• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boom Kicker

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Anyone out there use a Boom Kicker? If so what has your experience been? I have one and am on the fence about installing it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
.02 worth of experiences

A "rod vang" was factory standard on our '88 boat. I recall thinking that if I known how convenient that was compared to the topping lift line on our prior boat I would have installed one that former boat!

The gas return piston in that old vang had lost pressure by the late 90's, and I replaced it with a new one that uses springs for the return force. Still have it and like it.

It's great not have the old topping lift line waving around and catching on batten pockets. (That problem is curable, mostly, with a lower section of bungy cord led to a small cleat on the boom.)

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Yes, I use a boom kicker. It works great. I was able to remove my old topping lift completely. That allowed a little bit more roach on the mainsail I got some years back. Maybe it is not quite so elegant as a ridged rod Vang, but nearly so, and a good option.