• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Question: Engine Controls for an OLD Boat

BlodgePSU

IMG_20190419_133656.jpg

Folks - this is the engine control panel for a 1974 Ericson 32 I bought recently and trying to understand what the engine control panel has going on. Is there anyone who knows what the set of buttons at the top do? Also, what is the silver round control in the upper left corner of the panel? Finally, does anyone know of an available reference guide I could procure before trying to use this thing? I have the engine manual, but don't see any reference to THIS part of the boat.

Boat has been in storage for a number of years, and the labels for all of the controls are faded past being able to read. Trying to find a complete set of instructions for what all of the buttons are before trying to monkey around with starting it. Hopefully not a silly question to be asking if these things are still standard. The boat is a 1974 with a gas engine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That sure looks like somebody’s custom job. I’m afraid you are going to have to trace the wires to find out what they do. It’s entirely likely that the wiring on an old boat is broken or corroded so things might not work at all, and it’s a good idea to check it.
The thing in the upper left looks like a high-amp switch as used on many old tractors. On a lot of old tractors, it controls the headlights, but I’d guess that here it might be the main switch that feeds power from the battery to the engine. Just a guess though - you’d need to trace the wire behind there to be sure. Could be a windlass or something? Since you have a key switch, it seems redundant as a main switch. If you have a gasoline engine, the T- handle in the middle is probably a choke.

Key on, pull out choke, (main switch to on?) push starter button. One of those switches is probably turns a blower on - run blower for a minute before trying to start engine (assuming that it’s even operating correctly.) Others might be navigation lights. The little “lite” switch on the panel probably turns on the little lights in the gauges.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome. Here's the early E32 manual, which doesn't have much to say about the cockpit wiring. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/vbdownloads.php?do=file&fileid=251

AS Toddster said, You'll probably want to remove the panel face and get to know the wires for ignition and instruments. Most of the intermittent issues for the engine are caused by old loose connections or worn out buttons and switches, which are easily replaceable.

The link below is to a diesel panel, but the general goal is the same--identify, clean up and monitor for further issues. If you don't already have an electrical "kit," now is good time to start putting one together (terminations, connector, wire, tools). Money spent on tools and components is money in the bank, because our old boats have many wiring projects and hiring a professional is prohibitively expensive.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...5-Engine-Wiring-Upgrade-Part-1-Cockpit-Gauges

steven

Sustaining Member
the big round silver/grey thing in the upper left of the control panel is the blower for the engine compartment.