• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-3 dorade box leaks

littlj

The dorade box just forward of the mast was plugged by the former owner apparently due to water infiltration into the salon between the bulkhead and the forward portlight. I have heard that the 35-3 has a problem in this structure but have not heard of any specifics that might lead lead me to the cure. Any Thoughts?
John Littlefield

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Dorade Leak

John: it is a common problem.....the fix that I used was very complicated and time consuming.....and not worth it..

I do not feel that the amount of ventilation is worth fixing a very bad manufacturing defect.

Leave it sealed.

If you want to contact me back channel I can explain in detail.

derekl

Dorade Leaks

John
This site has tons of useful information on the 35-3 Dorade Box Leaks. I have found that the small fwd drain or weep holes actually were sending water into the headliner and into cabin. If you research on this site folks have included pictures and insight as to how and why the box leaks in the first place. I am thinking about completely removing the box in the future. So far I have just chased the leaks and filled with Total Boat epoxy.

Windsong E-35-3 #147
Rhode Island

MMLOGAN

Member III
Pressurize the box and find the leaks below

John,

We had the same issue. The final fix for us:

Plug all the weep holes but one
Cut a plate to cap the opening of the Dorade box
Put a bit of water in the Dorade box
Apply pressurized air to the one weep hole not plugged
Open the head liner in the head and main salon near the mast
Watch the water bubble out of the fiberglass in the head
Mark the spots that bubble with a sharpie
Dry all of the spots from above and below with a heat gun
Macgyer a large syringe to a rubber cup to pull vacuum from below at a specific spot
Hot glue the cup/syringe to the previously marked spot
Pour Smiths CPE in Dorade box
Draw Smiths CPE in to the void using the vacuum created with the syringe
Rinse, lather and repeat the last three steps for each spot identified

Best of luck with your project!

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[posted simultaneously with Matt]

If the Dorade is like the one on the E381, the problem is that the roof inside was not properly sealed in the manufacture. The surface looks like wood. It rots. The weep holes easily clog, trapping water inside.

The solution, at least for me, is to provide an epoxy coating on the floor of the Dorade. If rotten, first prepare with Git-rot or similar. Then paint, for UV protection and appearance.

The weep holes have to work. The angle makes them hard to drill out, so before sealing the interior some protective tube or other anticipation might be useful.

In fact, my Dorade has not leaked. I have just filled and sanded the "wood" floor in the storage hole, painted it, and cleared the weep holes.

If the leak is coming from under the Dorade cowls, I'm sure the sealing project is considerably more awkward, since you have to work through the small openings.

Twin Dorades put a large volume of air below in heavy sea conditions when the rest of the boat is sealed, so if you can save them it's worth it.

dorade box.jpg

Last edited:

littlj

Thank you everyone

These insights are incredibly useful. I feel that I have joined a wonderful and accepting family of Ericson owners and enthusiasts here.
With appreciation and best wishes,
John Littlefield
sailing out of Nyack, NY

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking at my own picture it seems the bedding of the feet of the protective stainless rail would also be a prime suspect.

I need to re-bed mine soon, since the core must be vulnerable there after 35 years.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What is the Dorade Box Opening For?

Sail ties? Beer cans? Winch handles?

Here is one "official" explanaton, from the E38 brochure:

dorade box explained.JPG

mizunoman101

Member I
We own a 1984 E-35 and we had the exact same problem. At first we never imagined it could be the Dorade Box ... so I re-bedded everything in the area (that I could reach). I re-sealed everything around the mast collar... Nothing worked. Finally we had a custom snap on canvas cover made for the entire Dorade box and vents. Now we snap it on when it's going to rain, and like magic.. the leaks are gone...

1911tex

Sustaining Member
For several months I have temporarily been keeping small trash bags bungee tied over the vents and covered the dorade box top opening with duct tape; the vent holes kept open.... until I determine if that was the problem or what the problem is....just had a gulley whomper rain...5 inches in 3.5 hours with heavy winds. Guess what...no dampness, nada inside, underneath the dorade area where the headliner over the decades deteriorated, nothing. Why did it take the P/O's almost 4 decades to discover/solve this pitiful problem. Why oh why early on, didn't Ericson put out a notification for a fix?? Poor example for any manufacturer for an important factory defect. Absolutely no excuse. Now going to take Christians advice a few postings up.