Cutlass Bearing for 1978 E27

japerra

Member II
Looking for a cutlass bearing for my 1978 E27. I have taken some measurements with a micrometer but a little concerned that the od of the bearing may be off.
My first time doing a job of this magnitude so could use some advice if anyone has done this recently. If so, confirmation of dimensions of the bearing would be a great help.
Thank you in advance as always.
James

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Looking for a cutlass bearing for my 1978 E27. I have taken some measurements with a micrometer but a little concerned that the od of the bearing may be off.
My first time doing a job of this magnitude so could use some advice if anyone has done this recently. If so, confirmation of dimensions of the bearing would be a great help.
Thank you in advance as always.
James

James - I have no idea why no one has responded yet, and I can't give you specifics of ID or OD. That said, cutlass bearings are built to a standard and the OD is measured in 1/8" steps for N. American boats of this vintage. So much for the micrometer. :) The exact length may not be available - that's what hacksaws are for.

A google search will find many sources. Here's one, but not a recommendation, I just picked a sample. I would guess that you would want to find a source in Canada.

https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/brass-cutlass-bearing

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Bearing

Dug out a receipt from 2007. If your shaft is 3/4" the West Marine reference number from then was 379917. Dimensions 1 1/4" OD x 3" length for a 3/4" shaft.

Last edited: