• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 running rig question(s)

Steve

Member III
A lingering question, -I never have found an Ericson rigging schematic to follow on the E35-3, only a factory inventory list of rigging materials, I've always wondered about the official main sheet rigging layout versus the apparent slight interference with the boom vang at the boom connection. My mainsheet will rub slightly on the vang as it passes by on the way to the final block before the 90 degree turn to the block at the mast collar. Does this sound like OEM or was there another way ?

I'm thinking of adding a large bail to offset the vang a little lower and allow the sheet to pass above. Also my final main turning block is on the boom rather then the gooseneck due to interference with the 2 reefing lines, is this an issue? "long term stress?"

It occurred to me that Ericson would have done this also, so I question if the way I'm currently set-up is correct, although functional. Boy, any photos posted would be great, pics do say a 1,000 words!

Thanks Steve E35-3 #159 :egrin:

Attachments

• DCP_2995.JPG
    DCP_2995.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 164
  • DCP_2996.JPG
    DCP_2996.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 158
  • DCP_2998.JPG
    DCP_2998.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 173
  • DCP_3000.JPG
    DCP_3000.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 165

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Frigging Rigging

What was done at the factory were "deck layout" schematics, which were mostly bare. When I was there, I would take each order and produce a drawing to match the specific order (i.e. halyards led aft, not aft, etc.), and give it to the line guys to build. That drawing then went to the boat file.

The mainsheet rig you have is the "original". It is less than ideal for sure, but that is how it was "drawn".

Note that "original" does NOT mean BEST. There were any number of things that were later improved on, and your plan for the mainsheet sounds like a good one. The boom can handle it.
Any other questions-you know where I live!

Good times!
Seth

Steve

Member III
Boom question

OK, I'm glad to hear the boom is rather strong, and lowering the vang does make sense.

However, do you see any long term issues with my last main turning block near the gooseneck on the boom. I saw a 38-200 that had this block on the mast gooseneck ring, but it didn't have the reef lines or the outhaul led back so no interference. I've heard of folks having a failure at the aluminum fitting and the boom connection, not sure if it was stress related or simple age and corrosion issue. Thanks for the help.

Steve
"ain't this site grand!" ;)

e38 owner

Member III
mainsheet

The 38's are rigged similar to the 35.
most of the problem from the vang can be solved by running the main sheet on the other side of the vang and on the same side as the turning block on the mast. Since the turning block on the mast is not in the center the little difference in the path reduces the friction on the vang.

I have also seen the block on the boom goosneck moved to the same bail as the vang although this increases the force on the block at the base of the mast.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rigging

Steve,

You are fine with the setup you have using the bale at the fron of the boom for the mainsheet block.. What were the failures you are referring to? On what models?
Bottom line is the bale on the boom is very strong, and the blocks and ring around the base of the mast are incredibly strong.
"e38owner" is also right, BTW.
Good times!
S