• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Traveler

morning star

Greetings from ERY38X80M82K SOMEWHERE IN THE CARIBBEAN
My traveler after 37 years has cracked it’s sheaves. Quite like myself. It is a Ronstan unit. Has anyone replaced theirs and liked the results ? I find it quite a challenge to adjust my traveler while under load. Should it be able to travel while under load ?
The units available from a local chandlery seem to be sized for 32 foot boats. I pointed out to the salesman that I think a 38 foot boat is larger.
However I am sure that mainsail size and placement under the boom is very important to sizing a traveler.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks to all for your wonderful website.
Steve

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Can you be a bit more precise about where the crack is?
The car? Track itself? The cabin top gel coat?

I am not at all sure about whether the UPS or FedEx truck can find you, but lots of owners have replaced the original part with Garhauer or (for a few more $) Harken. Either one will roll a LOT better than the early-80's product.

Do you have a picture you could post?

There are previous threads about this and here is one:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?2662-New-Traveler

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes. And if you order through West Marine, you can return it if the car turns out not to be the issue. My real improvement was from the redesigned control ends.

sharonov

Member II
My Control Ends are in bad shape as well....
Same here. Cam cleat mounting plate got bent after a mild acidental jibe. I hammered it back but have no confidence in its strength.
20190330_004510.jpg
This is on E32-3, not E38. Still I measured the track at 32mm, so I guess this may be the same traveler.. Except it says Shaefer in a few places!? Now, I do not see 32mm hardware on a Schaefer web site. Did they stop making it or my traveler got basterdized and has hybrid hardware?
Anyway Harken seems to have 32mm hardware. Does anybody know if Harken control ends will work on Ericson traveler?