• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Question

jschara

I recently saw a Ericson 27 for sale. The add says that the motor will probably need a rebuild. It's a Volvo Penta Diesel with 750 hours on it. Not knowing anything about diesel motors, (or most things) is that a lot of hours? Also, what would one expect to pay for a rebuild?

Jim

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Rebuild Cost

Rebuild costs can vary considerably depending on the actual condition of the engine. A quality rebuilt engine could cost as much as 4 to 5 thousand dollars, if you can find one. I rebuilt my own Universal M-12 for a fraction of that.

sgwright67

Member III
It's interesting how many sailboat diesels I see that are dead or require a rebuild at <2k hours. To me, this suggests poor maintenance. Properly maintained, these engines should easily go 4-6k hours or more before requiring a rebuild. Before tearing into any diesel, and especially one with expensive or difficult to obtain parts, I'd be looking at replacing all filters and fluids, checking injectors, fuel lines and tank, and doing a compression test (testers are cheap online). If the engine runs, but not well, often running a can of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge through the fuel system will clean things up - run the engine directly from the can for best effect.
Diesels are very simple, needing only compression and fuel to run (injection timing and spray pattern are important for good running, but I've seen them run with both in far less than ideal conditions).

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Charlotte

That boat is located in Charlotte, VT on Lake Champlain not far from where I am. Been for sale for quite a while.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good example of a nice model aging out. Well, it had its day. Old saildrive is a nightmare.

(JS, what that means is the cost of necessary repairs and upgrades means there will always be a similar boat for sale for net less. The result is that the subject boat may have no market value at all, except as parts. And you can't keep a boat around for sentimental value if there are monthly fees, that gets old fast. Not saying someone won't buy this boat, just that it's not the bargain it might appear to be. A better economic deal is the same model and year for $7,500--upgraded and ready to sail).

Last edited: