• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement of Main Topping Lift

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
main topping lift E38.JPG

I replaced the main Topping Lift (TL) with Spectra. Yes, a solid vang -- no TL at all -- is probably better, but I'm used to the old ways. And keeping the two grand.

The factory TL is vinyl coated 3/16th stainless wire, more or less. Very robust. The wire tail that runs through the boom-end sheave had meat hooks, so the rigger said to make that Spectra, too. We also replaced the 3/8th rope tails.

I tend to adjust the topping lift a lot--reefing, removing slop and adjusting height of boom in the slip. That requires climbing on the cabin house to the cleat on the boom. Why not lead it back to the cockpit? Good idea.

However, the gooseneck has only three sheaves, two for reef lines and one, currently, for the outhaul.

1-IMG_2308.jpg

I figured: just switch the outhaul to the old topping lift boom cleat.

Then use the old outhaul sheave for the topping lift, and lead the topping lift back for ease of adjustment.

But wait--that means an additional deck organizer sheave, too. And I don't have line clutch available for it, either.

outhaul and organizers.JPG

So, no dice. I'll live with it as it is. That's a good feeling.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Can you say more about how / when you'd adjust the topping lift while sailing? Mine almost never gets touched, hanging more or less free. I tighten the vang when reaching or downwind to keep the boom from bouncing, but topping lift stays static.

Apologies for the side-related question to the mechanical topic of the thread.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
On my current boat I have a rigid vang. However, on previous boats I have added a masthead block where the topping lift attaches just forward of the backstay. I then added a “spare halyard” to act as a topping lift. It can be adjusted at a cleat on the mast or led aft with other halyards as you desire. It has several benefits:
1. It serves as a spare main halyard when you accidentally let go of the main halyard shackle at sea or the halyard becomes fouled inside the mast.
2. It does not require access to the boom itself to adjust, which is great on a run, if there is a dodger, or if the water is rough.
3. It serves as a safety line when using the main halyard for a bosun’s chair. Unlike using a jib or spinnaker halyard as a safety line, it need not be passed around the spreaders on the way up and down.
4. It can be used to fly a decorative flag aft of the mainsail leech when sailing.
5. It frees up sheaves at the end of the boom for other uses. (e.g. a 3rd reef outhaul)
6. It can be used along with the main halyard if the boom is used as a crane to lift something heavy on or off the boat.

Having a block up there with a small tracer line even makes sense with a rigid vang, as a heavier line can be passed at any time as a spare main halyard or safety line.
Mike Jacker

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
how / when you'd adjust the topping lift while sailing?

I had the same thought. I have my TL (generally) adjusted to the a height that keeps me from bonking my head on the boom when at the dock. When the main is raised, the TL ends up with a little slack in it, just enough to clear the leech and stay out of the way. The TL holds the boom at a workable height when the main halyard is slacked while reefing, and then is slightly slack and out of the way when the clew end of the reef is secured. I haven't (yet) had reason to fuss with it to any great extent under sail....

I do know that the effort involved to two-block the reef-line (and, along the way pull the boom up to the reef-clew) probably puts unnecessary loads on the reef cringle, but, I'm guessing not a lot more load than when the reef is in and the sail is sheeted back in.

?

Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh, it's probably just my setup. Nothing to do with sail shape.

When I hoist the main, the topping lift becomes too slack for my taste (function of where I set it when leaving the boat) .

Any reef, which raises the boom, also leaves too much slack (for my taste).

And, probably, I'm a compulsive fiddler. Adjustments only necessary if it bugs you.

Last edited: