• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Settee Cushion Opinions Requested

gadangit

Member III
I'm considering doing a row of cushion backs across the access holes and not putting a long cushion below. Seems like I'd gain some shoulder room when sleeping. I'm thinking that some velcro would be sufficient to hold this up. Anyone have an opinion they would like to share? Does this look dumb?

I need to finish the other one this evening, so I mocked up what was finished.

20190501_114417.jpg

L

Leslie Newman

Looks fine. Seems snaps would hold better, but good velcro is probably good too. You could screw snap studs into the wood and sew some loops on the cushion backs for the other part of the snap.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I used one strip of 3"-wide Velcro to hold the cushion backs, and the stuff is so powerful I had to remove half of it to be able to get the cushions off.

1-IMG_0583.JPG

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That's just about the way I've drawn it, right down to the color. But I haven't sewn up the covers yet. I think it actually looks better than full-length back-cushions.

Basically I bought and cut enough foam to cover everything, everywhere, and by now I've taken half of it back off. Just about ready to start sewing. Pretty soon.

gadangit

Member III
That's just about the way I've drawn it, right down to the color. But I haven't sewn up the covers yet. I think it actually looks better than full-length back-cushions.

Basically I bought and cut enough foam to cover everything, everywhere, and by now I've taken half of it back off. Just about ready to start sewing. Pretty soon.

I've made 7 cushions so far, all new foam and fabric. It goes pretty fast once you get it all sorted out. The two vertical cushions that I am debating I went with velcro over a zipper solution and I like how that turned out.

I built the foam out of two 2" foam layers with a denser foam on the bottom and a less dense foam on the top. I actually screwed up a cushion and reversed that so I had a chance to see if it made a difference. It is subtle, but noticeable to have less dense foam on top.

Good luck!
Chris

Second Star

Member III
Our back cushions go the full height but I really like your idea and the look as well. We don't use the lower snaps and the upper snaps are on horizontal loops that give enough slack that the cushion can be lifted like a flap door to access the storage area but don't droop down. Much easier than unsnapping or tearing Velcro.

gadangit

Member III
Thanks everyone, great comments so far. I'm thinking of hand stitching the velcro to the cushion and actually getting the stitches into the foam to help keep the velcro from pulling on the fabric alone. We'll see how that goes.