• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water tight bulkhead...?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
On the older '82 E-38 was the compartment behind the bow chain locker ment to be water tight? Found the leak... from the deck pan where the foot switch for the anchor windless down into the chain locker forward of the V Berth. Then the water goes in the forward storage under the berth then slowly seeps it way through the bulkhead to the next compartment that has drain holes then down under the drawers and has no place to go so has sit there and rots the wood.
Looks as if a lot of patch work with glasstape has been done in the 1st area under the V Berth is that supposed to be sealed off an water tight?
Please let me know, if water should drain out or should I totally seal it up proper? I have fixed the leak from the deck pan. Water may come in with the chain.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
On the older '82 E-38 was the compartment behind the bow chain locker ment to be water tight? Found the leak... from the deck pan where the foot switch for the anchor windless down into the chain locker forward of the V Berth. Then the water goes in the forward storage under the berth then slowly seeps it way through the bulkhead to the next compartment that has drain holes then down under the drawers and has no place to go so has sit there and rots the wood.
Looks as if a lot of patch work with glasstape has been done in the 1st area under the V Berth is that supposed to be sealed off an water tight?
Please let me know, if water should drain out or should I totally seal it up proper? I have fixed the leak from the deck pan. Water may come in with the chain.

No the forward anchor locker is not designed to be water tight otherwise the bulkhead would need to have been fully glassed over. In my bow locker I have opened up a small gap in the forward bulkhead at the V to allow the chain to slide back in to the forward storage area under the V berth. If any water enters the locker it will work its way aft under the water tank. As you point out there doesn't appear to be a limber hole from the area under the drawers to the shower bilge, I keep an eye on this area for water.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
In some Ericson boats, the bulkheads in the forward lockers are meant to act as “crash bulkheads.” They have no openings from the hull to some point above the water line (often the V-berth.) In the event of a forward collision that breaches the hull, flooding is supposed to be contained in that locker. Unfortunately, this also means that water that gets in there by other means doesn’t drain. Unless somebody drills a hole. Then there probably ought to be a stopper or something in that hole in case the crash bulkhead ever has to fulfill it’s function.