• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 23 owners group

Metaphase

I just stumbled on this site and regestered today. I am the original owner of a 1978 Ericson 23 swing keel and race it on Lake Erie. I noticed there is an Owners Group for the 23 and I would like to receive information about the group.

Bob in Va

Member III
E-23 groupies

It's real good to find an original owner. I have sent you an email with some particulars, so look for that and we'll get the ball rolling. Your's is one of the last ones made, so I'm curious to learn what the hull number is. Good things come in small packages.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
bob...are you still "up" on the ericson 23's? i just purchased one and have a few questions....thanx...:egrin:

Bob in Va said:
It's real good to find an original owner. I have sent you an email with some particulars, so look for that and we'll get the ball rolling. Your's is one of the last ones made, so I'm curious to learn what the hull number is. Good things come in small packages.

Bob in Va

Member III
Man, at my age I'm not up on anything except Centrum vitamins. However, if you check the boat registry in "Owners & Projects" under E-23-2 all the pertinent info is listed - my boat is TigerEye. We will be glad to help you out and have access to some pretty good sources of info. - Bob

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
thanx Bob, i will "log in" and get my boat registered...i need to find a trailer and haul it out from san pedro, bach here to the boulder colorado area...thanx again...

Bob in Va said:
Man, at my age I'm not up on anything except Centrum vitamins. However, if you check the boat registry in "Owners & Projects" under E-23-2 all the pertinent info is listed - my boat is TigerEye. We will be glad to help you out and have access to some pretty good sources of info. - Bob

burnleyt

New owner

I just stumbled on this site and regestered today. I am the original owner of a 1978 Ericson 23 swing keel and race it on Lake Erie. I noticed there is an Owners Group for the 23 and I would like to receive information about the group.

I live in NE Ohio and have just purchased a 1968 Ericson 23:egrin:. I, too, would love information on Owners group. I'd also love to know more about the boating on Erie as that is where I plan to sail her.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

sleather

Sustaining Member
I live in NE Ohio and have just purchased a 1968 Ericson 23:egrin:. I, too, would love information on Owners group. I'd also love to know more about the boating on Erie as that is where I plan to sail her.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Welcome aboard :egrin: Bob in Va's publication is called 23 Tell-Tales, it's mostly geared to the 23 Mark II, post '74 though. You can either send him a PM by clicking on his screen name or e-mail him. oleboe@aol.com or snail mail...

Bob Boe
Ericson 23 Owners Assoc.
1472 River Road
Madison Heights, Va. 24572

I've fished Erie alot, but never sailed there. The waves tend to really short and steep because of the shallow depth so you'll be doing a fair amount of wave "busting" similar to the relatively small lake I sail on. Does your boat have a main sheet traveler? Really helps when things are snotty. Also a good selection of head sails or furler for the Great Lakes changeable conditions.

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Owners and Projects

Bob:
All I can obtain in Owners & Projects are pages of Gibberish pretending to be Place Holders. I have just purchased an E23-2 and plan to name her Gypsy Rose, after an old girl friend. However, to register I have to find a VALID site. And Hopefully a site that I can obtain information at.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Bob:
All I can obtain in Owners & Projects are pages of Gibberish pretending to be Place Holders. I have just purchased an E23-2 and plan to name her Gypsy Rose, after an old girl friend. However, to register I have to find a VALID site. And Hopefully a site that I can obtain information at.

The Owners & Projects section is FUBAR because of a software upgrade awhile back.:esad: Hopefully it will reappear one of these days.

Welcome aboard, and ask away. THIS is the site .

Be sure to include E23-2 in any title you start. ;)

carolyn pardini

looking to buy a 23

I am looking at an 1976 swing keel ericson 23 to sail on Flathead Lake. I sail a 72 Balboa that was given to my family a few years ago and we want to upgrade. My partner wants a bigger boat, I want an ericson. Can anyone point me is a good direction to find the right questions to ask the seller. I would like the boat I buy to be the boat I sail for the rest of my life.

Vagabond39

Member III
Ericson 23

I am looking at an 1976 swing keel ericson 23 to sail on Flathead Lake. I sail a 72 Balboa that was given to my family a few years ago and we want to upgrade. My partner wants a bigger boat, I want an ericson. Can anyone point me is a good direction to find the right questions to ask the seller. I would like the boat I buy to be the boat I sail for the rest of my life.
Carolyn:
Since you have been sailing a Balboa, you are well versed in the oroblems of a swing keel. As for the Ericson 23, your best contact will be Bob Boe of the Ericson 23 Owners Assoc. email oleboe@aol.com.
I am a new owner of an Ericson myself, and it needs work before it sees water. Spreader brackets seem to be a common weak point.
Vagabond39

smitty3

ericson 23

hi i live in canyon lake texas (lake canyon yacht club) and just got a 1979 ericson 23 FIN keel and would also like to receive info

Last edited:

cepetersonjr

I purchased Metaphase in the fall of 2010.

I purchased Metaphase in the fall of 2010 and since then it has undergone a major restoration and refit. It is now named "Providence" and is located on Lake Superior near Whitefish Bay. I'm enjoying both working on her and sailing her. Just about everything is new on her and she has a full race instrument set by Tacktick, Raymarine and a Garmin GPS. If you read this and want pictures I can send them to you. Contact me at chuckpeterson58@yahoo.com

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I purchased Metaphase in the fall of 2010 and since then it has undergone a major restoration and refit. It is now named "Providence" and is located on Lake Superior near Whitefish Bay. I'm enjoying both working on her and sailing her. Just about everything is new on her and she has a full race instrument set by Tacktick, Raymarine and a Garmin GPS. If you read this and want pictures I can send them to you. Contact me at chuckpeterson58@yahoo.com

Welcome to the Boards. Hope to see more posts from you.
If/when you have some photos to post, you can put them into your "album" here.

Cheers,
Loren

dds

1971 Ericson 23 mk1

Just purchased and would love to talk to someone who has links to pics or owners manual so I can restore thanks

Derrick

Phil Rushing

Member II
recently acquired 1968 Ericson 23

I just bought a 1968 Ericson 23 that is in unbeleivably good shape. New everything! She is an incredible beauty! I am looking for a source of information on the Ericson 23 specifically. Is there a current Ericson 23 owner's group? I notice there are no recent posts on this thread.

ben

Dizy, 23 II cb
I recently bought a 23 mk 2 as well and would love to join an owners group. Mine is from 1976 and sails in Sand Hook bay NJ.

I'm planning on some fixes and refits this winter, any pics from other owners would be great.
Does anyone have original galley pictures? Mine and it's water tank were both removed.
I think my keel pendant winch is a later addition / moved from somewhere, and I discovered today that it's leaking. Any pics on placements or other options for that would be good since I'll be reseating it before next season.

Phil Rushing

Member II
Recently acquired 23 MKII

Ben! Nice to hear from another 23 owner. I have learned that there is no longer an E23 owner's group on this forum. As these little 23's become older and more scarce, there isn't a lot of interest or need for such a group. That said, I was glad to hear from you and I would be interested in following your progress as you work on your boat.

My boat is a '68 so a little older than your's. She's a fixed fin keel that draws a little over 3 feet. Some people refer to these boats as MKI's, but in reality Ericson never designated them an MKI; there is really no such model. When your boat was made, Ericson actually called them MKII's even though there was never a previous MKI. So, just to clarify, there are two models of Ericson 23's: a 23 (fixed fin keel) manufactured from 1968 to 1971-72, and an MKII like your's manufactured from 1972 to whenever they stopped production on 23's. I'm not sure when that was. This may be TMI and something you already know but I just found it interesting.

I sail out of Mission Bay in San Diego. San Diego is known for its light airs so this little Ericson is perfect in our conditions. She is such a sweet sailer. I've had her close to hull speed (~6 knots) in under 10 knots of wind, yet she's pretty stiff when the wind is 18-20 knots.

I believe the cabin layout was a little different on the original 23 as opposed to the MKII but I will be happy to send you photos of my cabin if it would be helpful. I have refitted the interior with some wood paneling probably not found on the original boat, but it looks great.

Regarding photos and issues specific to the 23, if you wish we could communicate directly via email. I am at phil.rushing7@gmail.com

Hope to hear more from you as your boat progresses.

Phil

Attachments

• Defiant starboard side.jpg
    Defiant starboard side.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Defiant cabin.jpg
    Defiant cabin.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Honda motor.jpg
    Honda motor.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Defiant bow shot.jpg