• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e38 200 Mast height from top of deck / main halyard length

DaveC

I'm replacing the main halyard, and someone might be able to save me a trip up the mast to drop a tape measure... Does anyone know the mast height from the top of the deck, OR the main halyard length (run to cockpit)?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Sailboatdata.com

Check Sailboatdata.com. Also check the archives for a manual that will tell you the length. My 28/2 manual gives the lengths of the halyards and sheets.

markvone

Sustaining Member
a) Per sailboat data P = 43' 3". b) Measure tack to deck and mast base to cockpit. c) 86' 6" + b) + a little margin for tail and or error = main halyard length

You could also hoist the end of a long tape up on the main halyard to verify P. Take a look at the hoisted tape end with binoculars to see and estimate the length of shackle, splice or stopper ball to add to the tape measurement.

Mark

u079721

Contributing Partner
I'm replacing the main halyard, and someone might be able to save me a trip up the mast to drop a tape measure... Does anyone know the mast height from the top of the deck, OR the main halyard length (run to cockpit)?

My notes on my 1989 include:

Mast length overall 55' 3"
Mast length to deck gasket 48' 9"

But even without this info, surely it's an easy task to just hoist one end of a 100' logging tape measure up the mast using the existing halyard? Probably end up being a foot short or so, but close enough to order a new length of main halyard cordage.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author

Page 102 of the E38-200 Owners Manual has the line length data, copy below. This worked for me.
Line Lengths.jpg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
67' + 56' = 123', minus 3' for the wire/rope splice, = ~120'

That seems ....maybe a little short....

anecdotally, I made a new main halyard a couple of years back, didn't know how long it needed to be, so I made it 120' from shackle to tail, figuring I could trim off the excess. It ended up about 15' longer than it needed to be, so I ended up at about 105' on my 32-III, with enough on the tail end to go around the winch a couple of times. Since then I've made a couple of spinnaker halyards at 105' and they work great.

If we figure the E-38 mast is about 7 feet taller, and assume the run along the cabin-top is a few feet longer.... my guess is that'd mean an E38 halyard should be maybe 18' longer than mine.

I'd recommend measuring (easy to do, just run the dumb-end of a tape-measure up the mast on the existing halyard)... figure 2x the distance from deck to masthead, plus a foot or two to account for the shackle and masthead sheave, plus the distance along the deck, plus a a few feet to provide for a couple of wraps around the winch and a tail to grab... and then add a few feet, just because. It's much easier to shorten a halyard than it is to lengthen one.

$.02
Bruce

mfield

Member III
In a recent halyard replacement the rigger recommended adding enough length to allow the halyard to be used for hauling someone out of the water.

Fortunately I have not used it for this purpose but I have used the main halyard to help get the dingy up the companionway.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...adding enough length to allow the halyard to be used for hauling someone out of the water.

GREAT point. My main halyard length allows me to park the shackle end on the rail and still have enough tail to put around a winch.

A main halyard that "only" reaches (e.g.) to the end of the boom is not going to be long enough for other uses.

Bruce (too long is almost always better than too short....)