1976 E27 - Replacement Spreaders

cworley

Hello - Need to replace the 2 aluminum spreaders on my 1976 E27, they have developed some pitting and do not look very dependable anymore. Does anyone know of a vendor who sells replacements? I have never replaced spreaders. Replacement looks relatively straight forward. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Chuck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One solution.....

Over the decades this company has been referenced quite a few times.
Quality work, altho not "cheap".
https://ballengerspars.com

Measure and describe your old spreaders and then give them a call. Please post up your experience -- lots of other owners will want the info, at some point.

Ben Romano

Hello - Need to replace the 2 aluminum spreaders on my 1976 E27, they have developed some pitting and do not look very dependable anymore. Does anyone know of a vendor who sells replacements? I have never replaced spreaders. Replacement looks relatively straight forward. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Chuck
Hi Chuck,
I'm the new owner of an E27. We're on the hard, getting a bunch of maintenance and repairs taken care of. Included on the list is new spreaders, as the aft portion of the port side one has been worn away by a wire halyard -- see photo. (Replacing that, too.) We were quoted $2,300 for the new spreaders by themselves. The project manager at the yard is looking at Dwyer and Rig-Rite for a less costly alternative. But I wondered if you could share where you sourced yours, and what the ballpark cost was?
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_6933.JPG
    IMG_6933.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 17

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
If I remember correctly wasn't there a factory advisory on the original spreader brackets? The original design had a tendency to put dimples in the sides of the mast. I ended up buying spreaders and brackets from Dwyer and made custom saddles which reinforced the side of the mast.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I believe the dimpling is caused by people putting on too much tension on the shrouds. I never had a problem with the 47 year old spreaders. Ben, I would suggest having that welded and ground. Look like an easy repair at it would be far less boat dollars.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Was there or wasn't there a directive from the factory regarding dimpling in the mast? The particular reason is another matter.