• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 for sale in BC - opinions please

sgwright67

Member III
Just as I'm considering settling for a different boat, this E32-2 comes up locally. But it appears to be a bit of a project. At the very least, from the photos, it probably needs all new cushions and fabric, and lots of cleaning, as there are signs of mildew on the cabin roof liner. The 2GM engine is said to run well. The boom does not look original in the photo, and the owner is a bit of a boat collector (has 2 other boats), and does boat work for other people so it could be a parts bin special.

At $8000 CAD, the price is reasonable, if the bulkheads aren't rotting away and the decks aren't coming apart... maybe? Or is this boat in the run away now category? I'm not averse to elbow grease if the boat is worth the effort. It will need a haulout, as the last one was 3 years ago. I would probably look to rent space for a month so I can do the work needed, and then put it on a mooring buoy, as moorage is hard to find.

Honest opinions please... :)

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Ericsson-32_33157131

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Helpful as distant viewing can be, up to a point...
Only some time on it will inform any opinion. Tap it, walk around on it. Start and run the engine.
Hopefully some owners of sister ships can chine with suggestions of stuff to look closely at.

Good luck!

sgwright67

Member III
Helpful as distant viewing can be, up to a point...
Only some time on it will inform any opinion. Tap it, walk around on it. Start and run the engine.
Hopefully some owners of sister ships can chine with suggestions of stuff to look closely at.

Good luck!

Thanks Loren. The 32-2 I posted the other day in Blaine for $15.5 USD makes for a good comparison, as it appears to be in pretty good shape. But as you say, some time on the boat is the only way to know, for soft decks and rotted bulkheads are going to be the main issues I think. Based on the looks of the project boat, I will be surprised if the bulkheads aren't rotted out, given the amount of rain we get, and that it's been sitting on a buoy (ie: no winter heat to keep it dry) for several years at least.

It'll take a ferry ride to find out, so I will probably take a look tomorrow.

sgwright67

Member III
A bit more info on what might be a Frankenboat. A steering cable broke in the fall and he hasn't fixed it yet, but made a tiller (so I guess the stock emerg tiller is missing). He assures me the bulkheads aren't rotten, but I doubt this given the amount of mildew and signs that the windows are leaking. The engine is a 2GM RWC, apparently solid. On the positive side, he does appear to be honest enough to admit he only paid 5k for it, and then put 4-5k into it. Where the 4-5k went is a bit of mystery though.

I haven't been to Saltspring for a while, so I'm going to have a look, even though I expect it will be a quick viewing. At the very least, it will be a nice day for a little road trip. :)

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I find it hard to imagine how a boat that's been left like that cosmetically isn't going to have deeper structural issues caused by long-term neglect.

Bulkhead rot...deck core rot...tired woodwork...none of those are all that difficult, I've dealt with them all on my 32, but having to deal with ALL of them before you can take any pride in your boat would be demoralizing for me. I'd spend up for a better starting point.

sgwright67

Member III
I find it hard to imagine how a boat that's been left like that cosmetically isn't going to have deeper structural issues caused by long-term neglect.

Bulkhead rot...deck core rot...tired woodwork...none of those are all that difficult, I've dealt with them all on my 32, but having to deal with ALL of them before you can take any pride in your boat would be demoralizing for me. I'd spend up for a better starting point.

I think you're right. I was going to look at it today for a bit of education, as I've never been aboard a 32-2, but after thinking about it, I don't even want to go aboard without wearing a mask, given the amount of mildew present. The friend I was hoping to visit while there isn't available today, so I'm going to call it off. Hard to justify half a day of travel just to see a boat in this condition. It will require at least a month on the hard at a time when yard space is at a premium as well, and who knows what shape the bottom is in...

Thanks

kapnkd

kapnkd
Just as I'm considering settling for a different boat, this E32-2 comes up locally. But it appears to be a bit of a project. At the very least, from the photos, it probably needs all new cushions and fabric, and lots of cleaning, as there are signs of mildew on the cabin roof liner. The 2GM engine is said to run well. The boom does not look original in the photo, and the owner is a bit of a boat collector (has 2 other boats), and does boat work for other people so it could be a parts bin special.

At $8000 CAD, the price is reasonable, if the bulkheads aren't rotting away and the decks aren't coming apart... maybe? Or is this boat in the run away now category? I'm not averse to elbow grease if the boat is worth the effort. It will need a haulout, as the last one was 3 years ago. I would probably look to rent space for a month so I can do the work needed, and then put it on a mooring buoy, as moorage is hard to find.

As an E 32 II owner since ‘73, they are great looking, sailing and handling boats making them worthy of serious consideration. If any vessel has been too neglected for too long serious issues of repair, costs and time become your key concern, which is where you’re at and doing.

I would first suggest a reputable marine survey or at least know when the last one was done and review it thoroughly.

A moisture meter is invaluable to use on all deck and cabin top surfaces. (Especially around chain plates, stanchions, bow pulpit, main salon hatch, mast step and companion way/slide rails.) The area around the fuel fill and emergency tiller cockpit areas need to be checked as well.

Check the turning blocks and mounts mounts for the cables on the steering. (Surprised a cable broke on it) - could be an issue of the cable coming off due to structural failure of a mounted block??

Check main brace in cabin under mast for cracking. That was an issue for awhile with the 32’s. Be sure all cabin lights work as port side cabin lights, bow running lights and mast lights wiring can be severed IF main brace has cracked before.

A revisit on a rainy day obviously makes it much easier to look for leaks inside around all ports, companionway, and main salon hatch (especially in hatch corners).

Almost forgot, the rudder’s stuffing box on my 73 had no packing or seal. When under sail she squats on her stern stretching the waterline length (a plus) but water would pass by the stuffing box. ...That was one of my first fixes as I didn’t like salt water passing under the engine going to the bilge.

Good luck on your decisions and choice!
-kerry

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mold concerns

One small data point, if I may.
When we bought our boat it was a much "newer" boat, but it also had been neglected (and parked for three years) and the interior was full of mold and mildew.
The broker/owner had it cleaned up a bit to market it, cosmetically.
The cushions were full of black mold when opened it up, after we got it home.
They were saved by laundering the covers and replacing the foam, BTW.

There had been seepage from the stuffing box, over time and after evaporation, that left small piles of salt crystals in the main bilge.

Price mostly reflected this condition.
Heck, the spinnaker pole ends were rigidly frozen to the deck chocks by salt air corrosion. :(

Because EY had done an exemplary job of bedding the deck hardware, the coring was dry. Still is, BTW.

Probably a different EY employee crew built the older 32 under discussion, but it might be good to remember that while it might look (and smell) neglected, it might not be so bad after a thorough cleanup.
And.... still check the chain plates and main bulkhead very carefully. :rolleyes:

Be cautious and realistic, but not to the point of distain.

(Apropos of a saying from a top surveyor that I know, the seller, broker, and buyer all have emotion and financial involvement in a boat sale.... the Only person that lets the Boat speak for itself ..... is the surveyor. So do dry to observe dispassionately enough to listen to the boat. And later, read the survey carefully.)

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I suppose it depends on your tolerance for “projects.” My criteria for a “project boat” was that, despite everything else, it had to be in decent enough condition to sail immediately. “Pretty”could come later. From that ad, I’d be curious about the “re-mast” and sail inventory. And as everyone else said, condition of the structural elements. The “steering cable” thing sounds a little dodgy. Seller ought to fix that as a pre-condition.
Pictures can only show so much, but it doesn’t look like an unusual amount of mold for a boat in the PNW. And it’s not like a house with drywall - mold wipes right off of fiberglass. Ropes and upholstery cushions can be laundered.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I think I'd do a sober realistic assessment (with a cushion for underestimation, and cost of labor for bits you're not willing to do yourself) of what the total cost would be to bring the boat up to a level that would let you go sailing (and motoring) safely, and at level of comfort you're OK with, by the time your summer season arrives. Then, if that total is less than you'd have to pay for an equivalent boat that's already close to that ready-to-sail condition, then you might want to make an offer.

sgwright67

Member III
I think I'd do a sober realistic assessment (with a cushion for underestimation, and cost of labor for bits you're not willing to do yourself) of what the total cost would be to bring the boat up to a level that would let you go sailing (and motoring) safely, and at level of comfort you're OK with, by the time your summer season arrives. Then, if that total is less than you'd have to pay for an equivalent boat that's already close to that ready-to-sail condition, then you might want to make an offer.

I've asked the seller to send me more photos of the bulkheads/chainplates, and engine before I will spend half a day travelling to see it. I'll see if he comes back with anything. He's an engineer with the ferries who seems to collect old boats, and told me he is cleaning some of them out. But he clearly doesn't do much with them, which doesn't impress me, and possibly scavenges parts between them also, hence the questionable mast/boom and missing tiller handle.

Currently I am re-thinking some boats I decided against to see how they compare; for example, a very well equipped C&C 35-2 with dual solent rigged furlers, solar, watermaker, windlass, etc. I turned this one down because some of the work done was not up to my standards (welds on solar arch looked poor, wiring a bit dodgy, etc.) but nothing that couldn't be fixed. The boat is ready to sail though, which probably makes it worth 20K, and it's fast, solid boat good in light air. Not an Ericson, but one of the better C&Cs.

As for this 32-2, I figure if I got it for $6K, I could spend another $6K getting it to a decent state. Things that he said like he didn't bother to connect the mast wiring, and didn't bother to fix the steering, just made a tiller handle, make me think I should just run away. If it wasn't the first local E32 I've seen for sale in a year, I wouldn't be still thinking about it. It looks like it has original gelcoat, which is a good thing in my mind, as I've seen several E boats with topsides painted, and they have not held up well. I'd rather have dull gelcoat than peeling paint...

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
It will require at least a month on the hard at a time when yard space is at a premium as well....

That sounds pretty optimistic. My experience says multiply your original time estimate by 3-4. You'll find one thing leading to another thing, leading to.....

Unless you're retired and without other obligations, possibly.

sgwright67

Member III
That sounds pretty optimistic. My experience says multiply your original time estimate by 3-4. You'll find one thing leading to another thing, leading to.....

Unless you're retired and without other obligations, possibly.

Well, I am retired, and had I found this boat 3 months ago, things might be different. Now, I just want to start sailing, and even if it only took a month, the amount of neglect concerns me, even though I would love to save this boat. We just booked a 7 day ISPA Skipper course/cruise to Desolation Sound for next month, on a Formosa 43, and hope to have a boat before then.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author

I've learnt the hard-way that anything to do with boats will cost you three times more than you budgeted for and take three times longer than you thought to do the job. :)

To give you some insight I purchased my 1981 E38 for $40k thinking I'd only spend $10k to $20k on refitting. I've now invested (sunk) over $45k into her to address the multitude of things that needed to be fixed or replaced in my 35+ year old boat. I now have a 1981 E38 worth $45k to $50k if I'm lucky! :0

Bottom was completely stripped barrier coated and repainted, all new Groco thru hulls/seacocks, all new DC wiring and AC/DC panels rebuilt, new VHF radio with remote, new HF radio with pactor modem, installed high bilge water level warning and pump system, all new bilge and head hoses, installed tank monitor for holding tank, new head manual pump out, all new LED lights, new Force 10 stove, new propane gas line, additional 180W of solar, new MMPT solar charge controller, new sails, new running lines, new deck hardware, recored anchor locker, new anchor and chain, now working on the cosmetics for the admiral and currently replacing the damaged sections of the teak and holly sole.

I now know every system on the boat inside and out and she is now long distance cruising ready or for sale! Truthfully I'm exhausted from all the refit project work. In the Northeast I get 5 months of sailing in and then 6 months of boat projects to work on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The less you spend buying a boat the more expensive it is.

Maybe I will learn this on the next one. Third time is the charm or something like that...

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I'd say skip it. Even if it's cheap to get the title in your hands, it won't be a cheap boat. It looks like it needs quite a bit of work.

I sometimes get caught up in the romance of being "the guy who saved this boat", someday in the future able to show off my lovingly restored Ericson to this forum of semi-pros, accolades raining upon my bristol brightwork, perfectly routed wires, clever ideas, and so on.

In reality, I'd rather go sailing :D I bought a pretty turnkey E32-3 and I could easily sink what I paid for it back into the boat on new equipment, projects, improvements, making it "mine"... and that's starting from a good foundation!

Your enthusiasm for your new boat quest is contagious, I would hate to see that dream turn into the nightmare of a boat-shaped pit of despair.

Last edited:

sgwright67

Member III
I've moved on...

No truer words...well said.

Yes, I've moved on, although I did ask the owner to send me more photos. I doubt he will bother.

Currently, I am re-visiting a C&C 35-2 that I passed over back in January because it was a bit too expensive. It is quite well equipped, in good shape, and with LWL of a bit over 30', should be quite a quick boat, yet also handle rough stuff well. I saw the boat earlier in the week, and am just waiting to hear if it is still available. It will be sad not to get an Ericson if this one works out, but I think like many of you, I will always be keeping an eye out for that next boat, and checking out every Ericson I see. I love the Ericson designs, but also love some of the C&Cs, and the 35 is one of my favourites.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Yes, I've moved on, although I did ask the owner to send me more photos. I doubt he will bother.

Currently, I am re-visiting a C&C 35-2 that I passed over back in January because it was a bit too expensive. It is quite well equipped, in good shape, and with LWL of a bit over 30', should be quite a quick boat, yet also handle rough stuff well. I saw the boat earlier in the week, and am just waiting to hear if it is still available. It will be sad not to get an Ericson if this one works out, but I think like many of you, I will always be keeping an eye out for that next boat, and checking out every Ericson I see. I love the Ericson designs, but also love some of the C&Cs, and the 35 is one of my favourites.
The C&C is a good boat, and all that extra cruising equipment would cost a fortune to add to another boat. Plus, the seller might entertain a lower offer now ;-)