Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decision time...

Blog Entries
    One far-reaching design and construction decision of EY was the way the hull and deck were joined. They glassed the joint together on the inside with roving, making top and bottom "one".
    I have also seen an 80's E-34 with the outside seam glassed over and painted out with LPU. No more aluminum and rubber cover. It looked good, but a little odd. At least to me... at first I was not sure I was looking at an Ericson.

When they took on the Olson's, those were already designed with a full-overlap deck on an inward flange. Thru-bolted with an aluminum rail. No leaks and stout as heck.

As all these boats age, it's great to know that the 'basics' are sound.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries
    >>I wonder if a strip of plasteak in place of the rubber would look ok?

The rub rails are pretty much cosmetic, and their main job is to cover the 3/8th flange left from the joining of deck and hull. They dent with any collision.

The Ericson flange excludes any flat solution, such as a stainless strap or teak strip or common rub rail replacement.

On the other hand, if a boat with the joint connected by a full-length hardware rail whacks a piling, that damage is equally hard to repair--maybe more so.

Workboats we ain't. But I guess yachts never were.

Generally Ericson owners replace the whole rail when the mess gets bad enough. There are several popular solutions for the various models.

Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Contributing Partner

Decision made. Thanks to this great group!

After much deliberation, yesterday we completed a sea trial on the '74 C&C 35 which we have agreed to purchase; all went well. While we are excited to begin this adventure (finally), I still find myself checking out every Ericson I see, so it is quite possible we will become a Viking at some point in the future. They are great boats, and this group is the icing on the cake!

We will probably have to forego a survey due to lack of available surveyors (they are booking 3-4 weeks out), so I will be conducting my own inspection over the next few days (and I have a complete survey from 4 years ago), followed by a two week haulout at the end of the month.

If it is ok with you, I will probably continue to lurk here, and perhaps share experiences if I encounter things which may be of interest to Ericson owners.

Thanks, and happy sailing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sgwright67 View Post
    After much deliberation, yesterday we completed a sea trial on the '74 C&C 35 which we have agreed to purchase; all went well. While we are excited to begin this adventure (finally), I still find myself checking out every Ericson I see, so it is quite possible we will become a Viking at some point in the future. They are great boats, and this group is the icing on the cake!

We will probably have to forego a survey due to lack of available surveyors (they are booking 3-4 weeks out), so I will be conducting my own inspection over the next few days (and I have a complete survey from 4 years ago), followed by a two week haulout at the end of the month.

If it is ok with you, I will probably continue to lurk here, and perhaps share experiences if I encounter things which may be of interest to Ericson owners.

Thanks, and happy sailing!
    Feel free to drop in to the Rendezvous this summer. You are buying another "classic design" from that era. It will be fun to compare notes.

Also, there used to be an annual C&C rendezvous in your general area, but I do not know the current status of it.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Contributing Member III
    Congratulations!