• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bad Installs!

David Grimm

E38-200
Hello, Have you ever looked at work done on you boat by the previous owner and just shook your head in discuss. This wire going through the floor of the cockpit is the autopilot power wire. This was just someone being to lazy to run it through the binnacle guard.

I want to mount my new Vesper Watchmate at the nav station and am contemplating cutting and recessing it into the wood by the black velcro strip. What do you guys think of cutting the wood? I like this location because its easy to see at a glance from the nav seat.

Dave

Attachments

• 20190314_161911.jpg
    20190314_161911.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190322_165455.jpg
    20190322_165455.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 39

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I straightened your photo (manipulate them and upload them from a desktop computer for best result).
We have our AP power cable inside the guard on one leg, and the double cables for the chart plotter running up the other leg. Tedious work getting them thru there!
:rolleyes:

Love the fly swatter! We worry about crows and sea gulls here..............

Attachments

• Binnacle Wiring Confusion!.jpg
    Binnacle Wiring Confusion!.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Thanks Loren, So would you cut the interior wood to recess the AIS Unit? The big plan is to wire it to a Garmin 942 which will overlay the AIS data plus wind and depth from the Raymarine st60's The Garmin will wirelessly transmit to my magneticly mounted Samsung 10.1 at the nav station so I can keep my eye on everything.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Re the Vesper, you could also design a handy shelf on that seatback and hang the Vesper display under it, tilted "down."

My wires go through the tubing of the pedestal guard, too. For me that meant splicing the sonar wire, which is "forbidden" by Airmar but easy to do.

Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Christian, Which Airmar are you using? I'm in the process of making a binnacle pod out of stainless.

Attachments

• 20190318_191107.jpg
    20190318_191107.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 215

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the 32-3 it was an Airmar P-72, I can't remember what model I put on this boat. Just make sure it is compatible with the chartplotter--and has the same connectors (6-pin, 8-pin). These are shoot-through-the-hull, not through-hull.

That is one robust binnacle box!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding cutting a hole in that perfect veneer...
I prefer trying to find a way to "surface mount" parts when possible and reasonable.

When we got our boat the PO had cut a hole for a cheapie stereo that had long died before we bought the boat. I found a way to repurpose that opening but if you change your mind about such an opening later it's often like trying to 'unring a bell'.

(The PO had also screwed stereo speakers (cheap ones - that corroded) to each side of the forward bulkhead. I was able to teak-plug about four screw holes on each side before refinishing that beautiful teak surface. They are mostly invisible now.)

David Grimm

E38-200
Thanks Christian, I found it at WM. Thanks again. Loren, When I saw my boat for the first time I noticed that the starboard grabrail was missing a section closest to the bow. There's a repaird fiberglass spot there as well but a good enough job that it looked factory. I really think the grab rail is necessary. I started looking for a salvage Ericson to get the rail off of and then It hit me. A PO cut the rail out to put a vent in! Just like the PO of the salvage boat but that vent is still in its place. Ugh. What a horrible place for a vent! What ever happened to "safty first"? I'm in the process of getting the salvage port side rail and I'll just install it backwards. The screws should be really close.... I hope!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190322-183433_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190322-183433_Gallery.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20190324-185610_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190324-185610_Gallery.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 28

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi David,

That spot is where the factory chimney for the bulkhead fireplace/stove came through the deck on the E38-200. See page 4 of the brochure. A PO must have removed it.

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi David,

That spot is where the factory chimney for the bulkhead fireplace/stove came through the deck on the E38-200. See page 4 of the brochure. A PO must have removed it.

Mark

I believe that the model 38-200 never had a factory solid fuel stove like the different interior layout of the earlier model 38 and model 381.
So the handrail would be solid on starboard side with no interruption. Why a model called a 38-200 would show that handrail in a picture is a mystery to me. As you speculate, perhaps an attempt to install a vent by a prior owner.

A friend of mine has an '86 E-38-200, and the deck tooling has no provision for a chimney.

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Loren's correct. I was reading page 4 which is the E38 interior not the E38-200. The E38-200 brochure here on the site from ~1990 has both models in it.

I wonder if there was a factory option for the bulkhead stove in the E38-200? Could also have been a PO install/removal?

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Off topic, but it's the Raftup

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/vbdownloads.php?do=file&fileid=119

You know, those brochures are confusing. The combined brochure offers either the original 38 layout (privacy cage around the qberth, drip locker by the galley, split starboard bench) or the -200 layout, with head aft.

To show the vast expanse of each cabin, they took the sales pictures with no mast in the boat.

Cool, because a mast in a cabin really does make for interior design challenges, and so why not just sort of forget to show potential buyers there is one?

The E38 appeared in 1980, and the E38-200 not until 1986.

However, in 1983 the E381 superceded the original 38, considerably changing the interior by dispensing with the qberth cage, the split cabin bench and the drip locker, and redesigning the V-berth.

So--why does the 381 not appear in the "you have your choice between E38 or E38-200?

Beats me. Are the years of introduction wrong? They come from sailboatdata.com, and can be corrected if they are.

Or did "custom" interiors fatally muddy any possible understanding the the design sequence?

Look, ma, no mast in the way!

E38 brochure Capture.jpg

Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Christian, As much as I would appreciate the low maintenance of the stainless rails I prefer the warm look of the teak! They also complement the teak finger pulls in the cockpit storage lids! Now was the fireplace factory or not? There is this strange metal clip on the starboard bulkhead!

Attachments

• 20190329_204822.jpg
    20190329_204822.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190329_204930.jpg
    20190329_204930.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Loren, Thank you for painstakingly roatating all of my previous photos! My Samsung S7edge seems to randomly post them. For all the Samsung users if you edit the photo with photo editor you can select adjust, then aspect ratio; select 4:3 that should set them straight when uploaded. Also how do you guys know your hull number? Is that part of the hull id number?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That clip is a mounting bracket for a small table. An L-shaped piece on the table edge sockets into it. Someone might have used it for some other purpose...

IDK if it's relevant to your boat, but I've looked around for replacement teak handrails and they don't seem to make them any more with the same loop spacing as they did in 1970. :confused: (Mine have to match up with identical ones on the inside.) Maybe not too difficult to make, but I'll bet it's a tedious project.

David Grimm

E38-200
Toddster, For a table? Hmm. Idk. I searched for an Ericson fireplace/stove on the net and came up with nothing for sale or even a photo. Christian, Thank you for the spanking! I figured it out. I love the mastless photo. The wood looks so new and bare. Do you think they came that way?

No disrespect meant guys.

Dave.