• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[E32-3] Traveller Control End Upgrade

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi folks, looking through threads I see there are many threads on travellers but they are as varied as the boats we own.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what traveller control-ends would be a fairly drop-in replacement for the stock ones? Pretty sure no upgrades have ever been done to my traveller in any way, and it's a bear pulling the mainsheet in during a heavy breeze. I'd like to upgrade to one with two sheaves on each side for added purchase, and maybe even replace the car as well. The track itself seems serviceable enough, if not as pretty as a new / re-anodized one. Any other caveats here I haven't thought of?

edit: or at the very least, is it possible to replace the shaves on the stock cars/ends? the ones on my car are cracked and don't turn at all - not sure if they ever did.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
If...you have the 32mm aluminum I-beam track, the modern Ronstan control ends will fit, and are a huge improvement.

Pictures towards the end here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?583-Ericson-38-Ronstan-Traveler-Upgrade

Christian, I see in your picture you have doubled-up sheaves on the control ends. On the Ronstan site, however, I only see single-sheave options:

https://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/range.asp?RnID=048#related

Did you just double up the sheaves, or did that come as a complete product?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I added the sheave and cleat addition kits mentioned below in this email from Ronstan. Search product here: https://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/search.asp?S=1&query=RC00423&search=SearchSo (Photo of my original worn-out control ends below).

Ronstan are very helpful, and you might try touching base with Thomas Stuchbery or colleague. After a dozen emails figuring things out I ordered the Ronstan gear from West Marine (no shipping cost from Aus). I eventually decided I didn't need the new car or the new car blocks, and my local WM took them back no questions asked (About $600 worth of return). Another reason I remain a WM customer.

The 32mm I Beam was changed in about 1986 to the “current” style. I double checked with one of the managers who has been here for 25 years and he was able to confirm that the current I Beam cars run on the old track.

I’m not 100% certain as to why your car is so sloppy, however I would guess that over the past 33 years of use the ball bearings inside the wheels have worn out, making the wheels less efficient and “sloppy”.

You should be able to purchase an RC63216 car and a couple of RF50200 50mm Ball bearing blocks to make up a new car.

The RF853M Control end you have looks like it has been modified to take a becket. We no longer offer the control ends that slide on the track. The closest thing you will get is an RC63285 + RC00414 Sheave addition kit with an RC00423 cleat addition kit. This is mounted to the end of the track via a large countersunk bolt under the sheave not visible in the picture. The sheave addition kit is mounted on the side of the control end using the supplied fasteners.

Rinse the system out with fresh water as often as possible to keep the ball bearings from salt and grit.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Kind regards,

Thomas Stuchbery
Customer Service Technical Support

Ronstan International 19 Park Way, Braeside Victoria 3195 Australia
T +61 (0)3 8586 2000 D +61 (0)3 8586 2020 F +61 (0)3 8586 2099
C:\Users\CHRIST~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

Ronstan control end traveler1.jpg

Last edited: