• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1976 E27 - Replacement Spreaders

cworley

Hello - Need to replace the 2 aluminum spreaders on my 1976 E27, they have developed some pitting and do not look very dependable anymore. Does anyone know of a vendor who sells replacements? I have never replaced spreaders. Replacement looks relatively straight forward. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Chuck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One solution.....

Over the decades this company has been referenced quite a few times.
Quality work, altho not "cheap".
https://ballengerspars.com

Measure and describe your old spreaders and then give them a call. Please post up your experience -- lots of other owners will want the info, at some point.

Ben Romano

Hello - Need to replace the 2 aluminum spreaders on my 1976 E27, they have developed some pitting and do not look very dependable anymore. Does anyone know of a vendor who sells replacements? I have never replaced spreaders. Replacement looks relatively straight forward. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Chuck
Hi Chuck,
I'm the new owner of an E27. We're on the hard, getting a bunch of maintenance and repairs taken care of. Included on the list is new spreaders, as the aft portion of the port side one has been worn away by a wire halyard -- see photo. (Replacing that, too.) We were quoted $2,300 for the new spreaders by themselves. The project manager at the yard is looking at Dwyer and Rig-Rite for a less costly alternative. But I wondered if you could share where you sourced yours, and what the ballpark cost was?
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_6933.JPG
    IMG_6933.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 17

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
If I remember correctly wasn't there a factory advisory on the original spreader brackets? The original design had a tendency to put dimples in the sides of the mast. I ended up buying spreaders and brackets from Dwyer and made custom saddles which reinforced the side of the mast.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I believe the dimpling is caused by people putting on too much tension on the shrouds. I never had a problem with the 47 year old spreaders. Ben, I would suggest having that welded and ground. Look like an easy repair at it would be far less boat dollars.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Was there or wasn't there a directive from the factory regarding dimpling in the mast? The particular reason is another matter.