• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1970 32-2 in Alameda - Yachtworld

sgwright67

Member III
And with a displacement of 88,000# I wouldn't imagine it moves very well in light air! :0:)

A typo I presume... :)

Which reminds me. I've always been curious about the displacement values for the 29 and 32-2, which suggest the 32-2 is only 200lbs heavier than the 29, given 8500/3900 and 8800/4000 disp/ballast for each boat. Are these figures simply taken from design drawings and have little bearing on the actual boat as built? Or is the extra length in the 32 mainly in the bow and stern overhangs, and hence just a few hundred lbs of fiberglass?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The figures are probably taken from the manuals. But I think there is probably more than 200 lbs variation between different configurations of the same boat.
Hence the "float tank" at the factory for adjusting ballast. Which probably introduced more variation. As a rule, displacement varies by volume, not by LOA, but...

Line up the drawings of the E29 and the E31. It looks almost exactly as if Mr. King took the 29 hull and just pulled out the overhangs a little. And moved the rudder. And poured some more ballast into the keel.

pgadd

Member I
Thanks for posting. I’ll go take a look next weekend. She appears to be the way I like them - Pretty much a basic boat w/o a lot of unnecessary options. Repowered with a diesel, new dodger, not a lot of (old) electronics. The chainplates are a concern, of course.

sgwright67

Member III
Thanks for posting. I’ll go take a look next weekend. She appears to be the way I like them - Pretty much a basic boat w/o a lot of unnecessary options. Repowered with a diesel, new dodger, not a lot of (old) electronics. The chainplates are a concern, of course.

I'll be interested to hear what you find. Although a bit too far away from me at the moment. We're getting pretty close to just buying the best available boat for around $10K, so we can start sailing, while continuing to look for the right boat. After nearly a year at this, I realized that this is going to take a while, and getting out sailing, being the whole point of it, will make the search process a lot less frustrating... :)

Our choices locally right now, for around $10K CAD:
Hullmaster 27 (Ted Brewer full keel design)
Crown 28 (similar to Cal 2-27, built in Vancouver, two of them available)
CS 27
Alberg 30 (not really interested, but I'm still curious to look - interior is very small)
Santana 30

Other boats I'm sort of curious about for $20-25K CAD:
Crown 34 (later sold as San Juan 34 - solid, fast boat)
Alberg 37 (old, but solid and classic looks)
Catalina 30 (yes, a Winnebago, but they are popular, so easy for resale...)
Peterson 35 (Vancouver built, based on Ganbare 35 racer)
C&C 30-1

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'll be interested to hear what you find. Although a bit too far away from me at the moment. We're getting pretty close to just buying the best available boat for around $10K, so we can start sailing, while continuing to look for the right boat. After nearly a year at this, I realized that this is going to take a while, and getting out sailing, being the whole point of it, will make the search process a lot less frustrating... :)

Our choices locally right now, for around $10K CAD:
Hullmaster 27 (Ted Brewer full keel design)
Crown 28 (similar to Cal 2-27, built in Vancouver, two of them available)
CS 27
Alberg 30 (not really interested, but I'm still curious to look - interior is very small)
Santana 30

Other boats I'm sort of curious about for $20-25K CAD:
Crown 34 (later sold as San Juan 34 - solid, fast boat)
Alberg 37 (old, but solid and classic looks)
Catalina 30 (yes, a Winnebago, but they are popular, so easy for resale...)
Peterson 35 (Vancouver built, based on Ganbare 35 racer)
C&C 30-1
There were three E27’s in the PDX craigslist yesterday. One looked very clean, though it only had a small outboard. One was very cheap - probably a project. One... may have been over-loved by a mad project kind of guy. But it’s hard to tell without looking.

kapnkd

kapnkd
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/ericson-32-2-3524599/?refSource=standard listing

Looks pretty good, although water damage around chainplates is evident.

Does look pretty for sure! ...Seems to have been cared for well by the looks of all the photos.

Having had my 32-II for MANY years - Do check the main bulkheads for dry-rot/water damage. In the main salon, they are covered and it will be hard to detect.

Other critical areas to check are around the companionway hatch and slide rails, the Teak main salon hatch is a real problem for leakage and then around the emergency tiller fitting in the cockpit (The plate attachment screws loosen with time and water can permeate the sole area destroying the wood laminate below.

IF you can get your hands on a moisture meter, it is worth the effort to check deck, cockpit sole and cabin top areas thoroughly. As good of care that I have taken over the years, water still got in and ruined the balsa coring in the areas I mentioned.

We've now replaced the bad areas plus took ALL screwed fittings off, oversized the holes, filled them with glass and re-drilled to prevent moisture from getting to the new coring. We also had Garhauer make us new larger chain plate covers out of a thicker stock of SS to help keep water out as well.

Good luck on your decision(s). The 32 is a great sailing boat for sure!

sgwright67

Member III
There were three E27’s in the PDX craigslist yesterday. One looked very clean, though it only had a small outboard. One was very cheap - probably a project. One... may have been over-loved by a mad project kind of guy. But it’s hard to tell without looking.

There's only one E27 for sale here in Victoria at present, and it's an OB model. I won't go there, as I detest gas engines, and loath outboards in particular. Strangely, I've not seen many 27s for sale here, and all have been OB models so far.

pgadd

Member I
So I went down & took a look today.

The good: New canvas, no obvious stress cracks on the deck, no obvious soft spots or cracking while you walk the deck (Every Ericson I've walked the deck on has had areas that go "crack" when you step on them, indicating a potential delimitation or not enough epoxy or whatever they use in fiberglassing). She appears to have good bones. A thorough clean-up, including either waxing or painting the topsides, would do her wonders. She is a very pretty boat.

The not so good: First, could somebody please explain to me why every brokerage boat I've been on has been filled with the PO's junk? I could barely find the thru hulls, the storage compartments were crammed with stuff you'd want to toss, and EVERYTHING was greasy. UGH! It's like somebody "rode her hard and put her away wet", and then just handed it over to the broker for sale on impulse, washing their hands of it. It's actually kind of sad.

That said, although the bulkheads showed some past water stains, they were dry this morning. And it has been raining pretty good for several days, so perhaps the leaky chainplates had been recaulked. There was, of course, the usual neglected boat odor. There was pretty good-sized crack in the floor pan adjacent to the mast support post. The hatch in the salon needs attention, as it was wet to the touch.

Given a good survey, including separate engine and rigging surveys, she might be doable. I am just going to have to chew on it.

kapnkd

kapnkd
So I went down & took a look today.

The good: New canvas, no obvious stress cracks on the deck, no obvious soft spots or cracking while you walk the deck (Every Ericson I've walked the deck on has had areas that go "crack" when you step on them, indicating a potential delimitation or not enough epoxy or whatever they use in fiberglassing). She appears to have good bones. A thorough clean-up, including either waxing or painting the topsides, would do her wonders. She is a very pretty boat.

The not so good: First, could somebody please explain to me why every brokerage boat I've been on has been filled with the PO's junk? I could barely find the thru hulls, the storage compartments were crammed with stuff you'd want to toss, and EVERYTHING was greasy. UGH! It's like somebody "rode her hard and put her away wet", and then just handed it over to the broker for sale on impulse, washing their hands of it. It's actually kind of sad.

That said, although the bulkheads showed some past water stains, they were dry this morning. And it has been raining pretty good for several days, so perhaps the leaky chainplates had been recaulked. There was, of course, the usual neglected boat odor. There was pretty good-sized crack in the floor pan adjacent to the mast support post. The hatch in the salon needs attention, as it was wet to the touch.

Given a good survey, including separate engine and rigging surveys, she might be doable. I am just going to have to chew on it.

That crack in the floor pan/sole under the mast support could mean that, like my 32, it lacked enough solid material between the floor sole and actual hull in the bilge. Be sure to inspect the headliner above it for repairs or hairline cracks.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Every Ericson I've walked the deck on has had areas that go "crack" when you step on them, indicating a potential delimitation or not enough epoxy or whatever they use in fiberglassing).

Not to hijack the thread, but to hijack it - what sort of repair job is this? I've noticed the port bench in my cockpit crackles a very slight bit when I step on it. But I see no cracks in the gelcoat or anything, so I'm not sure it's worth freaking myself out about.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Not to hijack the thread, but to hijack it - what sort of repair job is this? I've noticed the port bench in my cockpit crackles a very slight bit when I step on it. But I see no cracks in the gelcoat or anything, so I'm not sure it's worth freaking myself out about.

Fixing the crackling noise is easy - you don’t have to (in my opinion), except maybe to get religion about sealing any deck penetration to stop further water from ingressing, which you should do anyway.

Only when the crackling is accompanied by sponginess, indicating an actual breakdown of the structure, do you need to fix it. And then, the repair is intimidating and messy - but ultimately not very difficult and very satisfying once you’ve convinced yourself you can do it. It was amazing to me how few tools were involved - a table saw, a grinder, a sander, scissors to cut the fiberglass, and an optional oscillating saw (Harbor Freight, $17). And a whoooooooole lotta epoxy.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-E32-cockpit-core-repair-an-illustrated-guide

This was a bigger, more existential job; if it didn’t work it would’ve been the end of the boat. But, spoiler alert, it worked perfectly:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...?13256-Seeking-advice-on-E32-mast-step-repair

EDIT: I see Christian was opining on the crackling too. He’s absolutely right, because the benches and hatches have only a small portion of cored glass, and it’s often well-sealed. But the hinges, if they’re loose or stressed, can concentrate force and make the surrounding fiberglass flex and make those sounds.

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
check out the picture of the center hatch (deck view) of the lines through the deck organizers...

makes me wonder...