• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Prop Strut allignment E32

Marcel Couture

Looking for advice on proper alignment of the strut that holds the prop shaft on a 1971 E32. Mine is bent to the starboard side and also appears to be canted "up" too much in the front. The strut appears to be made of bronze and molded into the hull. I'm considering heating it up and putting a long pipe on it to bend it back into the correct alignment.
All comments/advice welcome. :esad:

Last edited:

diamondjim

Member II
Prop Strut

Here are some things to think about before re-forming the strut. Heating the casting to bend the the strut back into alignment will take a tremendous amount of heat from an acetylene torch which would travel up the strut into the hull. It won't take much heat to destroy the bond between the glass/epoxy bed - if it is not already damaged from impact. I have used a gun smith trick (a mud) to heat sink the metal in areas where I don't want heat on bolt heads which might work. Bending it back a small amount using a jig rigged mandrel composed of large clamps and pressure points may get the strut back to the center line. Getting the bore in line w/the prop shaft log in the hull may be another matter. Also, this is a casting which will have limits as to how much bending you can get away with. You may risk bending or breaking the cuttless bore if you try to do it with the shaft. You may be a lot safer by replacing the the entire unit and knowing there is no problem after the job is done.

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I think you would be better served removing and replacing a damaged
strut with a new casting rather than messing around trying to heat
up and bend the old one back into alignment. Even if you do get it
aligned perfectly (which is unlikely) you risk doing damage to
the strut/hull interface, further compounding the problem.

Martin

JORGE

Member III
We have the "same" boat, although my strut is good. What about the shaft? Isn't it bent-- distorted. Next, condition of the shaft tube? any cracking?
I would get inside there and check it all throughly. Under the gas tank etc.,
look for cracking, shoot water against the hull in those areas.

Marcel Couture

prop strut alignment e32

Jorge
The hull is very sound, no leaking evident. The problem started when some guys were fishing in the middle of the channel. My wife was steering and she strayed into some mud trying to stay well clear. We got stuck in the mud and while alternating from forward to reverse the propshaft "walked " ot of the collar. While the boat was still in the water, I took a 2 by 4 and pounded the shaft back into the collar (not my best move). This bent the strut ( but not the shaft, inexplicably)
At this point I'm leaning toward drilling a few small holes in the strut, heating it up, (taking care to isolate the heat from the hull, Thank you very much for the advice diamondjim) and then trying to bend it back into proper alignment. I'm pretty comfortable with this because I dont have to move it very much. I'm also cognisant that bronze is pretty malleable.
Again, thanks to all who have replied, the help is valuable.
Marcel

escapade

Inactive Member
bent strut

Be advised that bronze is a very good conductor of heat. You will not be able to heat it enough to bend without doing a LOT of damage to the FRP. Also, drilling holes will compromise the structural integrity to a point that failure is a real probability. I agree with Martin, that the best course of action is to remove the old strut & either straighten it or replace it. The potential damage you could cause isn't worth taking a chance, IMHO.
Good luck, have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"