• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The Work Begins - Caution-long post.

pclements

Raconteur
Hi All
Both my bilge pumps failed during the delivery. This was scary because the boat was taking on water. Some thru a leaking heat exchanger and the associated hoses, some thru the stern gland that drips when in gear (boat appears to have a Lasdrop from what I can gather), some from heavy weather upwind sailing, and I am guessing thru the rudder shaft. The floors were awash when healed. I have a Jabsco remote mounted bilge pump with filter, but the pump still failed with fine black stuff getting thru. The Whale Gusher 10 Mk3 would not prime or pump. I changed the Jabsco for a spare (brand new) at home, and it worked for 10 minutes until the fine black stuff got thru. This was after sponging out the bilges until virtually dry. I poured water into the bilge to continue the cleaning process, the new pump stopped pumping. I serviced the old and will change it again. I have replaced all the valves on the Whale gusher but the bulkhead flange is broken (see picture), is this part still available? The fresh water circulating pump on the motor (M35B) also failed and is spraying water (next job to tackle until haul-out). How do I identify what the equivalent Kubota motor is (there is a Kubota agent in Australia. Thank you and Best regards - Philip.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 204

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
How do I identify what the equivalent Kubota motor is (there is a Kubota agent in Australia.

There's a good starting point for converting Universal to Kubota here:

https://www.catalina36.org/members/encyclopedias/kubota-equivalents

There are also sources which cross-reference the Universal part number to the equivalent Kubota part number. In my case, I have a PDF of the manual for the Universal M25, and I have a parts manual for the equivalent Kubota engine. The parts diagrams are identical until you get out to ancillary things (like, heat-exchanger vs. radiator)...but the numbers are different, and it has been really useful to be able to take the Kubota part number in when talking with the dealer.

Bruce

markvone

Sustaining Member
I've heard you will also need the Kubota tractor model number (as well as the engine model #) to find Kubota equivalent P/N at the Kubota dealer. They are both in the link Bruce provided.

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Iʻll single out the Jabsco bilge pump clogging issue--is this a diaphragm pump or an impeller pump?

Let us know when you figure out what clogged it.

Also, itʻs good to title posts about specific issues. That way the title of the post draws the experts to it.

You can simultaneously start any number of discussions, and feel free to. Each thread lives for days and years, and the best information may not come along until the right member sees it.

pclements

Raconteur
Bilge Pump and motor Issue

Hi Loren - Both bottom holes are also cracked - only one good one. Guy at work offered to 3 D print for me but this is going to take long and likely be expensive. I am considering making one out of ply and epoxy. I will re-mount the Whale gusher and see how that goes.
Christian - good point about the separate threads. I spent the whole day changing out the Jabsco - two pumps 3 x times - it is a diaphragm pump. One does not pump even tho' it was stripped and cleaned. Finally found that the inlet to the stainless filter had hard gunk that reduced the water flow to a trickle, even tho' thru' the clear plastic it appeared to be flowing.
Bruce - great info RE: the Kubota equivalent, printed and saved! I will go to the agent and see what they have. My neighbour has offered his wet and dry shop vac to flush and pump the bilges to get the gunk out - hooray!! I am going down tomorrow to start. Will do the motor next week and see how that goes. Thank you to all - I am humbled by the info so freely given - thank you.

Philip

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Whale Trim Plates

I have two of them but don't know about the efficiency of sending one around to the other side of the globe. Should be able to source these through a Whale dealer.

Attachments

• Whale Plates (640x480).jpg
    Whale Plates (640x480).jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 156

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Philip,

Yes, diaphragm pumps are strainer-sensitive, and the strainer ought to be easy to observe and bang out. When you get around to it, the entire bilge needs to be cleaned. My strainer is in the pickup hose--
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-pump-problems&p=112589&viewfull=1#post112589

More here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?421-Bilge-Pump-Systems-and-Considerations

Re the Whale, I agree, use four flat washers topped with finishing washers and the thing will look fine. Or good enough.

Last edited:

pclements

Raconteur
Hi Al
Tried all Whale guys here in Oz - they cannot even find a picture of the part. Guy at work has offered to 3 D print one for a six pack (beers), so I'll see how that goes.

Hi Christian

Nice bilge! My bilge pump is different (see not very good photo). It is a Flojet. Wet & Dry did a great job, I am going to soak the bilges in a 30% bleach mixture and then vacuum again. I don't know why the photos rotate. The bilge pump is under the sink screwed to the side of the freezer box, you can just make out the filter on the other side.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Are you sure you want to replace that pump with the same type? Seems I've read over the years that many users have stopped using the aluminum-bodied Whale bilge pump. It just doesn't hold up in salt water. If you switch to the plastic Whale pump you'll get a new face-plate with it and, apparently, the holes don't match up with the original aluminum one anyway. Maybe those who've replaced with the plastic pump will chime in with more.

pclements

Raconteur
Hi Ken

When I read up on everyone's experience with these, that was my first inclination. I have so many projects to get this boat right that cost is creeping in. I need to spend on critical items right now. So I lightly scuffed the corrosion (not much), wiped down with acetone and epoxied all the sealing faces and exposed metal, and replaced all the seals (spares came with the boat), only took a few minutes. The pump also looks new, so I will return it to service for now. Cheers

Last edited: