• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Oberdorfer 202 m15 Pump Rebuild Question.

JSM

Member III
Two years ago I changed the impeller and lip seals in my Oberdorfer 202 M15 raw water pump. Yesterday I started the engine after winter storage and after running for about five minutes noticed water coming from the weep hole on the pump. Pulled the cover plate off of the pump and discovered that the impeller had shed a vane and that the impeller shaft had a nice grove worn in it.
I just ordered a new shaft and repair kit from pumpsandpartsonline.com. The repair kit contains a new carbon bushing. Does anyone have any experience removing this bushing from the pump. Online searches don't seem to be helping.
Thanks

debonAir

Member III
You need to press the graphite bushing out of the pump body. Rig some sort of press using the right sized socket and a large vice, or the right sized socket, extensions, 2x4s and a hydraulic car jack in a doorway, etc. You first remove the lip seals from the back of the pump which is easy of you have replacements (just screw into or cut/pull them out) or hard if you're going to reuse them (not recommended I'd say). There's a special dental-pick kind of tool to get them out, but a small flat-head nail as a puller with vice grips might work. Especially if you aren't worried about damaging the old bushing which is fragile. You've been down that route so you know what's involved. The new shaft should fit easily into the new bushing by hand. The lip seals provide the water tightness. You can find info on sailnet and elsewhere I think.

Last edited:

JSM

Member III
Thanks Debonair. A 5/8" socket paired up with the shop press at the neighborhood tire repair shop got the job done.