• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 12 diesel - oil filter size

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm

Member II
Any ideas what kind of oil filter is best for a M-12 two cylinder diesel? Also, has anyone experienced that the Hobbs hour meter runs continuously when the ignition is left on? My 1983 E28+ shows 4000 hours but I cant believe it, she runs like a swiss watch even though it is ocean water cooled. I use Salt-Away and now need to do an annual oil change,,,,,what type of oil is recommended?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Hobbs hour meter is just a clock hooked to the ignition. The idea is to record engine hours. Presumably that's the only time the ignition is on.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Fram

The filter you want is a Fram PH 3593A. It has a slightly smaller diameter than other compatible filters so your belt won't rub on it.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...and according to the Universal manual for the M12, it likes SAE30HD or 10W40 oil

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Dance of the Hours

The Hobbs hour meter is just a clock hooked to the ignition. The idea is to record engine hours. Presumably that's the only time the ignition is on.

That was electrical routing on my '88 M25XP. i.e. the Hobbs meter was powered whenever the engine key/switch was "on" and this circuit also powered the electric lift pump and the indicator light for the Halon extinguisher in the engine compartment.
In order to start out again at zero, I did put a new Hobbs meter on the new engine (it has an hour meter in the face of the tach, but it's a bit hard to read).

Regarding the motor lube oil, I have been using Delo 400LE, 15-40 weight for 20 years. I seem to recall that the original '88 manual called for 30 weight, but that was based on the lube oil technology in that era.

Last edited:

rpm

Member II
Great and Thanks

Thanks guys. That answers it methinks. Here comes the dipstick pump.

That was electrical routing on my '88 M25XP. i.e. the Hobbs meter was powered whenever the engine key/switch was "on" and this circuit also powered the electric lift pump and the indicator light for the Halon extinguisher in the engine compartment.
In order to start out again at zero, I did put a new Hobbs meter on the new engine (it has an hour meter in the face of the tach, but it's a bit hard to read).

Regarding the motor lube oil, I have been using Delo 400LE, 15-40 weight for 20 years. I seem to recall that the original '88 manual called for 30 weight, but that was based on the lube oil technology in that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.