• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

[32-3] Garbage compartment: dimensions, receptacle, bag attachment?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi folks,

Curious how other 32-3 owners (and 32/32-2/32-200, if the compartment is the same) use the trash receptacle in the starboard lazarette. The one accessed by the swinging door in the galley (on mine). I was looking at Christian's blog: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?482-Ericson-38-Pass-through-Trash-Bin and it looks like he sorta cinches a trash bag around the box, but the trim around mine is too low for this. Any attempt at buying a Rubbermaid box or prefab trash can to go inside has thus far proven unsuccessful because of the dimensions of the box.

Anyone have a product/trash-can that fits nicely in there, or have ideas for how best to otherwise attach a plastic bag inside?

Do you just throw your trash inside and fish it out later?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm on the third and I think final solution.

The first solution is those hardware-store plastic hangers with adhesive.

Place a trash compactor bag (stronger than basic trash bag) in the opening and stick four hooks on to hold it open. Works fine, build in a little stretch.

The adhesive fails after 71 days. So I screwed each one down. Top photo.

Plastic hook itself fails after 403 days.

Currently I use four hefty stainless screw-eyes for the holding corners. They're strong, driven into the wood. Fail time: unknown, I may fail first. Bottom photo.

Fill the compactor bag half full. It's a struggle to get a full bag out.

trash 2.jpg

trash 1.JPG

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
After some experimenting with a couple of brands of glue-down hooks - as Christian says, they only last so long - I went a different way. I found a plastic kitchen-trash bin at Fred Meyer that had an outside dimension about the same as the inside dimension of the bin-opening, figuring I could munge the top of it so it would hold a trash bag just like a kitchen trash bin.

There's no way to get a whole kitchen trash-bin in and out of that space, so I cut off the top 4 inches or so of the kitchen trash bin. It friction-fits fairly elegantly into the top of the bin-opening, and gives me a nice rim I can hang a trash-bag onto and secure with a loop of shock-cord.

A little bit on the "redneck engineering" end of the spectrum, but it works. Next time I'm at the boat I can take a couple photos (and/or give you the spec for the kitchen-bin I cannibalized) if interested.

Bruce

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
A little bit on the "redneck engineering" end of the spectrum, but it works. Next time I'm at the boat I can take a couple photos (and/or give you the spec for the kitchen-bin I cannibalized) if interested.

I'd take it. Though i do like the sound of, and simplicity of, Christian's screweye idea.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'd take it.

Here you go.

I bought a kitchen trash can at Fred Meyer (a chain store in the Northwest about a half-step above wal-mart). According to my copious notes, it is a Sterilite 7-gallon/30-liter kitchen trash can.

Nothing magical about this one, it's just a tapered trash can with outside dimensions near the top that fairly closely match the inside dimensions of the trash bin in the starboard lazarette. I think it cost about 5 bucks.

I cut off the top 3 inches or so...

IMG_1551s.jpg

...and it makes a nice "rim" for putting a trash bag in the trash-bin. Even though it isn't a perfect rectangular fit, it friction-fits into the opening and stays nicely in place.

IMG_1554s.jpg

Put in a trash bag, wrap a loop of shock-cord around the top, and... voila. Easy-peasy, it stays in place, it holds the bag open and securely in place, and .... that's about all I care about.

IMG_1553s.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I agree! It's one of those, "Why the hell didn't I think of that" ideas. Going to try it this year on Vesper and see if we can get rid of the plastic trash can the lives under the nav table.

mordust

Member II
Thanks Bruce! That's one more thing I can cross off my "Staring At For Hours to Figure Out How I Might Do That!" list.
Bob Greene

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bag frame?

I agree! It's one of those, "Why the hell didn't I think of that" ideas. Going to try it this year on Vesper and see if we can get rid of the plastic trash can the lives under the nav table.

On second thought, rather then searching for the right trash can to chop up I think I may just measure the trash compartment opening and build a wooden frame that will fit into the top of the opening. It can have a “v” groove routed into it’s sides to accommodate a bungee cord. If I make it out of 1x sized wood I can use metal “L” brackets to reinforce the corners. I’ll post photos of what I come up with after I make it.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Nice solution Bruce! I managed to find a slightly smaller plastic trash can that actually fit down inside the bin (with a lot of skinned knuckles and colorful language). It was slightly smaller than a standard kitchen can, but normally holds the bag OK, although it isn't tight so sometimes the bag falls down into the can and you've got to dig things out. There is also enough of a gap that sometimes stuff falls between the can and the bin. Your solution is much better and I may try to find a similar can. Although getting the old one out involves even more skinned knuckles and colorful language).

The other addition I made was finding a folding "grabber" like old geezers use to pick up stuff they can't reach for $1 at Goodwill. I keep that in the lazerette for the occasional piece of trash that bounces off the bin and continues on down into the bilge.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Bolo

Contributing Partner
On second thought, rather then searching for the right trash can to chop up I think I may just measure the trash compartment opening and build a wooden frame that will fit into the top of the opening. It can have a “v” groove routed into it’s sides to accommodate a bungee cord. If I make it out of 1x sized wood I can use metal “L” brackets to reinforce the corners. I’ll post photos of what I come up with after I make it.

Following this thread I was inspired by the use of a "standard" kitchen trash can by cutting off the top and using elastic bands to hold the plastic bag in place. So, using stuff laying around my shop I decided to see if I could manufacture a wooden frame custom made for the molded trash space in the starboard lazarette that would hold a tall kitchen trash bag. Right now, on a lot of our boats, we were using a plastic kitchen trash can and storing in various places below depending on what we were doing. Sometime it was under the salon table, other times next to the galley, but most of the time it was jammed between the port side berth and the nav station on our 32-3 which meant that it had to be moved to use the space. The actual trash bin was being used to hold cleaning supplies cause of the problem with keeping a trash bag in place which is the whole point about this thread.

I first measured the inside dimensions of the trash bin that work out to 8-3/4 x 13-7/16. The clearance from the bottom of the trash bin door to the top of the half round molding, that goes around the perimeter of my trash bin, was about 2". So I first cut a frame out of 3/4 wood stock with a width of 1 inch. On that one inch side I routed a "V" groove to accept a elastic band that I purchased on Amazon. After making the wooden frame I cut 2-1/2 wide strips of Starboard and screwed this to the inside of the frame. This allowed the Starboard part of the frame to side down into the existing trash compartment with about 1/8" clearance all around. I also added "L" shaped metal brackets at the corners of the frame, which I screwed and glued together, to help prevent warping.

To my surprise, when I wrapped a tall kitchen garbage bag over the frame there was almost no need for the elastic band or "V" groove for that matter. The bag was elastic enough to keep a tight hold on the frame. It's nice to have the trash compartment back again and to rid ourselves of the "wondering" kitchen trash can below.

View attachment 26789
Top of frame without bag.

View attachment 26790
Frame upside down to show the Starboard insert that goes into the trash bin about 1 inch.

View attachment 26791
Corner detail. Note counter sunk screen and "V" groove that you may or may not want.

View attachment 26793
Tall kitchen trash bag and frame together.

IMG_0731.jpg
Frame with bag in place. (I later relocated the wires so as to not interfere.)

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Hi Bob, sounds like a great solution - only one of your pictures made it though.

Following this thread I was inspired by the use of a "standard" kitchen trash can by cutting off the top and using elastic bands to hold the plastic bag in place. So, using stuff laying around my shop I decided to see if I could manufacture a wooden frame custom made for the molded trash space in the starboard lazarette that would hold a tall kitchen trash bag. Right now, on a lot of our boats, we were using a plastic kitchen trash can and storing in various places below depending on what we were doing. Sometime it was under the salon table, other times next to the galley, but most of the time it was jammed between the port side berth and the nav station on our 32-3 which meant that it had to be moved to use the space. The actual trash bin was being used to hold cleaning supplies cause of the problem with keeping a trash bag in place which is the whole point about this thread.

I first measured the inside dimensions of the trash bin that work out to 8-3/4 x 13-7/16. The clearance from the bottom of the trash bin door to the top of the half round molding, that goes around the perimeter of my trash bin, was about 2". So I first cut a frame out of 3/4 wood stock with a width of 1 inch. On that one inch side I routed a "V" groove to accept a elastic band that I purchased on Amazon. After making the wooden frame I cut 2-1/2 wide strips of Starboard and screwed this to the inside of the frame. This allowed the Starboard part of the frame to side down into the existing trash compartment with about 1/8" clearance all around. I also added "L" shaped metal brackets at the corners of the frame, which I screwed and glued together, to help prevent warping.

To my surprise, when I wrapped a tall kitchen garbage bag over the frame there was almost no need for the elastic band or "V" groove for that matter. The bag was elastic enough to keep a tight hold on the frame. It's nice to have the trash compartment back again and to rid ourselves of the "wondering" kitchen trash can below.

View attachment 26789
Top of frame without bag.

View attachment 26790
Frame upside down to show the Starboard insert that goes into the trash bin about 1 inch.

View attachment 26791
Corner detail. Note counter sunk screen and "V" groove that you may or may not want.

View attachment 26793
Tall kitchen trash bag and frame together.

View attachment 26794
Frame with bag in place. (I later relocated the wires so as to not interfere.)

Navman

Member III
] Garbage compartment: dimensions, receptacle, bag attachment?

I found a trash bin which fits perfectly. Look for an "office" trash can instead of a "kitchen" type. As they are made to fit under a desk, the dimensions are slightly smaller in height, width and depth. I believe I found it at Staples.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Hi Bob, sounds like a great solution - only one of your pictures made it though.

:mad: Well, hells bells! Let me try that again.

IMG_0732.jpg
Frame w/o bag

IMG_0733.jpg
Top of frame

IMG_0734.jpg
Frame upside down

IMG_0736.jpg
Corner detail

IMG_0737.jpg
Elastic band, definitely an option

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use trash compactor bags, they're thicker. Don't break when you wrestle them out.

This has been a very clever thread, nice work all.