficult to furl (though operator error may play a part). I've been furling by heading into the wind but after some research, it seems that going downwind and trying to shield the Genoa with the mainsail might be better. I would love to be able to keep this furler working at it's best.
Just fyi, I'm located in Bellingham WA so if there's anyone close who who has an Ericson 27 as well, I'd love to meet you and talk boats.

Attachments

• 20190503_084040.jpg
    20190503_084040.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 53

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't know the Facnor, but manufacturers usually don't recommend grease because it gloms up, to use the tech term.

I am continually reminded by manufacturers that salt is the issue, and that these bearings, especially nylon ball bearings, need to be flushed frequently with water.

Old salts dissolve fairly slowly (as our veteran forum members illustrate) and the product Saltaway helps.

The furler mechanism should turn easily, even when the sail is luffing hard. I would examine the furler line to make sure it's the correct size; enters the furler at the correct angle; has a low-friction lead aft along the deck; winds neatly around the drum when under pressure and has at least three turns around the drum even when fully furled.

And if I concluded that the bearings were in fact worn out, I would ignore everybody's advice and grease them. Because whataya got to lose (except grease on the sails).

Last edited: