• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is the E32 a desirable boat

Forde35

I’ve been searching for a 30-35’ Ericson for awhile. I’ve come across a 1977 E32 that looks promising. I’ve always been attracted to what I call orphans when buying anything mechanical. Cheap to get, a bear to get rid of. I sail mainly in the Chesapeake/Rappahannock area. I understand the whole old boat thing. I was wondering more about how desirable this boat will be in the future i.e. size, draft, age, style, design. I know the Ericson is a well built boat and if taken care of will last. Just looking for a different opinion. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Yup, it's good.

*edit* Ok, I'll be a little more helpful.

I'm new to E32-3 ownership, having had mine less than a year, but all the boat people I tell about it nod appreciatively and say, "Those Ericsons are good boats." People who see mine nod appreciatively and say, "This is a good boat." I look at a lot of other sailboat around the marina but find the 32-3 pleasing to the eye and quite capable. In the winter beer-can races in Seattle this year, we had multiple podium finishes against boats of similar vintage, and I have old dacron sails.

They're good boats. They're also getting to be 40 years old - find one with good bones and accept that you're going to be replacing/refreshing a lot of systems over the course of ownership.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure what is being requested. A "different" opinion?
I can state that a 1977 model of the Ericson 32-2, is from near the end of the (lengthly) production run for one their more popular designs. To me, that is a Good Thing because most bugs or annoyances have been weeded out over the years.
That model was designed and engineered for both open water racing and family cruising. Most of the owners I have met really love the way it sails. Also, it has more interior headroom than most contemporary boats -- as much or more than "bigger" current designs. Matter of fact it accommodates a little taller person than my Olson 34, which has 6'2" of headroom.

Is there some specific information you need?

If you have a link to post for a boat you are shopping, please do so. Often other owners can spot details worthy of comment.
(I remember being rather overwhelmed by my present boat when I bought it. Lots to see and I lacked perspective on what was more or less important/significant. Good Thing that I had a top notch surveyor checking it out!)

Last edited:

sgwright67

Member III
My inexperienced view...

I really like the earlier E designs, the 27, 29, 32-2 and 35-2, although this is probably because they are the ones in my price range. :)
However, when looking at them practically, in terms of cockpit and cabin space and LWL, it seems there are diminishing returns as you go up the size range, but I suppose this is probably true of the newer designs also. This is mostly based on studying the boats at the dock, and from drawings, as I have only been aboard a few 29s, not any of the other models.

If you don't need/want a U shaped dinette, then the 27 offers a remarkable amount of amenities for its size. IB or OB engine options, and mostly tiller steering.

The 29 just stretches the 27 out a bit, with a wider, almost double quarterberth (unless the engine lid has been raised), and always comes with an inboard; models after '75 have standard binnacle steering.

The 32-2 gets you a U shaped dinette, but not much else over the 29. The displacement is only 300lbs more, and the LWL only 2' longer than the 29. Some of the extra length is in overhangs which don't contribute much to LWL or space.

The 35-2 just stretches the 32 design a bit more, with a bit more space everywhere, but also more pronounced overhangs, and less than 2' increase in LWL, and only a few inches more beam than the 32-2.

The 27 and 29 may appear a bit stubby with shorter overhangs, but offer the best bang for the buck in terms of usable space in the cockpit and cabin areas, and both offer good foredeck access compared with other makes in this size.

The 32-2 and 35-2 are both very graceful designs with long overhangs, but with the prices generally 2-3x the price of a 29 in similar condition, offer less value overall.

I think the pricing has a lot to do with perception, and which side of the magic 30' line the boat sits. As all of these boats approach the 50 year mark, it will be harder to justify a price comparable to boats built and designed in the late 70s/early 80s, which offer *much* more usable space, and usually sailing performance, at similar prices. For example, the 80s Ericson 30+ sells for about the same as a 70s 32-2 in similar condition, but offers more space all around thanks to wider beam and shorter overhangs, and also a lower PHRF rating. Likewise, the 32-3 compares similarly with the older 35-2.

Those with more experience than me (which is pretty much everyone here...) may offer some corrections, but these are my thoughts based on far too much couch sailing, and not nearly enough real sailing...

btw, I use the following to compare PHRF ratings to get a rough idea of where a boat sits in its class:

http://solovalcour.com/doc/PHRF.pdf

kapnkd

kapnkd
I’ve been searching for a 30-35’ Ericson for awhile. I’ve come across a 1977 E32 that looks promising. I’ve always been attracted to what I call orphans when buying anything mechanical. Cheap to get, a bear to get rid of. I sail mainly in the Chesapeake/Rappahannock area. I understand the whole old boat thing. I was wondering more about how desirable this boat will be in the future i.e. size, draft, age, style, design. I know the Ericson is a well built boat and if taken care of will last. Just looking for a different opinion. Thanks

I've owned my '73 E32-2 since new. I was looking for a 27 but none were available in my area at the time. For me, the 32 was an instant love affair when first I slid the companionway open. It was a boat that I/we grew into as I got married and later had a son.

I mostly cruised (lots in the Bahamas) and the dead-rise off the stern was a nice feature of added bouncy in a following sea. Her lines proved timeless and even today I still get compliments on the overall design.

She went primarily from a comfortable cruiser to a racer as my son grew and got into the racing aspect. She's proved to be a real winner on the local circuits over the years and we have more flags than space to hang them!

CaryOn Interior.jpgWinches and rigging layout.jpgCaryOn - Ericson 32.jpgCabin Sole1a.jpg

There are a surprising amount of 32-2's out there as well as more spacious 32-3's at decent prices. It boils down to how much time, effort and $$ you can put into one. Biggest thing for all of them is to get/use a moisture meter around the hatches (especially main salon hatch & companionway) AND the chain plates. I've found my Ericson to be a good performing and comfortable boat and have kept up with the maintenance over the years by myself. On the EYO site you can find some write-ups (articles) by boating magazines regarding the E32...DO check them out.

Not to scare you but - We've upgraded over the years with a diesel over the A-4 engine, las-drop shaft seal, double life lines & new (used) bow pulpit along with a larger wheel, new chain plates & bulkheads, plas-teak flooring and eva teak in the cockpit. All ports have been re-bedded with new seals to the glass and butyl rubber to re-bed the ports. We've also upgraded the electrical panel to a blue seas that has the AC & DC together relocating it to the port side aft storage compartment.

Guaranteed - you will find a TON of personal knowledge and excellent opinions to help you out on this site! They are indeed "GOOD OLD BOATS" that still look good and sail decent. ...Good luck in your search!
-kerry

Forde35

Hey guys. Thanks for the input. I’ve been hunting a E35 for a bit but they all have been one step above complete rebuilds with deferred maintenance. So figured I’d broaden my horizons and expand the search. I found an E32 for 10K which seems inline, but depending on how much it needs in repairs.....
The majority of our sailing is daily trip around the Chesapeake with occasionally an over night.
i was concerned it might be a tweener boat. To big to be a small boat and to small to be a big boat. I believe it could fit my needs nicely, but when it’s time to pass it along will It be a major hassle to find the next buyer?

Find a boat you will love...I did and have had my 1983 35-3 for 36 years. Don"t worry about the NEXT buyer.

On Sketcher and love it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Find a boat you will love...I did and have had my 1983 35-3 for 36 years. Don"t worry about the NEXT buyer.

On Sketcher and love it.

Good Advice!
We found our Olson 34, after a deal fell thru on an Ericson 32-200. That was in 1994.... still enjoying it.
:egrin:

Harking to what Kerry might be getting at, once you find a quality (!) boat of about, say, 8000# displacement or a bit more, whether the length is 31 or 34... it's big enough for a couple to cruise on for a month, and a small crew to race -- day sailing or overnight.
A well designed craft will do both.

That's a guideline, but not an absolute...

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I found an E32 for 10K which seems inline, but depending on how much it needs in repairs.....

An E32 for 10k sounds like PROJECT BOAT to me. Maybe that's not a bad thing, depending on what you're putting into it, but that's a step below fixer-upper in what I'd expect to pay. Maybe I'm off base.

Not sure what the sailboat scene is on the east coast, but out here in the PNW, nice boats go quite quickly, contrary to popular wisdom. A bristol C&C 35 was bought out from me with a bag of cash, no survey required. I put an offer in on my Ericson after my first visit, but was admittedly licking my wounds from the C&C...

*edit*: The folks above me have good advice on this. I figure when and if it comes time to sell my Ericson, I'll be happy and lucky to get what I paid for it when I bought it. And that's assuming I've probably put about the boat's value into it in maintenance and improvements. As such, I won't focus on the good-bye, I have plenty of sailing to do before then.

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hey guys. Thanks for the input. I’ve been hunting a E35 for a bit but they all have been one step above complete rebuilds with deferred maintenance. So figured I’d broaden my horizons and expand the search. I found an E32 for 10K which seems inline, but depending on how much it needs in repairs.....
The majority of our sailing is daily trip around the Chesapeake with occasionally an over night.
i was concerned it might be a tweener boat. To big to be a small boat and to small to be a big boat. I believe it could fit my needs nicely, but when it’s time to pass it along will It be a major hassle to find the next buyer?

Sounds like a 32-II might work out well for you then. She should handle most everything the Chesapeake will normally throw at you, give you a comfortable ride and be easy to sail. The boat is well balanced and I have often set the wheel lock and let her sail herself once properly trimmed.

Do keep in mind, the head, as is on the 27 & 29 is a tad small plus there is no shower. In all honesty we really haven’t missed that feature. In the Bahamas, we simply used a good sudzing soap and quickly towel dried. We’re also members of an AYC affiliated boat club and can visit other clubs ALL over and use their facilities for VERY reasonable rates. Most AYC clubs have nice showers, good food and limited boat services. Now that the wife and I are getting older, she prefers a comfortable slip over an anchorage. (Too many times of the inevitable “Murphy’s Law” storms rolling through at 3 or 4 in the morning.) We still anchor for wine & cheese sunsets with friends a lot but have found the hospitality of other clubs and meeting new people to be equally fun.

kapnkd

kapnkd

On Sketcher and love it.
From

Got to agree! The 35-3 is one of the nicest and roomiest ones out there! Great design and layout! If our boat wasn’t considered family, it’s what I’d trade and go for.

sgwright67

Member III
I've owned my '73 E32-2 since new. I was looking for a 27 but none were available in my area at the time. For me, the 32 was an instant love affair when first I slid the companionway open. It was a boat that I/we grew into as I got married and later had a son.

I mostly cruised (lots in the Bahamas) and the dead-rise off the stern was a nice feature of added bouncy in a following sea. Her lines proved timeless and even today I still get compliments on the overall design.

She went primarily from a comfortable cruiser to a racer as my son grew and got into the racing aspect. She's proved to be a real winner on the local circuits over the years and we have more flags than space to hang them!
Guaranteed - you will find a TON of personal knowledge and excellent opinions to help you out on this site! They are indeed "GOOD OLD BOATS" that still look good and sail decent. ...Good luck in your search!
-kerry

This is great info, and thanks for the photos - that is a beautifully kept 32-2! I would make an exception to our budget ceiling should one that nice come along.

kapnkd

kapnkd
This is great info, and thanks for the photos - that is a beautifully kept 32-2! I would make an exception to our budget ceiling should one that nice come along.

Thanks for the compliments, it’s a labor of love and DEFINITELY “The Never Ending Project”.

My son has a knack for being able to find all sorts of deals on various boats so I will mention your desires to him. ...Always helps to have extra eyes looking for good deals. Here on this site, others have mentioned Ericsons for sale and links to the sites.

Last edited:

sgwright67

Member III
Thanks for the compliments, it’s a labor of love and DEFINITELY “The Never Ending Project”.

My son has a knack for being able to find all sorts of deals on various boats so I will mention your desires to him. ...Always helps to have extra eyes looking for good deals. Here on this site, others have mentioned Ericsons for sale and links to the sites.

Well 45 years is a long time for anything, so I can imagine how she must be a member of the family. Our Westy is only at 23 years and I can't imagine parting with her.

Thanks for the offer of locating a boat. It's funny how things work. I started out almost a year ago thinking I wanted a C&C as that was the boat I wanted when I was younger. But after looking at more of them, they just don't speak to me the way Ericsons do. I thought that if I found a C&C 30-1 in good shape, it would be the one. But when I found one in mint condition, it didn't have the effect I thought it would. That C&C is still available, down to $23K CAD, but I'd sooner have an E30+ now, or a 32-2/3, but I have considered buying it if nothing else comes along. Around here, C&Cs are at least 5x more common than Ericsons, so it may take another year to find a good Ericson.

frick

Member III
The size also meant a different racing class

when I think of sizes of sailboat I think the magic size is 25 to 30 foot. Big enough to sail, small enough to single handle with ease.
Also in the 1970 The Ericson 25 to 29 would race MORC (Midget Ocean Racing Class)
Over 30 foot would be in the IOR Class. (International Ocean Racing)

Before that it was 1/4 ton/ 1/2 ton and one ton Classes

Rick+

kapnkd

kapnkd
Well 45 years is a long time for anything, so I can imagine how she must be a member of the family. Our Westy is only at 23 years and I can't imagine parting with her.

Thanks for the offer of locating a boat. It's funny how things work. I started out almost a year ago thinking I wanted a C&C as that was the boat I wanted when I was younger. But after looking at more of them, they just don't speak to me the way Ericsons do. I thought that if I found a C&C 30-1 in good shape, it would be the one. But when I found one in mint condition, it didn't have the effect I thought it would. That C&C is still available, down to $23K CAD, but I'd sooner have an E30+ now, or a 32-2/3, but I have considered buying it if nothing else comes along. Around here, C&Cs are at least 5x more common than Ericsons, so it may take another year to find a good Ericson.

You're welcome. My son is currently on a business trip but I will speak with him when he returns. I may be repeating what you've already done but, a quick search on my own found a 35 II on the East Coast for $14,900 you might want to take a peek at: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1976-ericson-35-sloop-6693104/

A lot of work 34'er in Pasadena, MD. for only $7500. (She had water ABOVE the engine) Photos are probably BEFORE the water intrusion??: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1987-ericson-sloop-6635696/

Also a '77 29' in Gilford, NH. for $9500: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1977-ericson-29-6333828/

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You're welcome. My son is currently on a business trip but I will speak with him when he returns. I may be repeating what you've already done but, a quick search on my own found a 35 II on the East Coast for $14,900 you might want to take a peek at: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1976-ericson-35-sloop-6693104/

A lot of work 34'er in Pasadena, MD. for only $7500. (She had water ABOVE the engine) Photos are probably BEFORE the water intrusion??: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1987-ericson-sloop-6635696/

Also a '77 29' in Gilford, NH. for $9500: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1977-ericson-29-6333828/

Note that there is an excellent thread on this site from a hard-working owner of an E-34 (late model) that nearly sank, in salt water. He was able to pump it out and save the engine, immediately.

Considering the advertised boat, even a few days delay would have likely caused a different outcome. The local 37' iboat was towed to a yard where the insurance company and the yard and the owner got into a protracted "discussion" and eventually a new engine was installed. Owner has it minimally in operation now, and most of the wiring has been replaced. He is still working on it regularly, and I believe that he will fully restore it.

My take on this is that unless a boat that suffered massive flooding was dewatered and the engine cleaned out The Same Day, just plan on a new engine and all associated wiring and equipment. With any number of hours of water intrusion, the interior woodwork and obviously the cushions are all highly suspect. (That is all IMHO, and YMMV)

If, for the sake of comparison, you get an 80's E-34 for under 8K, and put in about 40K or 50K to renew everything inside.... it will never be worth more than 40k or 50K, and its disclosed history will possibly reduce its future value even tho you have reams of receipts to wave at a prospective buyer.
IF... you keep it for at least ten years after you invest a year of your time rebuilding everything, you will be ahead... being able to sail a fully-restored vessel that would take 200K to replace new.

It sort of depends... on your skill and money and commitment. The later is really important.
:rolleyes:

Opinions rendered, deposit $.01 please, Thursday special!

Last edited:

mfield

Member III
At some personal risk, I will venture that No the E32 is not a desirable model.

Slip rentals often have a break at 3o, 35 and 40 feet so if you want a day sailor that is too small to cruise with then go for the 29. If you have other ambitions go for the 35-3 or 38.

I think the 35s are manageable single handed.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
At some personal risk, I will venture that No the E32 is not a desirable model.

Slip rentals often have a break at 3o, 35 and 40 feet so if you want a day sailor that is too small to cruise with then go for the 29. If you have other ambitions go for the 35-3 or 38.

I think the 35s are manageable single handed.

Bold move, Mike :nerd:

But you do make a good point - shoppers should check out the dock or swing-mooring costs at the marina(s) they plan to use to see if there is a sharp jump in price within the size range one is considering, and then decide whether or not the extra annual storage costs are worth the extra boat features offered by getting (barely) into the above-cutoff length.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seems to me that a bigger boat is more expensive in many ways, and the slip fee is the least of it.

If the calculation is that close, the known unknowns, not to mention the unknown unknowns, will fall like hammers.