• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

(Video) Why We Sail--"Spring, Finally."

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Springtime in Vermont

While Maine may fret, Vermont is grateful for the extra time to patch blisters, plumb water heaters and tend to the docks. Navigating the Prius through mud season to get to the shipyard is it’s own perverse joy. While your vid did make me pine for a tack up the main channel past the Marina Belle and fisherman’s village and a quick visit to the seals on the bouy off the Pier, I do enjoy the redwing blackbirds reminding me to get busy as the last of the firewood comes in and we start to rake the driveway back on to the driveway.

Roger Janeway

Member II
Was that video filmed this Spring? It seems most days outside Marina del Rey recently have seen 6 foot swells with 20 knots blowing. So although I am almost Christian’s neighbor, the video depicted an alien dream world to me.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It was shot Tuesday. Ten pleasant knots. It blew 30 Wednesday. Welcome to spring.

April and May are actually the only predictably windy months here, and the only reliable opportunity to test heavy air equipment, reefing gear, sea anchors and so on.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Love it! Although the lines from Chaucer elicited a mild feeling of panic as I recalled struggling to memorize the first verse for sophomore English class.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No better intro to spring. I had it taped to the windscreen of my motorcycle for years, drafting as close behind a truck as I dared in 20 degrees.

The first 16 lines of the General Prologue to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales was required memorization for English majors. We learned the pronunciation off scratchy records in the library. Now versions are over YouTube. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihrWuysnrc )

The meaning, in current English, is fairly discernible with some effort--and rewards the effort. This is Middle English. Old English is much more difficult.

2Capture.JPGtrans.JPG

Last edited:

Steven C.

Really enjoyed the audio books and now this spring video.

I like your style, I've followed all your YouTube postings as well. If your ever up in Portland OR would love to have you speak at our smallish yacht club RCYC.

Thank you always,

Steve Petersen:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like your style, I've followed all your YouTube postings as well. If your ever up in Portland OR would love to have you speak at our smallish yacht club RCYC.

Thank you always,

Steve Petersen:egrin:

I second that invitation!
:egrin:

Roger Janeway

Member II
Today outside Marina del Rey was a day much like the one shown in Christian’s video, giving hints of summer. But Spring sparks exuberance in many forms, and that included a pair of jet skiers buzzing around the bay and blanketing it with a noise like monstrous mosquitoes. I would like to hear Chaucer describe that gastly noyse.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Sporty

[video=youtube_share;8b50pbm-oP4]https://youtu.be/8b50pbm-oP4[/video]

Don’t think I ever sailed with a sports coat on before but it does add a bit of class to it all. All that was needed was to also see you puffing on your pipe while underway.

The talk about spring was GREAT Christian.....next week my sails will leave the house and back to Sketcher.
Spring time in North Carolina...with pollen....but nice.

Hilco on Sketcher