Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: [32-3] Garbage compartment: dimensions, receptacle, bag attachment?

  1. #1
    Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    362
    Blog Entries
    3

    [32-3] Garbage compartment: dimensions, receptacle, bag attachment?

    Hi folks,

    Curious how other 32-3 owners (and 32/32-2/32-200, if the compartment is the same) use the trash receptacle in the starboard lazarette. The one accessed by the swinging door in the galley (on mine). I was looking at Christian's blog: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...ough-Trash-Bin and it looks like he sorta cinches a trash bag around the box, but the trim around mine is too low for this. Any attempt at buying a Rubbermaid box or prefab trash can to go inside has thus far proven unsuccessful because of the dimensions of the box.

    Anyone have a product/trash-can that fits nicely in there, or have ideas for how best to otherwise attach a plastic bag inside?

    Do you just throw your trash inside and fish it out later?
    Last edited by Geoff W.; 03-26-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

  2. #2
    Moderator Christian Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,084
    Blog Entries
    78
    I'm on the third and I think final solution.

    The first solution is those hardware-store plastic hangers with adhesive.

    Place a trash compactor bag (stronger than basic trash bag) in the opening and stick four hooks on to hold it open. Works fine, build in a little stretch.

    The adhesive fails after 71 days. So I screwed each one down. Top photo.

    Plastic hook itself fails after 403 days.

    Currently I use four hefty stainless screw-eyes for the holding corners. They're strong, driven into the wood. Fail time: unknown, I may fail first. Bottom photo.

    Fill the compactor bag half full. It's a struggle to get a full bag out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trash 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	26535

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trash 1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	26536
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 03-26-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

  3. #3
    Advanced Beginner bgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    1,286
    Blog Entries
    23
    After some experimenting with a couple of brands of glue-down hooks - as Christian says, they only last so long - I went a different way. I found a plastic kitchen-trash bin at Fred Meyer that had an outside dimension about the same as the inside dimension of the bin-opening, figuring I could munge the top of it so it would hold a trash bag just like a kitchen trash bin.

    There's no way to get a whole kitchen trash-bin in and out of that space, so I cut off the top 4 inches or so of the kitchen trash bin. It friction-fits fairly elegantly into the top of the bin-opening, and gives me a nice rim I can hang a trash-bag onto and secure with a loop of shock-cord.

    A little bit on the "redneck engineering" end of the spectrum, but it works. Next time I'm at the boat I can take a couple photos (and/or give you the spec for the kitchen-bin I cannibalized) if interested.

    Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

  4. #4
    Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    362
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bgary View Post
    A little bit on the "redneck engineering" end of the spectrum, but it works. Next time I'm at the boat I can take a couple photos (and/or give you the spec for the kitchen-bin I cannibalized) if interested.

    I'd take it. Though i do like the sound of, and simplicity of, Christian's screweye idea.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

  5. #5
    Principal Partner GrandpaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Downingtown, Pa.
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Sati View Post
    I'd take it. Though i do like the sound of, and simplicity of, Christian's screweye idea.
    Id like to see as well.
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

  6. #6
    Advanced Beginner bgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    1,286
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W. View Post
    I'd take it.
    Here you go.

    I bought a kitchen trash can at Fred Meyer (a chain store in the Northwest about a half-step above wal-mart). According to my copious notes, it is a Sterilite 7-gallon/30-liter kitchen trash can.

    Nothing magical about this one, it's just a tapered trash can with outside dimensions near the top that fairly closely match the inside dimensions of the trash bin in the starboard lazarette. I think it cost about 5 bucks.

    I cut off the top 3 inches or so...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1551s.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	26550

    ...and it makes a nice "rim" for putting a trash bag in the trash-bin. Even though it isn't a perfect rectangular fit, it friction-fits into the opening and stays nicely in place.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1554s.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	26551

    Put in a trash bag, wrap a loop of shock-cord around the top, and... voila. Easy-peasy, it stays in place, it holds the bag open and securely in place, and .... that's about all I care about.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1553s.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	26552

    Bruce
    Last edited by bgary; 03-29-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

  7. #7
    Principal Partner Kenneth K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    Posts
    480
    Blog Entries
    8
    Perfect.

    Don't tell the marine guys or the price will go up to $39.95.
    Ken
    '85 E32-3 "Mariah" #641
    Universal M-25

    "Saltwater is the cure; sweat, tears, or the sea......"

  8. #8
    Principal Partner GrandpaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Downingtown, Pa.
    Posts
    440
    That is brilliant Bruce!
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

  9. #9
    Principal Partner Bolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    312
    I agree! It's one of those, "Why the hell didn't I think of that" ideas. Going to try it this year on Vesper and see if we can get rid of the plastic trash can the lives under the nav table.
    Bob Skalkowski
    1987 E32 III (#722) - "Vesper"

  10. #10
    Contributing Member II
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    37
    Thanks Bruce! That's one more thing I can cross off my "Staring At For Hours to Figure Out How I Might Do That!" list.
    Bob Greene
    Bob G
    1985 E32-3 #650
    Universal M25
    Celerity
    Sailing on Lake Erie

  11. #11
    Principal Partner Bolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    312

    Bag frame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    I agree! It's one of those, "Why the hell didn't I think of that" ideas. Going to try it this year on Vesper and see if we can get rid of the plastic trash can the lives under the nav table.
    On second thought, rather then searching for the right trash can to chop up I think I may just measure the trash compartment opening and build a wooden frame that will fit into the top of the opening. It can have a v groove routed into its sides to accommodate a bungee cord. If I make it out of 1x sized wood I can use metal L brackets to reinforce the corners. Ill post photos of what I come up with after I make it.
    Bob Skalkowski
    1987 E32 III (#722) - "Vesper"

  12. #12
    Contributing Partner
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Port Townsend WA
    Posts
    179
    Nice solution Bruce! I managed to find a slightly smaller plastic trash can that actually fit down inside the bin (with a lot of skinned knuckles and colorful language). It was slightly smaller than a standard kitchen can, but normally holds the bag OK, although it isn't tight so sometimes the bag falls down into the can and you've got to dig things out. There is also enough of a gap that sometimes stuff falls between the can and the bin. Your solution is much better and I may try to find a similar can. Although getting the old one out involves even more skinned knuckles and colorful language).

    The other addition I made was finding a folding "grabber" like old geezers use to pick up stuff they can't reach for $1 at Goodwill. I keep that in the lazerette for the occasional piece of trash that bounces off the bin and continues on down into the bilge.

    Kevin Wright
    E35 Hydro Therapy

  13. #13
    Principal Partner Bolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    On second thought, rather then searching for the right trash can to chop up I think I may just measure the trash compartment opening and build a wooden frame that will fit into the top of the opening. It can have a v groove routed into its sides to accommodate a bungee cord. If I make it out of 1x sized wood I can use metal L brackets to reinforce the corners. Ill post photos of what I come up with after I make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    On second thought, rather then searching for the right trash can to chop up I think I may just measure the trash compartment opening and build a wooden frame that will fit into the top of the opening. It can have a v groove routed into its sides to accommodate a bungee cord. If I make it out of 1x sized wood I can use metal L brackets to reinforce the corners. Ill post photos of what I come up with after I make it.
    Following this thread I was inspired by the use of a "standard" kitchen trash can by cutting off the top and using elastic bands to hold the plastic bag in place. So, using stuff laying around my shop I decided to see if I could manufacture a wooden frame custom made for the molded trash space in the starboard lazarette that would hold a tall kitchen trash bag. Right now, on a lot of our boats, we were using a plastic kitchen trash can and storing in various places below depending on what we were doing. Sometime it was under the salon table, other times next to the galley, but most of the time it was jammed between the port side berth and the nav station on our 32-3 which meant that it had to be moved to use the space. The actual trash bin was being used to hold cleaning supplies cause of the problem with keeping a trash bag in place which is the whole point about this thread.

    I first measured the inside dimensions of the trash bin that work out to 8-3/4 x 13-7/16. The clearance from the bottom of the trash bin door to the top of the half round molding, that goes around the perimeter of my trash bin, was about 2". So I first cut a frame out of 3/4 wood stock with a width of 1 inch. On that one inch side I routed a "V" groove to accept a elastic band that I purchased on Amazon. After making the wooden frame I cut 2-1/2 wide strips of Starboard and screwed this to the inside of the frame. This allowed the Starboard part of the frame to side down into the existing trash compartment with about 1/8" clearance all around. I also added "L" shaped metal brackets at the corners of the frame, which I screwed and glued together, to help prevent warping.

    To my surprise, when I wrapped a tall kitchen garbage bag over the frame there was almost no need for the elastic band or "V" groove for that matter. The bag was elastic enough to keep a tight hold on the frame. It's nice to have the trash compartment back again and to rid ourselves of the "wondering" kitchen trash can below.

    Attachment 26789
    Top of frame without bag.

    Attachment 26790
    Frame upside down to show the Starboard insert that goes into the trash bin about 1 inch.

    Attachment 26791
    Corner detail. Note counter sunk screen and "V" groove that you may or may not want.

    Attachment 26793
    Tall kitchen trash bag and frame together.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	26794
    Frame with bag in place. (I later relocated the wires so as to not interfere.)
    Bob Skalkowski
    1987 E32 III (#722) - "Vesper"

  14. #14
    Principal Partner GrandpaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Downingtown, Pa.
    Posts
    440
    Hi Bob, sounds like a great solution - only one of your pictures made it though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Following this thread I was inspired by the use of a "standard" kitchen trash can by cutting off the top and using elastic bands to hold the plastic bag in place. So, using stuff laying around my shop I decided to see if I could manufacture a wooden frame custom made for the molded trash space in the starboard lazarette that would hold a tall kitchen trash bag. Right now, on a lot of our boats, we were using a plastic kitchen trash can and storing in various places below depending on what we were doing. Sometime it was under the salon table, other times next to the galley, but most of the time it was jammed between the port side berth and the nav station on our 32-3 which meant that it had to be moved to use the space. The actual trash bin was being used to hold cleaning supplies cause of the problem with keeping a trash bag in place which is the whole point about this thread.

    I first measured the inside dimensions of the trash bin that work out to 8-3/4 x 13-7/16. The clearance from the bottom of the trash bin door to the top of the half round molding, that goes around the perimeter of my trash bin, was about 2". So I first cut a frame out of 3/4 wood stock with a width of 1 inch. On that one inch side I routed a "V" groove to accept a elastic band that I purchased on Amazon. After making the wooden frame I cut 2-1/2 wide strips of Starboard and screwed this to the inside of the frame. This allowed the Starboard part of the frame to side down into the existing trash compartment with about 1/8" clearance all around. I also added "L" shaped metal brackets at the corners of the frame, which I screwed and glued together, to help prevent warping.

    To my surprise, when I wrapped a tall kitchen garbage bag over the frame there was almost no need for the elastic band or "V" groove for that matter. The bag was elastic enough to keep a tight hold on the frame. It's nice to have the trash compartment back again and to rid ourselves of the "wondering" kitchen trash can below.

    Attachment 26789
    Top of frame without bag.

    Attachment 26790
    Frame upside down to show the Starboard insert that goes into the trash bin about 1 inch.

    Attachment 26791
    Corner detail. Note counter sunk screen and "V" groove that you may or may not want.

    Attachment 26793
    Tall kitchen trash bag and frame together.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	26794
    Frame with bag in place. (I later relocated the wires so as to not interfere.)
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

  15. #15
    Sustaining Partner
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    222

    ] Garbage compartment: dimensions, receptacle, bag attachment?

    I found a trash bin which fits perfectly. Look for an "office" trash can instead of a "kitchen" type. As they are made to fit under a desk, the dimensions are slightly smaller in height, width and depth. I believe I found it at Staples.
    Don Moran, AKA Navman
    1986 E- 38
    S.V. The Optimist II
    Universal 5432
    Hull# 536

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-13-2018, 10:19 AM
  2. Enclosing Motor Compartment 36 RH
    By tcooper in forum Maintenance & Mechanical
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 05:29 PM
  3. battery compartment
    By drcam1 in forum Maintenance & Mechanical
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM
  4. battery compartment ventilation
    By davisr in forum Maintenance & Mechanical
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
  5. cockpit compartment, what is it for?
    By jrencher in forum Design & Function
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 08:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •