• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering wheel wrap

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Out sailing yesterday, it struck me that replacing the wheel cover might be an easy way to spruce up my cockpit. Specialized sailboat wheel covers are boat-expensive, though -- has anyone ever considered using bicycle handlebar tape? Hardy outdoors material, comes into contact with a lot of saltwater - would require a bit of patience to get on the wheel nicely but could still come out quite a bit cheaper than a "real" wheel cover.

Something like this, perhaps:
https://www.fizik.com/us_en/men/accessories/bar-tape/tempo-microtex-bondcush-classic.html

Or anyone have other wheel wraps/covers they'd recommend?

JPS27

Member III
I'm going to try the wrap that was explained in a recent Good Old Boat magazine. My kids are grown and out of the house, so what the heck, I've got time to give it a try.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'm not (personally) a fan of wheel wraps. they're slippery and clammy when it rains, sticky when its hot... They do look nice, but for sailing I prefer a "naked" wheel with a decorative knot (e.g. a Turks Head) at the point on the wheel where the rudder is centered, so I can feel it without looking.

Then again, I'm mostly a casual fair-weather sailor these days, so... YMMV

I do know that Fisheries offers a variety of leather wheel-wrap kits. Didn't see one that looks like it would work out-of-the-box on the standard 36" wheel, but my guess is the 40" kit could be shortened.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/boat-leather-leather-steering-wheel-cover

Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like the gray leather wheel cover that came on this boat. Feels good to the hand. In rain, when thoroughly wet, it moves a bit under the hand. When dry it is tight again.

To me, a wheel is a tactile and visual focal point and I wouldnʻt personally like a nonstandard wrap. And personally, I think those elaborate line-wraps are uncomfortable to the hand and somewhat froufrou. I also donʻt like brussels sprouts. These are facts, not opinions.

My hands are very sensitive, although large, and I like to pamper them, which the manicurist says goes a long way to preserving her art. My fingerprints happen to be unique to me, which is why they are registered with Lloyds of London. I donʻt like a knobby knuckle, or damaged cuticle, or horrid age spots, and the creams and salves Gwyneth sends to the house, believe me, are not that cheap, even with my discount. Hands tell where you are in life, what your social position is, and who loves you, baby.

So, for all those reasons, I like a nice, soft, sensual leather cover on my wheel.

It says who you are.

How to wrap a wheel (ugh! tedious!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnf1EaOZsik

Glyn Judson

Wheel wrap.

Geoff, I chose to leave my varnished teak wheel exposed for aesthetic reasons but did wrap the previous identical mahogany wheel. Now I only have a small part of the binnacle guard wrapped for reasons I can't remember, maybe no reason at all. I think this is called a French hitch and though simple, extremely time consuming to cover the wheel. I have had good luck using 1/8" Dacron line from West Marine. At the time skeins of the line were all connected, 50 feet at a time. I would wait for a delivery and buy 100 feet of the stuff just to be sure, or was it 150 feet, can't remember? Anyhow the point is that I had enough on hand to make it all the way around the wheel with one length of line. Once you get the hang of it, the task and it is a task, becomes kind of fun. Photos attached of the mahogany wheel & guard followed by the teak wheel and binnacle guard that is now in use. Yes, it gets dirty over time but that doesn't bother me. One could always paint it with white enamel and simply touch it up from time to time if that became important. Note that I reversed direction of the wrap on the binnacle just for the fun. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Y:S mahogany wheel.jpg
    Hull #55, Y:S mahogany wheel.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Hull #55, Y:S teak wheel & Harry, 1.10.08.jpg
    Hull #55, Y:S teak wheel & Harry, 1.10.08.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I'm also with Bruce. Had wheels with both leather and cord covers. Great when it is sunny, but once it rains they are cold and wet. Then stay cold and wet long after the rain has stopped. Finally stripped them down to bare SS (also with a single knot to tell me when the rudder is centered) and have been much happier ever since.

YMMV

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy